[1.13.2] Weird Mod Crashing Phenomenon [STILL NOT SOLVED!!]

Ywes

Ok so basically I opened my mod yesterday and (it was working fine the previous day) and my game crashes.

https://pastebin.com/raw/GEbhDj46 <--Crash file

From this I can see that 

"net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocationException: Non [a-z0-9_.-] character in namespace of location: .DS_Store:sounds.json" is the problem.

I've searched around my mods folder and even Reinstalled the mdk and imported my src folder over and it still crashes. So from this I know it is my mod and not forge.

[22:01:10.925] [Client thread/DEBUG] [ne.mi.fm.pa.ResourcePackLoader/CORE]: Generating PackInfo named mod:yrim for mod file /Users/nathandesouza/Desktop/mood/RandomItems 1.13.219/forge-1.13.2-25.0.219-mdk/bin/main
[22:01:10.930] [Client thread/DEBUG] [ne.mi.fm.pa.ResourcePackLoader/CORE]: Generating PackInfo named mod:forge for mod file /Users/nathandesouza/.gradle/caches/forge_gradle/minecraft_user_repo/net/minecraftforge/forge/1.13.2-25.0.219_mapped_snapshot_20180921-1.13/forge-1.13.2-25.0.219_mapped_snapshot_20180921-1.13.jar
[22:01:10.934] [Client thread/INFO] [minecraft/SimpleReloadableResourceManager]: Reloading ResourceManager: forge-1.13.2-25.0.219_mapped_snapshot_20180921-1.13.jar, main, Default
[22:01:11.085] [Client thread/WARN] [minecraft/Locale]: Skipped language file: .DS_Store:lang/en_us.json (net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocationException: Non [a-z0-9_.-] character in namespace of location: .DS_Store:lang/en_us.json)
[22:01:12.347] [Client thread/INFO] [STDOUT/]: [net.minecraft.init.Bootstrap:printToSYSOUT:467]: ---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
// There are four lights!

^ This is my console just before the crash report starts.

Any help is appreciated i've been trying for over 4 hours now.

UPDATE:

OK something weird is going on. My mod doesnt crash if I remove the 'assets' folder (src/main/resources/assets/). So i took everything out of my assets folder to try and narrow the cause down AND IT CRASHES. An empty assets folder crashes my game? My game runs fine if I DELETE the assets folder. But as soon as i put it back in it crashes again with the same error? The assets folder is EMPTY, I REPEAT THE ASSETS FOLDER IS EMPTY!!

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks! :D

Edited by Ywes

3 minutes ago, Ywes said:

Like i said before, I have removed everything in my assets folder (including the language file).

sorry didn't read it quite fully

did you try to create the assets folder new and not just undo the deleted folder ... i could imagine that you have a hidden file in your previous assets folder

But why is it doing it now? It has never happened before and ive been modding since 1.7.10 on this macOSX. Have you ever encountered a problem like this? I know you're like an expert at modding.

7 hours ago, Ywes said:

But why is it doing it now?

.DS_Store files are files that store the hierarchy of a directory as well as the information of the files in it; this provides constant time complexity when searching the hard disk for certain file via spotlight.

However, they can be very annoying to deal with sometimes.

To remove it, simply cd into the directory and rm -rf .DS_Store.

The log you posted only shows the warning, which should not cause a crash.

Please post the crash log so we could figure out what really is crashing.

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

49 minutes ago, DavidM said:

To remove it, simply cd into the directory and rm -rf .DS_Store.

Ok so i tried this and too be completely honest i dont know if it worked. See the thing is apple hides .DS_STORE files in the newest update, even if you have hidden files on.

51 minutes ago, DavidM said:

The log you posted only shows the warning, which should not cause a crash.

Please post the crash log so we could figure out what really is crashing.

I already posted my crash report in my main post but here is my latest anyway.

Spoiler

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
// Everything's going to plan. No, really, that was supposed to happen.

