[1.12.2] Question, OpenGL 3.3+ in Mac OS X 10.14 and above

Ruchia

In related to the mods "AcademyCraft" and "LambdaLib2", with LambdaLib being a library mod of AcademyCraft.

Mac OS X users who attempt to use AcademyCraft experience crash issues.
Examples: 1, 2, 3

Basically, the issue is that according to Minecraft, OpenGL above 2.1 is not supported.
I realized that Apple abandoned support for OpenGL since 10.14, but despite this there are systems running Mac OS X 10.14+ that according to Apple can run OpenGL 3.3+ applications.

I placed the question with the mod developer, refering to information I sourced back to
stackoverflow.com/questions/19865463/opengl-4-1-under-mavericks
stackoverflow.com/questions/38164908/opengl-3-3-on-mac-osx-el-capitan-with-lwjgl :

And according to them, despite it being theoratically possible and them knowing how, they cannot support newer OpenGL on Mac due to them not being able to initiate the core profile before the minecraft window opens.

I was wondering if Forge was capable of supporting this, if there is a way to work around it or do mod developers perhaps need to use Metal Api code in their mods to support Mac instead. (Sorry, I have no clue on coding (and related stuff) myself, but carry slight interests in the subject).
As I myself do not have a Mac, I can't test things that deeply. I have to rely on what others say. (Just asking this for fellow minecrafters stuck behind a Mac)

You cannot use OpenGL > 2.1 on OS X without breaking anything that relies on older OpenGL features (such as a huge amount of Minecraft). Mods should not be requiring higher versions: having the feature optional or providing a fallback implementation is the "right" way to do it.

• Thanks 1

I see. Thanks for the reply.
I'm however not sure if I should tell the developers of the said mods anything, since they seem to be quite proud of their 'modern opengl implementation'. With my lack of programming capabilities it would be like asking for trouble I cannot answer.