Qestion regarding ID conflicts in the past

Damon

So, it's a little hard to find any info about this, but how come modders do not need to specify IDs for their items and blocks anymore?

I know, I know, it's been some years since Forge does that for one now (seemingly), but I just read through a thread from 2013 in which Lex said that it'd be not possible at that point in time, so how did that change and how does it work?

Just really curious ?

Whenever I say "It's not possible to do right now" I mean that the vanilla code base is written in a way that makes doing that thing require re-writing large swafts of it causing breaking changes with any other loading system out there. So instead of Forge doing it ourselves. We work with Mojang and try to get them to make the vanilla engine better. Which they eventually did, and we enhance to make super resiliant and more featureful.

There is a line with keeping vanilla compatibility that we have to stick to. So we can't just make major changes to the engine itself. However Mojang has been working on both addinjg new content to the game. And cleaning up the engine itself to work better. It's a slow process but it's going.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon