How to make a client side command that can also be run on servers

outflows

So what I'm trying to do is pretty simple. I want to make a command that can be run by a player in order to open my mod's gui. The problem is that I want this to be entirely client side and also be able to run it on a server from the client. I know that I could just check whether or not the client types the command in chat by using a ServerChatEvent event but I want to know if there's actually a way to register a command for the client and not for the server and still make it possible to run said command while the client is on any server.

3 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

ClientCommandHandler.

I tried to do that like this: 

ClientCommandHandler.instance.registerCommand(new ListTargetsCommand(new ArrayList<>(Arrays.asList("listtargets", "lt"))));

But for some reason this doesn't work when I join servers

Here are my classes for both the command in question and my commandbase class:

public class ListTargetsCommand extends CommandBase
{
	public ListTargetsCommand(ArrayList<String> alias)
	{
		super(alias, "ListTargets");
	}

@Override
	public void execute(MinecraftServer server, ICommandSender sender, String[] args)
	{
		ArrayList<EntityPixelmon> pokes = PokemonDetection.getTargets();
		for(EntityPixelmon poke: pokes)
		{
			PokemonDetection.privateChat(poke.getPokemonName());
		}
	}
}
package com.outflows.pokalert.commands;

import java.util.ArrayList;
	import java.util.List;

import net.minecraft.command.CommandException;
import net.minecraft.command.ICommand;
import net.minecraft.command.ICommandSender;
import net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer;
import net.minecraft.util.math.BlockPos;
import net.minecraft.util.text.TextComponentString;

public abstract class CommandBase implements ICommand
	{
	private ArrayList<String> aliases = new ArrayList<>();
	private String commandName;

public CommandBase(ArrayList<String> aliasList, String commandName)
	{
		for(String word: aliasList)
		{
			this.aliases.add(word);
		}
		this.commandName = commandName;
	}

public String getCommandName()
	{
		return this.commandName;
	}

public String getCommandUsage(ICommandSender icommandsender)
	{
		return this.commandName+" <text/help>";
	}

public List<String> getCommandAliases()
	{
		return this.aliases;
	}

public void processCommand(ICommandSender icommandsender, String[] astring)
	{
		if(astring.length == 0)
		{
			icommandsender.sendMessage(new TextComponentString("Invalid Arguments. Usage: " + this.getCommandUsage(icommandsender)));
			return;
		}
		if (astring[0] == "help")
		{
			icommandsender.sendMessage(new TextComponentString("Usage: " + this.getCommandUsage(icommandsender)));
			return;
		} else {
		TextComponentString msg = new TextComponentString("Output: [");
		for (int i = 0;i < astring.length; ++i)
		{
			msg.appendText(" " + astring[i]);
		}
		msg.appendText(" ]");
		icommandsender.sendMessage(msg);	
		}
	}

public boolean canCommandSenderUseCommand(ICommandSender icommandsender)
	{
	return true;
	}

public List<?> addTabCompletionOptions(ICommandSender icommandsender,
	String[] astring)
	{
	return aliases;
	}

@Override
	public boolean isUsernameIndex(String[] astring, int i)
	{
	return false;
	}

@Override
	public int compareTo(ICommand arg0) {
		// TODO Auto-generated method stub
		return 0;
	}

@Override
	public String getName() {
		return this.commandName;
	}

@Override
	public String getUsage(ICommandSender sender) {
		return getCommandUsage(sender);
	}

@Override
	public List<String> getAliases() 
	{
		return aliases;
	}

@Override
	public void execute(MinecraftServer server, ICommandSender sender, String[] args) throws CommandException 
	{

}

@Override
	public boolean checkPermission(MinecraftServer server, ICommandSender sender) {
		return true;
	}

@Override
	public List<String> getTabCompletions(MinecraftServer server, ICommandSender sender, String[] args,
			BlockPos targetPos) 
	{
		return aliases;
	}
	}

2 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

Why did you make your own CommandBase class? For a start, it violates the Comparable interface contract. Please use Minecraft's CommandBase and only override the methods you need.

What does this do?

And clarify "doesn't work".

Oh ok, I was unaware that there was already a CommandBase class. That method just gets an arraylist of all the pokemon that I need to retrieve. When I say it doesn't work I mean that I'm just entirely unable to execute the command. All it says is that the command is unknown. I'll try doing what you said though and see if that works.

6 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

So...

You register your client command in an event that is fired by the server when it starts.

Find the error.

Yeah idk that's what someone said to do on a different forum. I didn't really think about it at the time but I see now

2 hours ago, outflows said:

@EventHandler
    public void serverStarting(FMLServerStartingEvent event)
    {
    	ClientCommandHandler.instance.registerCommand(new ListTargetsCommand(new ArrayList<>(Arrays.asList("listtargets", "lt"))));
    }

I think you need to put that in the init function.  

I used ClientCommandHandler and it correctly registered the command, it just never displayed the GUI like it should.  

I use 

@EventHandler
    public void serverStarting(FMLServerStartingEvent event) {
        event.registerServerCommand(new ImageSpawnerCommand());
    }

ImageSpawnerCommand extends CommandBase. I don't know if that would work with a dedicated server though, I use it only for singleplayer.