Time: 31/05/19 8:55 AM
Description: Initializing game

net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocationException: Non [a-z0-9_.-] character in namespace of location: .DS_Store:sounds.json
	at net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocation.<init>(SourceFile:35) ~[forge-1.13.2-25.0.219_mapped_snapshot_20180921-1.13.jar:?] {pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:object_holder_definalize:A,pl:runtime_enum_extender:A,pl:capability_inject_definalize:A,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
	at net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocation.<init>(SourceFile:47) ~[forge-1.13.2-25.0.219_mapped_snapshot_20180921-1.13.jar:?] {pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:object_holder_definalize:A,pl:runtime_enum_extender:A,pl:capability_inject_definalize:A,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
	at net.minecraft.client.audio.SoundHandler.onResourceManagerReload(SoundHandler.java:70) ~[forge-1.13.2-25.0.219_mapped_snapshot_20180921-1.13.jar:?] {pl:object_holder_definalize:A,pl:runtime_enum_extender:A,pl:capability_inject_definalize:A,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
	at net.minecraft.resources.SimpleReloadableResourceManager.addReloadListener(SimpleReloadableResourceManager.java:114) ~[forge-1.13.2-25.0.219_mapped_snapshot_20180921-1.13.jar:?] {pl:object_holder_definalize:A,pl:runtime_enum_extender:A,pl:capability_inject_definalize:A,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.init(Minecraft.java:423) ~[forge-1.13.2-25.0.219_mapped_snapshot_20180921-1.13.jar:?] {pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:object_holder_definalize:A,pl:runtime_enum_extender:A,pl:capability_inject_definalize:A,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:345) ~[forge-1.13.2-25.0.219_mapped_snapshot_20180921-1.13.jar:?] {pl:accesstransformer:B,pl:object_holder_definalize:A,pl:runtime_enum_extender:A,pl:capability_inject_definalize:A,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
	at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:144) ~[forge-1.13.2-25.0.219_mapped_snapshot_20180921-1.13.jar:?] {pl:object_holder_definalize:A,pl:runtime_enum_extender:A,pl:capability_inject_definalize:A,pl:runtimedistcleaner:A}
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_211] {}
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:1.8.0_211] {}
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:1.8.0_211] {}
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:1.8.0_211] {}
	at net.minecraftforge.userdev.FMLUserdevClientLaunchProvider.lambda$launchService$0(FMLUserdevClientLaunchProvider.java:55) ~[forge-1.13.2-25.0.219_mapped_snapshot_20180921-1.13.jar:?] {}
	at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.launch(LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.java:19) [modlauncher-2.1.1.jar:?] {}
	at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:32) [modlauncher-2.1.1.jar:?] {}
	at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:50) [modlauncher-2.1.1.jar:?] {}
	at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:59) [modlauncher-2.1.1.jar:?] {}
	at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:44) [modlauncher-2.1.1.jar:?] {}
	at net.minecraftforge.userdev.LaunchTesting.main(LaunchTesting.java:98) [forge-1.13.2-25.0.219_mapped_snapshot_20180921-1.13.jar:?] {}

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Head --
Thread: Client thread
Stacktrace:
	at net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocation.<init>(SourceFile:35)
	at net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocation.<init>(SourceFile:47)
	at net.minecraft.client.audio.SoundHandler.onResourceManagerReload(SoundHandler.java:70)
	at net.minecraft.resources.SimpleReloadableResourceManager.addReloadListener(SimpleReloadableResourceManager.java:114)
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.init(Minecraft.java:423)

-- Initialization --
Details:
Stacktrace:
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:345)
	at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:144)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
	at net.minecraftforge.userdev.FMLUserdevClientLaunchProvider.lambda$launchService$0(FMLUserdevClientLaunchProvider.java:55)
	at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.launch(LaunchServiceHandlerDecorator.java:19)
	at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:32)
	at cpw.mods.modlauncher.LaunchServiceHandler.launch(LaunchServiceHandler.java:50)
	at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:59)
	at cpw.mods.modlauncher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:44)
	at net.minecraftforge.userdev.LaunchTesting.main(LaunchTesting.java:98)

-- System Details --
Details:
	Minecraft Version: 1.13.2
	Operating System: Mac OS X (x86_64) version 10.14.5
	Java Version: 1.8.0_211, Oracle Corporation
	Java VM Version: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation
	Memory: 236591344 bytes (225 MB) / 530579456 bytes (506 MB) up to 954728448 bytes (910 MB)
	JVM Flags: 1 total; -Xss1M
	FML: New FML!
	Loaded coremods (and transformers): Nothing
	Launched Version: MOD_DEV
	LWJGL: 3.1.6 build 14
	OpenGL: Intel HD Graphics 4000 OpenGL Engine GL version 2.1 INTEL-12.9.22, Intel Inc.
	GL Caps: Using GL 1.3 multitexturing.
Using GL 1.3 texture combiners.
Using framebuffer objects because ARB_framebuffer_object is supported and separate blending is supported.
Shaders are available because OpenGL 2.1 is supported.
VBOs are available because OpenGL 1.5 is supported.

