Why forge instantiates client-side packet handlers in dedicated server environment?

MrJake

Hi,

Question as in topic. I'm trying to get my mod working on a dedicated server and keep getting a

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: net/minecraft/client/entity/EntityPlayerSP

exception.

I understand the concept of sides and I'm registering my packet with correct receiving side:

INSTANCE.registerMessage(PacketHandler.class, Packet.class, id, Side.CLIENT); id++;

As the handler should only be run on client side, I thought it would be OK to use this:

EntityPlayer player = Minecraft.getMinecraft().player;
World world = player.getEntityWorld();

So again, why this class is instantiated when it's only supposed to be called on the receiving side(which is the logical client)?

Should I wrap this up in a proxy and use side specific methods? (Seems kind of useless as it shouldn't be called on server...)

2 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

only register your client packet handlers on the client

I suppose that with regular channel it's not possible?

I've tried that(Not registering client-side packets on dedicated server) and it crashed with unknown enumerator error.

Oh, and for reference, Forge doesn't even have to instantiate the class in order to get a ClassNotFoundException the way you have.

Simply by telling the JVM that your client sided packet handler exists is sufficient.

Because the JVM goes "I have to load this class, I don't know when--or indeed if at all--any given part of it will be executed, so I'm going to check that all of it is valid. To do that I need to make sure any additional classes it references are ones I can find, just in case I need to load them in the future. Oh what's this? I see a reference to EntityPlayerSP, I don't know what that is or where it find it. Crap."

• Like 2

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Yes, It kind of made sense to me, after thinking a bit longer. References also matter...

I'm trying to find a reasonable solution. Why not use @SideOnly after all? I have an interface to synchronize my Tileentity states(and opening GUIs) setup like this:

@Override
@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
public void setState(EnumStateType stateType, State state) {		
	switch (stateType) {
		case GUI_STATE:
			openGui = new RingsGUI(pos, (RingsGuiState) state);
			Minecraft.getMinecraft().displayGuiScreen(openGui);				
			break;

default:
			break;
	}
}

The @SideOnly annotation will not somehow make the associated code only run on the specified side.

IIRC the @SideOnly will cause a crash if the associated code is used in sides that is not specified in the parameter of the annotation.

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

*Referenced

@SideOnly literally deletes the code on the other side. If you have a reference to it that isn't also covered by @SideOnly (even if its never called!) the JVM will say, "Whoah boy! You've got a method call in this class that isn't valid!" and terminate.

• Like 1

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.