[1.13.2] Capabilites (Radiation)

Simon_kungen

Hi

Alright, first off:

retarded.png.75daf99d247f52134a635d210699cd90.png

I asked before about help with these and got a nice example of it for 1.12.2, but I didn't do much except for copy-pasting their code until it compiled. I kind of pushed it forward and did other things in my mod, but I kind of need to get it working now. I have no idea how to go further.

Summary:

The idea was to start simple: A Capability that should store a single value and going on that value together with timers would give some effects. An API I would use to make some stuff make that value go up on proximity and some other things would decrease that initial addition value (a block blocking you in line of sight would decrease how much that other things would originally increase your personal value is. Armour would also do that).

With all these things working together would add a Radiation System to Minecraft. Every living creature has its own personal value I'll call "exposure". Close proximity to something "Radioactive" would make that value go up depending on the "intensity" and how close you are to it (in your inventory it would be 0 blocks). Made an Issue describing it further here.

After I've mastered Capabilities I was going to start adding additional mechanics, such as our own Power unit. But a radiation Capability feels a bit more manageable, a single value for all living things and do stuff depending on that value.

We got everything on Github, and the files I made is here. And I added this to my main Mod Class:

Spoiler

FMLJavaModLoadingContext.get().getModEventBus().addListener(this::onCommonSetup);

public void onCommonSetup(final FMLCommonSetupEvent event)
    {
        //PROXY.setup();
        CapabilityManager.INSTANCE.register(IRadiation.class, new RadiationStorage(), new RadiationStorage.Factory());
    }

Edited by Simon_kungen
Typo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Thanks 1

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

15 hours ago, Draco18s said:

Alright, umm, no idea if it worked. So going to the next step; how do I apply it to an entity?

@SubscribeEvent
public void entityCaps(AttachCapabilitiesEvent<Entity> event)
{
    if (event.getObject() instanceof EntityAnimal || event.getObject() instanceof EntityPlayer) {
        final IRadiation rad_cap = new RadiationHandler(event.getObject());
        event.addCapability(IntercraftCore.RAD_ID, );// <--- what do I add here?
    }
}

CapabilityRadiation.java

Spoiler

public class CapabilityRadiation
{

@CapabilityInject(IRadiation.class)
    public static Capability<IRadiation> RAD_CAP = null;

public void register()
    {
        //CapabilityManager.INSTANCE.register(IRadiation.class, new RadiationStorage(), new RadiationStorage.Factory());

CapabilityManager.INSTANCE.register(IRadiation.class, new Capability.IStorage<IRadiation>() {
            @Override
            public INBTBase writeNBT(Capability<IRadiation> capability, IRadiation instance, EnumFacing side) {

NBTTagCompound tag = new NBTTagCompound();
                tag.setLong(Reference.MODID+":radiationexposure",instance.getExposure());
                tag.setLong(Reference.MODID+":radiationabsorbed",instance.getAbsorbed());
                return tag;
            }

@Override
            public void readNBT(Capability<IRadiation> capability, IRadiation instance, EnumFacing side, INBTBase nbt) {

if (nbt instanceof NBTTagCompound) {
                    NBTTagCompound tag = (NBTTagCompound)nbt;
                    instance.setExposure(tag.getLong(Reference.MODID+":radiationexposure"));
                    instance.setAbsorbed(tag.getLong(Reference.MODID+":radiationabsorbed"));
                }

}
        }, new Callable<IRadiation>() {
            @Override
            public IRadiation call() throws Exception {
                return new RadiationHandler(null);
            }
        });
    }
}

RadiationHandler.java

Spoiler

public class RadiationHandler implements IRadiation, INBTSerializable<NBTTagCompound>
{

private double multiplier = 1;
    public WeakReference<Entity> entity;

private final int AbsDropRate = 1, ExpDropRate = 4;
    private final int[] levels = {
    };

private int minimum = 100;

private long EXPOSURE;
    private long ABSORBED;

public RadiationHandler(Entity entity)
    {
        this.entity = new WeakReference<>(entity);

this.EXPOSURE = this.minimum;
    }

public void setEntity(WeakReference<Entity> entity)
    {
        this.entity = entity;
    }

public void setMinimum(int value)
    {
        this.minimum = value;
    }

@Override
    public long getExposure()
    {
        return this.EXPOSURE;
    }

