1.14.3 Tags help

rtester

Hi can anyone lead me to a better place to fully understand tags.  I read this page tags and I do not fully understand what tags do and what they are for.  I know my fence block I made will not connect to each other or other fences without tags.  In the fences.json file I removed the minecraft:nether_brick_fence and replaced it with unclebricksmod:titanium_fence my fence will not connect unless I insert it in the wooden_fences.json file, but my fence is not wood it is a metal fence.  I made a titanium_fence.json file under data\unclebricksmod\tags\blocks and items but it still wont connect to each other or any other fence.

titanium_fence.json

You know what the Ore Dictionary is?

Yes: congrats, now you understand tags

No: go look it up

Tags is, just about, the vanilla implementation of the Ore Dictionary system

• Thanks 1

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Just now, Draco18s said:

You know what the Ore Dictionary is?

Yes: congrats, now you understand tags

No: go look it up

Tags is, just about, the vanilla implementation of the Ore Dictionary system

Thanks

I'll g look up the ore dictionary since this is the first time I heard of it. I am new to modding.

But jut a quick question How does fences have to do with an ore dictionary the name in itself suggests it is for ores.

7 minutes ago, rtester said:

How does fences have to do with an ore dictionary the name in itself suggests it is for ores.

The Ore Dict system was designed so that multiple mods that added "copper" could all use each other's ingots in their recipes (because why would IC2's copper not work in Thaumcraft?). But this got extended to wood, so that oak, birth, spruce, pine, redwood, willow, ceder, fir, etc. into "wood" for recipes that just wanted "wood."

And it mutated from there. Different kinds of "sticks" or "seeds" or "wheat" or "corn" or any other thing you could ever want that someone else might've already made and you want to insure compatibility.

• Thanks 1

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

I just got back from reading the forge docs on the ore dictionary and it is just about as sparse as the tags page. TYVM for the explanation above. But I still do not know what I need to get my fences to work right without adding them to the wooden_fences.json. Which I feel is wrong,  since it is a metal fence I tried to put metal_fences.json and titanium_fence.json under my mod tags directory also and it still did not work.  I just do not understand what files I actually need or really how to declare a custom tag. I even tried to find the tag for the nether_brick_fence that is in the client-extras like fence_gates, tools, armor I find no tags for them either. I just do not see any consistency in the tag files.

Edited by rtester
fixed a few spelling errors

I'm not sure fences connect based on tags, but I haven't looked at it.

There's also a minecraft:fences tag, which includes all wooden fences plus the nether brick fence.  That sounds like a suitable place to add your metal fence.

To add your block to that tag, create a file src/main/resources/data/minecraft/tags/blocks/fences.json in your project, and add something like:

{
  "replace": false,
  "values": [
    "yourmod:your_fence_block"
  ]
}

substituting in the correct block ID, of course.

The "replace": false part there indicates that you're appending your block to the minecraft:fences tag, rather than overwriting it.

If you want to browse all existing (vanilla) tags from your IDE, look for the external library "net.minecraft:client:extra:1.14.3" in your project dependencies tab (at least for IntelliJ, don't ask me about Eclipse).  Under there you'll see all the assets and data resources from vanilla, which can be a very useful reference.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

I'm not sure fences connect based on tags, but I haven't looked at it.

I do not understand what is going on. all I did that I can remember is change the examplemod in the build.gradle to unclebricksmod and all that does seems to have changed is the examlemod%D to unclebricksmod%D  in the runClient, runServer files and upgraded to the latest files .22 and .703 all my crafting recipes seem to stop working my walls and fences stopped connecting. I even changed the build.gradle file back to read examplemod and reverted back to a combination i knew worked and all my crafting recipes still will not work.  so i upgraded to the latest version and put back the examplemod to unclebricksmod.  I just do not understand why all this stuff just quit working. I rared up the project and added it.

Thanks in advance.

UnclebricksMod.rar

5 minutes ago, desht said:

There's also a minecraft:fences tag, which includes all wooden fences plus the nether brick fence.  That sounds like a suitable place to add your metal fence.

To add your block to that tag, create a file src/main/resources/data/minecraft/tags/blocks/fences.json in your project, and add something like:

{
  "replace": false,
  "values": [
    "yourmod:your_fence_block"
  ]
}

substituting in the correct block ID, of course.

The "replace": false part there indicates that you're appending your block to the minecraft:fences tag, rather than overwriting it.

If you want to browse all existing (vanilla) tags from your IDE, look for the external library "net.minecraft:client:extra:1.14.3" in your project dependencies tab (at least for IntelliJ, don't ask me about Eclipse).  Under there you'll see all the assets and data resources from vanilla, which can be a very useful reference.

Thanks for this information but this is a copy paste of my initial posting

Hi can anyone lead me to a better place to fully understand tags.  I read this page tags and I do not fully understand what tags do and what they are for.  I know my fence block I made will not connect to each other or other fences without tags.  In the fences.json file I removed the minecraft:nether_brick_fence and replaced it with unclebricksmod:titanium_fence my fence will not connect unless I insert it in the wooden_fences.json file, but my fence is not wood it is a metal fence.  I made a titanium_fence.json file under data\unclebricksmod\tags\blocks and items but it still wont connect to each other or any other fence. 

I even added my fence back to the wooden_fence file and it still wont connect like it use to. now that I went back to check all my blocks my walls and fences wont connect. and all my recipes stopped working. I just do not understand what is going on I am lost now as to how to fix this problem I am having.

Edited by rtester
spelling error