EntityItem: What is that?!?

kauan99

Here I am again, with my poor English and poorer mod coding skills, to bother you guys once more.

So, I've completed some successful tests, creating a few blocks that do crazy stuff like making it rain and turning night into day and vice versa. Preparing the way so one day I can master GUI, TileEntities, NBT and Containers and all that circus.

I've been reading the code for BlockContainer, and BlockChest for hours now (didn't touch the TileEntity code itself, but I'm being able to figure out it's role everytime it appears in the code - thanks to Senitiel and specially Mazetar for his brief crystal clear explanation on a lot of complex concepts).

Suddenly, a wild EntityItem appears. I read it's code. There's not much of it. But I can't understand what it is. Maybe it's something simple that I can't understand due to exaustion? It's like some kind of "box" around an ItemStack, I think? but I can't understand why it exists.

What's even more amazing is that I understood the rest of the code so far! With all those par1, par2, par3, parFuckYouCode... Who's to blame for those cursed meaningless names? Forge? MCP? Notch?

So, to make it clear, what is an EntityItem? Why do we need that class?

Thanks!

edit: yeah... at the end of the method I'm reading (BlockChest.breakBlock()) there's yet another surprise: at the very last line of the method there's a call to World.func_96440_m(). What the hell?  :'(

WIP mods: easyautomation, easyenergy, easyelectronics, easymoney, easytrasportation, easysecurity, easymultiverse, easyfactions, easymagick, easyalchemy, easyseasons

Oh, so that's the names of things prior to deobfuscation! It makes perfect sense now (I was not sure of the meaning of obfuscation/deobfuscation before now. God, I'm stupid).

Ok, so EntityItem is a dropped ItemStack. Still weird, but ok. I can live with that. Thanks!!

WIP mods: easyautomation, easyenergy, easyelectronics, easymoney, easytrasportation, easysecurity, easymultiverse, easyfactions, easymagick, easyalchemy, easyseasons

Oh, so that's the names of things prior to deobfuscation! It makes perfect sense now (I was not sure of the meaning of obfuscation/deobfuscation before now. God, I'm stupid).

Ok, so EntityItem is a dropped ItemStack. Still weird, but ok. I can live with that. Thanks!!

[*]That's not quite correct :P The names prior to the deobfuscation (the "real" obfuscation encountered in the original minecraft.jar) has names like "a" or "z" or "xy". If you run the deobfuscation, the names will first be translated to so-called "SRG"-names (indices given by MCP), which are called "func_xxxx" for methods/functions or "field_xxxx" for fields/variables. After that, these will be translated into "CSV"-names and they'll get "sense-making" names like "registerIcon(...)" or the like. If the CSV mappings don't contain such a name, the name will simply stay like "func_xxx/field_xxx".

[*]It's not that weird ;) The ItemStack is only for seperately instantiating items (you may notice the actual item class is only instanciated once) to save NBTTags (enchantments, for example), save the damage value (tools) / metadata (dyes) and the stack size. The EntityItem is only there for "outside" interactions with the environment (like picking them up or dying in lava/fire).

Don't ask for support per PM! They'll get ignored! | If a post helped you, click the "Thank You" button at the top right corner of said post! |

mah twitter

This thread makes me sad because people just post copy-paste-ready code when it's obvious that the OP has little to no programming experience. This is not how learning works.

I'm still confused about deobfuscation and all that, but I think that's not critical knowledge for mod codding, so I'm not gonna try to learn any further about that. I totally understand EntityItem now, thank you very much for clarifying that, SanAndreasP!