[1.13.2] "Correct" way to change a hard-coded value

hypehuman

I'd like to create a mod that increases the distance at which you get the "Looking at" text on the debug overlay. After bumping around in the code (version 1.13.2 - 25.0.149), it looks like the place this is done is in GuiIngameForge.GuiOverlayDebugForge.update(), where it uses a hard-coded distance of 20. Now this is Forge, so I know I'm not supposed to go replacing chunks of code. However, I see no events that I can pull from, and besides, the fields being set here are private. So I figured maybe I'm supposed to extend GuiOverlayDebug and have it reinitiatlize its debugOverlay with a custom subclass of GuiOverlayDebugForge, but the problem there is that both the field and the type are private.

So what's the "correct" way to do this? Should I make a pull request to Forge? If so, would it be appropriate to take that hard-coded value and move it to a static field with a public setter?

Thanks for reading, and please let me know if I can clarify anything.

Edited by hypehuman

You could use ObfuscationReflectionHelper. All you need is to get your hands on the GuiIngameForge instance.

I looked and it seems like they're setting a field called rayTraceBlock and rayTraceFluid. A grep in ~/.gradle/caches/forge_gradle reveals that the names of those fields are "field_211537_g" and "field_211538_h" respectively.

An example of setting one of the fields:

ObfuscationReflectionHelper.setPrivateValue(GuiIngameForge.class, guiIngameForge, entity.rayTrace(20.0D, 0.0F, RayTraceFluidMode.NEVER), "field_211537_g");

I'm not sure how you can get an instance of GuiIngameForge, but Minecraft.getInstance().ingameGUI gives you an instance of GuiIngame, which GuiIngameForge extends.

• Like 1

Ah great, thanks! Looking at the code, I believe the value in Minecraft.getInstance().ingameGUI will be an instance of GuiIngameForge, even though it's stored in a field of type GuiIngame. So that should be perfect, thanks! I think I can just watch RenderGameOverlayEvent.Post and re-do what was done in GuiIngameForge.GuiOverlayDebugForge.update().

EDIT: Rather, take the GuiIngame, pull out its protected GuiOverlayDebug overlayDebug (find the field name for that), and then do as you described to set GuiOverlayDebug.rayTraceBlock and rayTraceFluid.

Edited by hypehuman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, treebranch said:

Good luck ?

overlayDebug is field_175198_t.

Ah thanks, you made it even easier for me :)

Now I'm able to set those fields, but it doesn't get rendered on the screen. See code here. It looks like the problem is in GuiIngameForge.renderHUDText, it calls debugOverlay.update() and then immediately debugOverlay.getLeft(), which converts the ray traces into text, with no method call inbetween. So when it fires RenderGameOverlayEvent.Post, it's already too late. I think I could watch for RenderGameOverlayEvent.Text and then modify getLeft(), but that seems pretty bad because I would have to try to guess at what's supposed to come before and after the "Looking at" lines.

Any other approaches? I still think the simplest would be to just make it a static field (see code), but I'm not sure that would get approved in a pull request.

Edited by hypehuman

5 minutes ago, hypehuman said:

I'm not sure that would get approved in a pull request.

If you make a good use case for it, it’s pretty likely that your PR will be accepted. You could also make a wrapper for the ingame gui and override renderHUDText

• Like 1

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

6 hours ago, Cadiboo said:

If you make a good use case for it, it’s pretty likely that your PR will be accepted. You could also make a wrapper for the ingame gui and override renderHUDText

Thanks! I'll try both approaches. I'll also look at your 1.13.2 tutorial, since it looks like things have changed since 1.12.2.

6 hours ago, Cadiboo said:

You could also make a wrapper for the ingame gui and override renderHUDText

Are you suggesting that I grab the GuiIngameForge from the current Minecraft instance, pass it to a wrapper that passes through everything besides renderHUDText, and pass it back into Minecraft.ingameGUI? Sounds workable, except that it wouldn't be compatible with another mod that uses a similar approach. Would that constitute "a good case" for a PR? :)

12 minutes ago, hypehuman said:

Are you suggesting that I grab the GuiIngameForge from the current Minecraft instance, pass it to a wrapper that passes through everything besides renderHUDText, and pass it back into Minecraft.ingameGUI?

Yes

12 minutes ago, hypehuman said:

Sounds workable, except that it wouldn't be compatible with another mod that uses a similar approach. Would that constitute "a good case" for a PR? :)

Yes. But it might not get accepted anytime soon with all the major work being done on 1.13 and 1.14

• Like 1

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

26 minutes ago, Cadiboo said:

Yes

Yes. But it might not get accepted anytime soon with all the major work being done on 1.13 and 1.14

Thanks! I ran into another problem, but we've now departed enough from the original topic that I made a new post for it: