Are your villagers not spreading out? Here's an idea.

elantzb

So you built a massive city and you want every nook and cranny to be populated by villagers. The way things work now, it is very difficult to have a village radius grow much farther than the minimum radius.

I've found that the following two changes to the core code can make this more feasible.

1.) Find the line in Villager.java that sets the object's home area. Remove the '0.6' so that the villager will explore the entire radius of the city, and not just 60% of it. This ensures that new doors farther away will be noticed.

2.) In Village.java, look for the function that removes dead and out-of-range doors. Find the line that tests to see if the door is still a door block. That test also checks to see if the door's internal timer has reached a certain number of ticks. You could remove that timer test, or make the doors last longer. Up to you.

Yes, this is a kludgy suggestion. No, it does not address all of the ways that this behaviour can be achieved. But it's the simplest change I've found.

If anyone is interested, I will type up a full explanation of how the village code works.

Yes, my ideas can be naive. But I'm hoping that speaking my mind will inspire those who know what they are doing!

I'd say one vote is enough! ;D

I'll start working on it immediately, and will link it here. I'm absolutely tired of people saying things like,

Oh hey, villagers are attracted to jack-o-lanterns/animals/paintings...

If you stalk them with a door they are more apt to spread into new buildings...

Forcing them into new buildings with rain will make the village radius expand...

Yes, my ideas can be naive. But I'm hoping that speaking my mind will inspire those who know what they are doing!