Using VBOs: Yes
	Is Modded: Definitely; Client brand changed to 'forge'
	Type: Client (map_client.txt)
	Resource Packs: 
	Current Language: English (US)
	Profiler Position: N/A (disabled)
	CPU: 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz

Thank you!

Running ls -ld .* would show all hidden files in the current directory. You could use that to test for .DS_Store.

Edited by DavidM

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

Ok i deleted the .DS_STORE files but to no avail. But i discovered something very interesting. 

So basically I redid my entire assets folder except this time i made them in eclipse instead of creating folders and it worked (without any files).

But as soon as i moved my files (the .lang and json ect) it crashed again with the same error. 

So i redid the whole assets package again and i made the .jsons and .lang files inside eclipse itself and it worked, no more crashing. UNTIL i refreshed my wrokspace and now its crashing again.

Do you have any idea whats going on?

4 hours ago, Ywes said:

Ok i deleted the .DS_STORE files but to no avail. But i discovered something very interesting. 

So basically I redid my entire assets folder except this time i made them in eclipse instead of creating folders and it worked (without any files).

But as soon as i moved my files (the .lang and json ect) it crashed again with the same error. 

So i redid the whole assets package again and i made the .jsons and .lang files inside eclipse itself and it worked, no more crashing. UNTIL i refreshed my wrokspace and now its crashing again.

Do you have any idea whats going on?

Yes. .DS_Store updates every time a file/sub directory name changes, a file/sub directory is added/deleted, or a file is edited.

When you create a folder or file in eclipse, it seems that the action will not trigger a .DS_Store update.

Creating a folder via Finder will cause an update.

There is probably a way to disable the generation of DSstore via a command, but I don’t know it. Try google it up.

2 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

Jesus lord. It's as if they make their OS more unusable with every update.

Apple do patronize its user. To illustrate, you cannot create a new text file in Mac OS via right click because Apple thinks “adding the option to create an empty text file might confuse the user; they should use tools they are working with, like Pages or Keynote, to create new files”.

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

• 4 months later...
On 5/31/2019 at 3:19 AM, DavidM said:

Yes. .DS_Store updates every time a file/sub directory name changes, a file/sub directory is added/deleted, or a file is edited.

When you create a folder or file in eclipse, it seems that the action will not trigger a .DS_Store update.

Creating a folder via Finder will cause an update.

There is probably a way to disable the generation of DSstore via a command, but I don’t know it. Try google it up.

Apple do patronize its user. To illustrate, you cannot create a new text file in Mac OS via right click because Apple thinks “adding the option to create an empty text file might confuse the user; they should use tools they are working with, like Pages or Keynote, to create new files”.

I also have a problem with this, even though this may be a little back I wish I could get some assistance.

net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocationException: Non [a-z0-9_.-] character in namespace of location: .DS_Store:sounds.json

15 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

Go ask google on how to disable those hideous stupid files.

I did disable them from being created, yet I don't know how to remove it entirely.

[P.S] Does it have to do with anything alongside my code or just that one thing?

• 2 months later...
On 1/5/2020 at 10:32 AM, kwpugh said:

find . -name '.DS_Store' -type f -delete

This is also the solution I found.

Please note this only occurs for Eclipse, IntelliJ has no such problem.

Edited by Cadiboo

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

• 4 months later...

Here is my answer. I am also a mac user with the same issue. The problem is that OSX puts .DS_STORE in the run files, crashing the game.

1. Duplicate the mod folder. This will make code editors think you are on a different project.

2. Delete the "runs" folder. This will make IntelliJ (or any code editor, like eclipse) forget about the DS_STORE files.

On 1/4/2020 at 12:21 AM, Max801 said:

I have this same problem even when using 1.14.4. Has anyone found a solution?

Yes, Duplicate the MDK folder and delete the runs from the duplicate. The .DS_STORE file will be gone. Run the duplicate.