How to move player camera, while also making it smoothly

fernthedev

Right now, the camera moves perfectly fine, though the result is quite bad because it stutters a lot. How do I go to making this move smoothly? The method I am using is called on InputUpdateEvent and am using this: 

if(!handler.isGuiOpen()) {
                int multiplier = 5; //TODO: Will be changed to sensitivity and will add a menu for changing this value

//Equivalent to (Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer.rotationPitch += controller.getAxes().getHORIZONTAL_RIGHT_STICKER().getValue();)
                if(deadzone(controller.getAxes().getHORIZONTAL_RIGHT_STICKER().getValue(),-0.1,0.1))
                    player.addRotationPitch( controller.getAxes().getHORIZONTAL_RIGHT_STICKER().getValue() * multiplier); // -1 is down, 1 is up, 0 is stateless

if(deadzone(controller.getAxes().getVERTICAL_RIGHT_STICKER().getValue(),-0.1,0.1))
                    //Equivalent to (Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer.rotationYaw += controller.getAxes().getVERTICAL_RIGHT_STICKER().getValue();)
                    player.addRotationYaw(controller.getAxes().getVERTICAL_RIGHT_STICKER().getValue() * multiplier); // -1 IS DOWN, 1 IS UP, 0 IS STATELESS

}

Edited by fernthedev
Duplicate code

To smooth stuff out you want linear interpolation 

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry for necroing this post, if it's better to make a new post I will, but I have a few questions to ask. First I did accomplish smooth camera movement though it was just adding to rotationYaw/rotationPitch every render update, which if I understand it correctly, is per frame. This would mean that movement is going to be inconsistent due to it being basically frame bound if I am correct. In other words someone with 200 fps will move the camera faster than someone with 60 fps with the same sensitivity and movement. 

So as you said I have to use linear interpretation, though I am not entirely sure how to accomplish that. Should I use Minecraft's code to do this or do I have to create my own implementation?

I've been looking through Minecraft's code and I've seen values such as

(EntityPlayer class)

this.interpTargetYaw = (double)yaw;
this.interpTargetPitch = (double)pitch;

which are modified in

setPositionAndRotationDirect(double x, double y, double z, float yaw, float pitch, int posRotationIncrements, boolean teleport)

Or do I have to do something such as this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36523396/interpolate-function-using-apache-commons-math or https://stackoverflow.com/questions/28961352/java-image-move-along-points-in-list-and-use-linear-interpolation

If so, how do I accomplish that when I only have the pitch/yaw value achieved from sensitivity * movementAmount

You should be able to use Minecraft.getMinecraft().timer.renderPartialTicks in your InputUpdateEvent handler to determine how long it's been since the last tick (that number is a float between 0.0f and 1.0f).  Use this to interpolate; interpolation is calculating a value between two values, e.g. 

float interpolated = oldVal + (newVal - oldVal) * partialTicks;

Obviously that means storing the old value as a copy of the latest value each tick.

So, by old value you mean the old pitch value or old partial ticks? Also is this correct? Because it is too slow at moving and stuttery (Tested with sensitivity = 5 and moves VERY slowly)

double deadzoneAmount = updateSettings().getDeadzoneRight();

double oldPitch = player.getRotationPitch();
            double oldYaw = player.getRotationYaw();

double newPitch = oldPitch + controller.getAxes().getHORIZONTAL_RIGHT_STICKER().getValue() * updateSettings().getSensitivity();
            double newYaw = oldYaw + controller.getAxes().getVERTICAL_RIGHT_STICKER().getValue() * updateSettings().getSensitivity();

double interpolatedPitch = oldPitch + (newPitch - oldPitch) * handler.partialTicks(); // Is Minecraft.getInstance().getRenderPartialTicks(); 1.13 forge
            double interpolatedYaw = oldYaw + (newYaw - oldYaw) * handler.partialTicks(); // Is Minecraft.getInstance().getRenderPartialTicks(); 1.13 forge

// (Ignore this, old comment) Equivalent to (Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer.rotationPitch += controller.getAxes().getHORIZONTAL_RIGHT_STICKER().getValue();)
            if (!deadzone(controller.getAxes().getHORIZONTAL_RIGHT_STICKER().getValue(), deadzoneAmount)) {
                interpolatedPitch = (float) oldPitch;
            }
//                player.addRotationPitch((float) (controller.getAxes().getHORIZONTAL_RIGHT_STICKER().getValue() * updateSettings().getSensitivity())); // -1 is down, 1 is up, 0 is stateless

if (!deadzone(controller.getAxes().getVERTICAL_RIGHT_STICKER().getValue(), deadzoneAmount)) {
                interpolatedYaw = (float) oldYaw;
            }

setRotation(interpolatedYaw, interpolatedPitch);

@Override
public void setRotation(double yaw, double pitch) {
    player.rotationYaw = (float) yaw;
    player.rotationPitch = (float) pitch;
}

Edit:

As of time of writing this, I have pushed the changes to github here: https://github.com/Fernthedev/controller-remap/blob/4d883367b92317c47b33d38b88523d4769b2164d/mod-core/src/main/java/com/github/fernthedev/controllerremapmod/core/ControllerHandler.java#L302-L331

Edited by fernthedev
Added github commit to better show implementation

Bump

Also if you didn't notice, I edited the reply before this with a new github commit if that helps. https://github.com/Fernthedev/controller-remap/blob/4d883367b92317c47b33d38b88523d4769b2164d/mod-core/src/main/java/com/github/fernthedev/controllerremapmod/core/ControllerHandler.java#L302-L331

It seems to kinda work, it still stutters a lot and moves very little.

Nevermind, I was quite stupid and didn't realize what I needed to do until I read your response a thousand times in my head. I basically stored the last tick every input movement event and moved the camera every render update event. Thanks a lot for your help, correct me if this practice isn't what you meant and if it does what I was trying to avoid.

Aaaaaaaand 5 minutes later after posting this, I realize it's still exactly what I didn't want. Well whoops, should have troubleshooted before posting .-.

Well kinda, it works but randomly the camera just stops and starts over as if I let go my joystick and started moving it again immediately 

A video showing this can be found here, showing the problem and how it's affected in different framerates.

Edited by fernthedev
a clarification