@Override
    public void setExposure(long value)
    {
        this.EXPOSURE = value;
    }

@Override
    public long getAbsorbed()
    {
        return this.ABSORBED;
    }

@Override
    public void setAbsorbed(long value)
    {
        this.ABSORBED = value;
    }

@Override
    public void tick()
    {
        if (this.ABSORBED >= this.minimum) {
            this.ABSORBED -= this.AbsDropRate;
            //System.out.println("Current EXPOSURE value is: "+this.EXPOSURE);
        }

if (this.EXPOSURE > this.ExpDropRate) {
            this.ABSORBED += this.ExpDropRate;
            this.EXPOSURE -= this.ExpDropRate;
        }
    }

@Override
    public NBTTagCompound serializeNBT()
    {
        NBTTagCompound nbt = new NBTTagCompound();

nbt.setLong(Reference.MODID+":radiationexposure",this.EXPOSURE);
        nbt.setLong(Reference.MODID+":radiationabsorbed",this.ABSORBED);

return nbt;
    }

@Override
    public void deserializeNBT(NBTTagCompound nbt)
    {
        this.EXPOSURE = nbt.getLong(Reference.MODID+":radiationexposure");
        this.ABSORBED = nbt.getLong(Reference.MODID+":radiationabsorbed");
    }
}

You are using your helper API with the class SimpleCapabilityProvider.java, but I don't have the faintest idea of what that does. I can't even convert it to be used for 1.13.

36 minutes ago, Simon_kungen said:

event.addCapability(IntercraftCore.RAD_ID, );// <--- what do I add here?

You have to add the capability provider instance. The provider sort of "wraps" around the implementation in order to map the static Type to the nonstatic Instance.

I'm honestly not sure how it works either. I'll see what I can do about finishing up my library updates for 1.13 and 1.14

Also, I got that class from Choonster, so:

https://github.com/Choonster-Minecraft-Mods/TestMod3/blob/1.13.2/src/main/java/choonster/testmod3/capability/CapabilityProviderSimple.java

He also split the capability provider class into two, that one's not serializable, but SerializableCapabilityProvider is.

Edited by Draco18s

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Alright, I copied some (pretty much everything) of his code and from CarryOn's Capability Provider here.

RadiationProvider.java

Spoiler

public class RadiationProvider implements ICapabilitySerializable<INBTBase>
{

private IRadiation instance = RAD_CAP.getDefaultInstance();

@SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
    @Override
    public <T> LazyOptional<T> getCapability(@Nonnull Capability<T> cap, EnumFacing side)
    {
        return (LazyOptional<T>) LazyOptional.of(() -> new Radiation());
    }

@Override
    public INBTBase serializeNBT()
    {
        return RAD_CAP.getStorage().writeNBT(RAD_CAP, instance, null);
    }

@Override
    public void deserializeNBT(INBTBase nbt)
    {
        RAD_CAP.getStorage().readNBT(RAD_CAP, instance, null, nbt);
    }
}

I can now start the game and I get confirmation that my Capability is applied to the player:

public static void attachCapability(AttachCapabilitiesEvent<Entity> event)
{
    if (event.getObject() instanceof EntityPlayer) {
        System.out.println("Adding Capability.");
        event.addCapability(IntercraftCore.RAD_ID, new RadiationProvider());
    }
}

But when I try to use it the game crashes with ClassCastException:

java.lang.ClassCastException: net.minecraftforge.common.util.LazyOptional cannot be cast to net.intercraft.intercraftcore.init.capabilities.radiation.IRadiation

Spoiler

public static void onServerChatEvent(ServerChatEvent event)
{
    if (event.getPlayer().getCapability(RadiationProvider.RAD_CAP).isPresent()) {

IRadiation cap = (IRadiation) event.getPlayer().getCapability(RadiationProvider.RAD_CAP);

switch (event.getMessage()) {

case "increase": {

cap.increase(200);
                event.getPlayer().sendMessage(new TextComponentString("Increased."));
                break;
            }

case "check": {
                event.getPlayer().sendMessage(new TextComponentString(String.format("Exposure is %s and absorbed is %s.", cap.getExposure(), cap.getAbsorbed())));
            }
        }
    }
}

And creating an exception with creating a new instance of Radiation() is kind of pointless as it would create a new default one every time.

