(1.12.2)Problems trying to load .obj model with a 256x1 palette image as texture

d0048

I am having trouble loading a model file exported directly from MagicaVoxel with textures, but the loader complains about the 1x256 texture palette image associated with the .mtl file for having broken aspect ratio.

The stacktrace of the error:

Spoiler

[15:32:24] [main/ERROR]: Unable to parse metadata from minecraft_ml:textures/ml_blockbase.png

java.lang.RuntimeException: broken aspect ratio and not an animation

at net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.TextureAtlasSprite.func_188538_a(TextureAtlasSprite.java:380) ~[cdq.class:?]

at net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.TextureMap.func_110571_b(TextureMap.java:238) [cdp.class:?]

at net.minecraft.client.renderer.texture.TextureMap.func_174943_a(TextureMap.java:155) [cdp.class:?]

at net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader.func_177570_a(ModelLoader.java:159) [ModelLoader.class:?]

at net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelManager.func_110549_a(ModelManager.java:28) [cgc.class:?]

at net.minecraft.client.resources.SimpleReloadableResourceManager.func_110542_a(SimpleReloadableResourceManager.java:121) [cev.class:?]

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71384_a(Minecraft.java:512) [bib.class:?]

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:377) [bib.class:?]

at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:123) [Main.class:?]

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_191]

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:1.8.0_191]

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:1.8.0_191]

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498) ~[?:1.8.0_191]

at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]

at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]

My model, blockstate file and the corresponding textures are uploaded in attatchments.The model renders with texture correctly when imported into other model viewers like blender.

ml_blockbase.mtl

ml_blockbase.obj

ml_blockbase.png

Screenshot_20190219_153616.png

My resource dir structure:

image.png.207dfefaae1ee5bb8efc1cc6aeb4fc7b.png

Edited by d0048

Yes, from my experience working with .OBJ models in Forge, the texture has to be a square texture, or rectangular (with a height which is a multiple of the width) with a .png.mcmeta file for animated textures. You also seem to have to flip the texture vertically in the blockstate JSON file using:

"custom": { "flip-v": true }

, which I usually place under the "model": definition. If you don't do this, you may find that your texture is upside-down.

Edit: This is true when exporting a .OBJ file from Blender, I cannot confirm if this is the case when exporting your model from another application.

Edited by DoctorLOGiQ
Added a footnote to be clearer about a statement I made