How to drop currently holing stack

Panossa

[Disclaimer: I just started making mods a few hours ago.]

Hey, so this is probably really simple but the most straight-forward method doesn't work.

I wanted a mod that closes the inventory when you press TAB (since I have TAB as my "open/close inventory" key but Minecraft highlights the recipe book instead of closing it when you press TAB while in inventory screen).

This is what I got:

@Mod(Reference.MOD_ID)
public class Main {

public static Main instance;

public Main() {

instance = this;

MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(new MainEvents());
    }

@Mod.EventBusSubscriber(bus=Mod.EventBusSubscriber.Bus.MOD)
    public static class MainEvents{

@SubscribeEvent
        public void onTick(KeyInputEvent event){
            if(event.getKey()==258){
                ClientPlayerEntity player = Minecraft.getInstance().player;
                if(Minecraft.getInstance().currentScreen instanceof InventoryScreen){
                    player.closeScreenAndDropStack();
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

Sadly, if you close the inventory while holding an item on your cursor, it's gone. That's especially bad considering I want to use the mod on multiplayer servers. (Oh and I have no idea how to check for the TAB key so I used the key code)

How do I actually drop stuff now? And are there any more caveats I didn't notice? Is this code alright?

4 hours ago, Panossa said:

MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(new MainEvents());

@Mod.EventBusSubscriber(bus=Mod.EventBusSubscriber.Bus.MOD)

With this you are trying to register your event handler twice. You probably want to take a look at the docs: https://mcforge.readthedocs.io/en/latest/events/intro/

player.closeScreenAndDropStack();

This deletes the item stack you are holding with your cursor. Just use EntityPlayer.closeScreen().

Also when you set your inventory hotkey to TAB then with your code the inventory will get closed immediately after opening. Because the key input event gets called once on the key press and once on the key release (and also multiple times as long as you hold the key). This can be checked in the event with the KeyInputEvent.getAction() method (returns 1 for the key press action, 0 for the key release action and 2 for the key repeat action).

But note that when you open the inventory with the InventoryHotKey the KeyInputEvent is fired for the key press action ( and depending on how long you hold the key also the key repeat action) and after that for the key release action. But when you are in the inventory and press the InventoryHotKey then the KeyInputEvent is only fired for (depending on how long you hold the key also the key repeat action and ) the key release action.

Edited by Meldexun