Formatting an entity's display name, but client-side only?

treebranch

My mod enables custom names for all living entities and changes their display names. There's a section of the nametag that I need to color separately for each client. Essentially I need something like PlayerEvent.NameFormat but for living entities.

Edited by treebranch

I solved this by editing the display names of the client-side entities in Minecraft.getInstance().world during TickEvent.ClientTickEvent. However I have another problem. The code that assigns the nametag involves random numbers and needs to be done on the server, otherwise there's desync problems where both sides see a different number. It uses NBT tags to store that info per-mob, but removing the assignment code from the client doesn't work, since the client never receives the server-stored version of the NBT value. How can I fix this? I might make another thread if I can't figure it out, but if anyone knows off the top of their head it'd be great, since I'm still a Forge noob.

Edit: I'm probably going to use SimpleImpl for this, because the example in the docs shows how to send a simple int over the network, and that's exactly what I want to do.

Edit 2: Forget that, it looks like SimpleImpl simply isn't implemented in 1.13. That or the docs aren't updated. Anyway this issue is still open.

Edited by treebranch

1 hour ago, treebranch said:

it looks like SimpleImpl simply isn't implemented in 1.13. That or the docs aren't updated.

https://gist.github.com/williewillus/353c872bcf1a6ace9921189f6100d09a#nitty-gritty-random-things-ctrlf-section

Specifically this section

network: SimpleImpl -> SimpleChannel

enqueuework instead of addScheduledTask

register free funcs

See https://github.com/sinkillerj/ProjectE/blob/c17ff6e1b7151b9ef12396af47a937bb599bf7bf/src/main/java/moze_intel/projecte/network/PacketHandler.java#L23-L52

5 minutes ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

Thanks. I've been here, but I hit another dead end because apparently there's no IMessage interface anymore.

If you know where that went I'll be ecstatic. But in the meantime I've solved all my problems by just using entity.getUniqueID().getMostSignificantBits() as the seed for my random number generator on both the client and the server.

6 minutes ago, treebranch said:

If you know where that went I'll be ecstatic.

You don't need that anymore. Look at SimpleChannel#registerMessage

It just takes in a bunch of functions/consumers now that take in an instance of your packet and do stuff with it, so basically any class can be an IMessage now, you don't need the interface since it is all done via functional interfaces. Again, look at the link I've provided, it has a clear usage example.

4 minutes ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

You don't need that anymore. Look at SimpleChannel#registerMessage

It just takes in a bunch of functions/consumers now that take in an instance of your packet and do stuff with it, so basically any class can be an IMessage now, you don't need the interface since it is all done via functional interfaces. Again, look at the link I've provided, it has a clear usage example.

As a Java beginner with a very low IQ for networking code, I'm happy to use my random seed approach instead, but if I ever have to implement it in the future I'll use your link as a reference. Thanks.

Edited by treebranch