Edited by Simon_kungen
Truth telling

5 minutes ago, Simon_kungen said:

Alright, I copied some (pretty much everything) of his code and from CarryOn's Capability Provider here.

RadiationProvider.java

Reveal hidden contents

public class RadiationProvider implements ICapabilitySerializable<INBTBase>
{

private IRadiation instance = RAD_CAP.getDefaultInstance();

@SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
    @Override
    public <T> LazyOptional<T> getCapability(@Nonnull Capability<T> cap, EnumFacing side)
    {
        return (LazyOptional<T>) LazyOptional.of(() -> new Radiation());
    }

@Override
    public INBTBase serializeNBT()
    {
        return RAD_CAP.getStorage().writeNBT(RAD_CAP, instance, null);
    }

@Override
    public void deserializeNBT(INBTBase nbt)
    {
        RAD_CAP.getStorage().readNBT(RAD_CAP, instance, null, nbt);
    }
}

You create a new Capability every time you call getCapability. Return your already existing instance instead.

7 minutes ago, Simon_kungen said:

But when I try to use it the game crashes with ClassCastException:

java.lang.ClassCastException: net.minecraftforge.common.util.LazyOptional cannot be cast to net.intercraft.intercraftcore.init.capabilities.radiation.IRadiation

Reveal hidden contents

public static void onServerChatEvent(ServerChatEvent event)
{
    if (event.getPlayer().getCapability(RadiationProvider.RAD_CAP).isPresent()) {

IRadiation cap = (IRadiation) event.getPlayer().getCapability(RadiationProvider.RAD_CAP);

switch (event.getMessage()) {

case "increase": {

cap.increase(200);
                event.getPlayer().sendMessage(new TextComponentString("Increased."));
                break;
            }

case "check": {
                event.getPlayer().sendMessage(new TextComponentString(String.format("Exposure is %s and absorbed is %s.", cap.getExposure(), cap.getAbsorbed())));
            }
        }
    }
}

And creating an exception with creating a new instance of Radiation() is kind of pointless as it would create a new default one every time.

You're trying to cast the LazyOptional of the capability to the capability itself. Instead you should retrieve it by using one the methods that exist for that purpose.

I was linked this article some time ago by helpful persons, and it helped me greatly in understanding LazyOptionals (which function mostly the same as regular Optionals)
https://www.baeldung.com/java-optional

On 7/22/2019 at 9:41 PM, Alekseyev said:

You create a new Capability every time you call getCapability. Return your already existing instance instead.

You're trying to cast the LazyOptional of the capability to the capability itself. Instead you should retrieve it by using one the methods that exist for that purpose.

I was linked this article some time ago by helpful persons, and it helped me greatly in understanding LazyOptionals (which function mostly the same as regular Optionals)
https://www.baeldung.com/java-optional

Alright, thanks. I did it this way:

IRadiation cap = event.player.getCapability(RadiationProvider.RAD_CAP).orElse(RadiationProvider.RAD_CAP.getDefaultInstance());

This seems to be working both in singleplayer and multiplayer, but the problem now is that I need to run a tick function on all entities with this capability:

public static void onPlayerTick(TickEvent.PlayerTickEvent event)
{
    if (event.player.getCapability(RadiationProvider.RAD_CAP).isPresent()) {

IRadiation cap = event.player.getCapability(RadiationProvider.RAD_CAP).orElse(RadiationProvider.RAD_CAP.getDefaultInstance());

cap.tick(event.player);
    }
}

Players are fine, but other entities in the world I have no idea how to do it. I thought of maybe utilizing another tickevent WorldTickEvent or ServerTickEvent, but I don't know how to get all entities loaded in the world.

48 minutes ago, Simon_kungen said:

Alright, thanks. I did it this way:

This seems to be working both in singleplayer and multiplayer, but the problem now is that I need to run a tick function on all entities with this capability:

public static void onPlayerTick(TickEvent.PlayerTickEvent event)
{
    if (event.player.getCapability(RadiationProvider.RAD_CAP).isPresent()) {

cap.tick(event.player);
    }
}

Players are fine, but other entities in the world I have no idea how to do it. I thought of maybe utilizing another tickevent WorldTickEvent or ServerTickEvent, but I don't know how to get all entities loaded in the world.

Nevermind, I didn't see you could fetch for (Entity entity : event.world.loadedEntityList).