What makes mojang a "not the best in their class" kind of programmers

TheRPGAdventurer

Minecraft was initially written by someone learning Java. Plenty of early code written by Notch still exists in the game. An example is the IInventory system or the Block -> TileEntity system (There are about 3 ways of doing the same thing). IMO the class-based entity system also leaves a lot to be desired.

• Thanks 1

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

"If it ain't broke don't fix it". It works for vanilla.

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2019 at 2:22 AM, TheRPGAdventurer said:

And these codes are still left unfixed by the current devs?

Probably.  Something to understand is that a lot of later code is written based on earlier code and rewriting earlier code to "fix it" can have unforseen consequences and break something completely unrelated creating a much harder to fix problem because fixing what obviously broke because of the fix might require chasing down what actually is causing the new problem somewhere in between the newly written code and what just broke.  Call it a ghost in the machine problem.

I imagine they could fix the earlier code, but consider that it took a year to re-code Forge with better code and less clutter and Minecraft is likely a lot more complex than Forge.  I don't want to know how long that re-code would take.

So, sometimes, as Cadiboo said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Edited by digitalNacht

If you have to put a disclaimer in your signature claiming you were being nice in your posts chances are you weren't actually being nice and were likely being rather rude.  Next time, actually be nice.

On 4/10/2019 at 4:52 PM, digitalNacht said:

Probably.  Something to understand is that a lot of later code is written based on earlier code and rewriting earlier code to "fix it" can have unforseen consequences and break something completely unrelated creating a much harder to fix problem because fixing what obviously broke because of the fix might require chasing down what actually is causing the new problem somewhere in between the newly written code and what just broke.  Call it a ghost in the machine problem.

I imagine they could fix the earlier code, but consider that it took a year to re-code Forge with better code and less clutter and Minecraft is likely a lot more complex than Forge.  I don't want to know how long that re-code would take.

So, sometimes, as Cadiboo said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

ghost in the code.... ok that why we have data fixers for fixing items ids for later worlds right?