How to get started with 1.13.2 modding?

MegaCrafter10

I've noticed that pretty much everything has changed about the way mods are coded in 1.13.2. There is no more "FMLPreinitializationEvent" and stuff like that so it's really complicated now.

I know forge 1.13.2 is still in a very early state and full of bugs and glitches but I really want to start making mods. Does anyone know some basics like creating items or blocks or where to find some documentation on that?

Most of the things are still the same IF you were following modding conventions. 

18 minutes ago, MegaCrafter10 said:

There is no more "FMLPreinitializationEvent" and stuff like that so it's really complicated now.

I don't agree, actually. Everything is now done using event subscribers. So instead of having EventHandlers in your mod class you now have just normal events, like FMLCommonSetupEvent. You subscribe to them just as you would to most other events. The thing to be aware of is that there are 2 event buses now - the mods specific one and the generic forge bus. Things like registry events happen on the mod bus while generic events happen on the forge bus.

18 minutes ago, MegaCrafter10 said:

Does anyone know some basics like creating items or blocks or where to find some documentation on that?

Not much has really changed. Subscribe to the appropriate registry event, instantinate your things there and you are done. Nothing about creating items or blocks has changed apart from some parameters like hardness now being final - but that's what the Block.Properties or Item.Properties you pass to the constructor are for. Item models are also automatically registered for you now, just as blockstates, so you don't have to register them yourself anymore. Unlocalized names are now the "prefix(block or item).registryname" and the language files are now simple json files.

As for the mod's .toml file the example mod provides a pretty good explanation in my opinion.

2 hours ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

Most of the things are still the same IF you were following modding conventions. 

I don't agree, actually. Everything is now done using event subscribers. So instead of having EventHandlers in your mod class you now have just normal events, like FMLCommonSetupEvent. You subscribe to them just as you would to most other events. The thing to be aware of is that there are 2 event buses now - the mods specific one and the generic forge bus. Things like registry events happen on the mod bus while generic events happen on the forge bus.

Not much has really changed. Subscribe to the appropriate registry event, instantinate your things there and you are done. Nothing about creating items or blocks has changed apart from some parameters like hardness now being final - but that's what the Block.Properties or Item.Properties you pass to the constructor are for. Item models are also automatically registered for you now, just as blockstates, so you don't have to register them yourself anymore. Unlocalized names are now the "prefix(block or item).registryname" and the language files are now simple json files.

As for the mod's .toml file the example mod provides a pretty good explanation in my opinion.

I see, still getting used to event subscribing. I was wondering why I couldn't set the unlocalized name... now I know.

Thanks for replying.