Hooking chat commands client-side on multiplayer

harik

GUI are client side.

Not entirely... GUI's extending GuiScreen are client side, but GUI's that extend GuiContainer are server side, though information still needs packets and such.

I am Mew. The Legendary Psychic. I behave oddly and am always playing practical jokes.

I have also found that I really love making extremely long and extremely but sometimes not so descriptive variables. Sort of like what I just did there xD

Not entirely... GUI's extending GuiScreen are client side, but GUI's that extend GuiContainer are server side, though information still needs packets and such.

Everything that extends GuiScreen (including GuiContainer) is client-side. The server side only has the actual Container.

Thats what I meant. Thats for explaining that better... Why do I suck at explaining?

I am Mew. The Legendary Psychic. I behave oddly and am always playing practical jokes.

I have also found that I really love making extremely long and extremely but sometimes not so descriptive variables. Sort of like what I just did there xD

Anyway, since we are talking about chat inputs, there is no need for a container.

Thus Gui is purely client side.

Egg-xactly! ( I apologize for the pun, I am in the mood )

But yeah, may as well get the difference explained before people go weird...

I just have a preference towards command driven interfaces since they're most efficient.

you must be kidding me... yes ok it works well on linux because you have auto complete and drawing all the icons take a butload of time, but for a game ????!?!

sign-shop is the worst system in the world

and really ? efficient?

please tell me how typing "/gold" is faster then opening your eyes:

Wow, could you possibly be more short-sighted and close-minded?  Sure, in your gold scenario a gui display is more efficient.  Though that's not the case for everything.  My mod is an example of this. 

/list <item name> 

is way the hell faster to execute than hitting a hot key, clicking in the textbox, typing what you want, then hitting enter.  Why would i want to go from mouse to keyboard more times than i need to?  I could also just show a list of all items in the gui and have the user click one but that is obviously horrendously slow and requires more eye movement than simply typing in a chat window.

FYI.. you know you can do auto-complete in the minecraft chat window, right?  sigh.

I'm done here.

gui would still win by a long shot

/list <item name> 

is way the hell faster to execute than hitting a hot key, clicking in the textbox,

why do you have to click the textbox ??? ... you could open the gui and already have to focus on it

your method *seems* to be faster because you didn't optimize it for a gui.

so first your text box should be automaticly focused.

after that, maybe for 1 item the cli method will look faster, but when it comes to multiple item then gui will own cli by far

imagine someone wants to buy redstone or get information about redstone related thigns

why not just type "red" and get me everything that has red in it, heck every item that has the tag red in your mod. with only a few item showing up (redstone, redstone torch, redstone repeater etc) i get muuuch more info/time then with cli without

requires more eye movement than simply typing in a chat window.

also, suppose were talking about a more complex item,ones that have a lot of text under them, lets say a sword that has various stats on it (+str,+mana,+hp etc). how can you even efficiently filter those and sum up the information with the cli window ???

can you imagine ?:

sword 1(seller hydroflame):

35 attack damage

+50 mana

+50% mine speed

sword 2(seller mew):

45 attack damage

+90 strength

splash damage

with only these 2 item i have FILLED my cli.

shopping for these kind of items would be terrible

the only place where (i find) is acceptable for cli is

1 chat, because its typing stuff anyway, it make sens that your cli is managed by cli

2 server side stuff, commands like give when run on server side, only and only because some people have server without X11 or another windowing system and run everything via ssh.

and i if you take the time you can make gui that will help you more, make more stuff,faster

how to debug 101:http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/Debug_101

-hydroflame, author of the forge revolution-

I just have a preference towards command driven interfaces since they're most efficient.

you must be kidding me... yes ok it works well on linux because you have auto complete and drawing all the icons take a butload of time, but for a game ????!?!

sign-shop is the worst system in the world

and really ? efficient?

please tell me how typing "/gold" is faster then opening your eyes:

Wow, could you possibly be more short-sighted and close-minded?  Sure, in your gold scenario a gui display is more efficient.  Though that's not the case for everything.  My mod is an example of this. 

/list <item name> 

is way the hell faster to execute than hitting a hot key, clicking in the textbox, typing what you want, then hitting enter.  Why would i want to go from mouse to keyboard more times than i need to?  I could also just show a list of all items in the gui and have the user click one but that is obviously horrendously slow and requires more eye movement than simply typing in a chat window.

FYI.. you know you can do auto-complete in the minecraft chat window, right?  sigh.

I'm done here.

gui would still win by a long shot

/list <item name> 

is way the hell faster to execute than hitting a hot key, clicking in the textbox,

why do you have to click the textbox ??? ... you could open the gui and already have to focus on it

your method *seems* to be faster because you didn't optimize it for a gui.

so first your text box should be automaticly focused.

after that, maybe for 1 item the cli method will look faster, but when it comes to multiple item then gui will own cli by far

imagine someone wants to buy redstone or get information about redstone related thigns

why not just type "red" and get me everything that has red in it, heck every item that has the tag red in your mod. with only a few item showing up (redstone, redstone torch, redstone repeater etc) i get muuuch more info/time then with cli without

requires more eye movement than simply typing in a chat window.

also, suppose were talking about a more complex item,ones that have a lot of text under them, lets say a sword that has various stats on it (+str,+mana,+hp etc). how can you even efficiently filter those and sum up the information with the cli window ???

can you imagine ?:

sword 1(seller hydroflame):

35 attack damage

+50 mana

+50% mine speed

sword 2(seller mew):

45 attack damage

+90 strength

splash damage

with only these 2 item i have FILLED my cli.

shopping for these kind of items would be terrible

the only place where (i find) is acceptable for cli is

1 chat, because its typing stuff anyway, it make sens that your cli is managed by cli

2 server side stuff, commands like give when run on server side, only and only because some people have server without X11 or another windowing system and run everything via ssh.

and i if you take the time you can make gui that will help you more, make more stuff,faster

Why can't I be so straight forward as that? :/