[1.12.2] Registering SoundEvents

PirateCody

I'm pretty new to Forge modding in 1.12 after developing for awhile in 1.7.10. I'm trying to create a music disc, but I can't figure out the proper way to register my SoundEvents. From what I could gather, the proper way is something along the lines of 

public static void registerSounds(RegistryEvent.Register<SoundEvent> event)){
		//Resource Location and SoundEvent stuff
	}

However, Eclipse tells me "Bound mismatch: The type SoundEvent is not a valid substitute for the bounded parameter <T extends IForgeRegistryEntry<T>> of the type RegistryEvent<T>.Register<T>". Being new to the post-1.7 registry system I don't really know where to go from here. 

Thanks

12 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

You most likely used the wrong SoundEvent. You need net.minecraft.util.SoundEvent.

Thanks, that seemed to fix the registration issue. 

Now a more obscure problem that I also ran into in 1.7 is that my sound event won't play. For context, I'm making a music disc. I don't see anything obviously wrong with my sounds.json or other music disc code, but I'm gonna post it here regardless. 

sounds.json

{
  "music_sandstorm": {
		"category": "record",
		"sounds": [
			{
				"name": "sandstorm:music/music_sandstorm",
				"stream": true
			}
		]
	}
}

RegistryHandler.java

@EventBusSubscriber
public class RegistryHandler {

//blocks

@SubscribeEvent
	public static void registerSounds(RegistryEvent.Register<SoundEvent> event){
		final SoundEvent[] soundEvents = {
			new SoundEvent(new ResourceLocation(Sandstorm.MODID, "music_sandstorm")).setRegistryName("music_sandstorm")	
		};
		event.getRegistry().registerAll(soundEvents);
	}

@SubscribeEvent
	public static void registerItems(Register<Item> event){
		final Item[] items = {
				new ItemSandstormRecord("recordSandstorm", SandstormSounds.music_sandstorm, "recordsandstorm")
		};

event.getRegistry().registerAll(items);
	}

}

ItemSandstormRecord.java

public class ItemSandstormRecord extends ItemRecord{

public ItemSandstormRecord(String unlocalizedName, SoundEvent soundIn, String registryName) {
		super(unlocalizedName, soundIn);
		setUnlocalizedName(Sandstorm.MODID + "." + unlocalizedName);
		setRegistryName(registryName);
		setCreativeTab(CreativeTabs.MISC);

}

}

Much appreciate any help

Edited by PirateCody

30 minutes ago, diesieben07 said:

The SoundEvent registry event fires after the Item registry event.

Thanks, that seemed to have helped with another problem I found in my trial and error. Another thing I did was declare the sound event in SandstormSounds like so:

public static SoundEvent music_sandstorm = new SoundEvent(new ResourceLocation(Sandstorm.MODID, "music_sandstorm")).setRegistryName("music_sandstorm");

and then registered it like this:

@SubscribeEvent
	public static void registerSounds(RegistryEvent.Register<SoundEvent> event){
		final SoundEvent[] soundEvents = {
			SandstormSounds.music_sandstorm	
		};
		event.getRegistry().registerAll(soundEvents);
	}

I'm mainly leaving this information here just in case someone stumbles upon this post with the same issue.

Thanks for your help. 

25 minutes ago, PirateCody said:

Doing that just doesn't work at all.

That is how it should be done in 1.12.2 (it breaks other mods if you do it any other way) and must be done in 1.13 (any kth r way will crash instantly in 1.13).

If it isn’t working, it indicates a bigger problem in your mod

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

I'd be curious to know what the proper way to handle records is. I've just realised that my record item hasn't worked since I switched to instantiating registry entries in registry events; because the SoundEvent passed to the constructor doesn't yet exist when RegistryEvent.Register<Item> is fired.

It's possible to override ItemRecord#getSound to return the SoundEvent directly (ignoring the ItemRecord#sound field), but this requires adding the record to the ItemRecord.RECORDS map manually so that Minecraft will display the record name above the hotbar when it's played.

Is there a better way to do this?

Edited by Choonster

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

On 2/13/2019 at 2:29 AM, diesieben07 said:

There is no need to instantiate registry entries in the registry events.

Thanks, that makes sense. I'm wondering how this approach would work in 1.13 with its removal of the current lifecycle events such as preInit.

The closet equivalent would be the mod construction event (don't have the exact name at the moment), but I think that the documentation only suggests initialising registry entries in the appropriate registry events. 

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Here is functionnal Code and method to add a custom CD (itemRecord) and sound (SoundEvent) if this can help

1. Create ModSound Class to init all you sound

Spoiler

@Mod.EventBusSubscriber(modid = References.MODID)
public class ModSounds {

public static final ModSounds INSTANCE = new ModSounds();
    public static SoundEvent gros_vinil;
    private List<SoundEvent> sounds;

public void init(){
        sounds = Lists.newArrayList();
        gros_vinil = SoundE("gros_vinil", "gros_vinil");
    }

// Method to init a Sound Event
    public SoundEvent SoundE (String RessourcePath , String Name){
        SoundEvent NewSound = new SoundEvent(new ResourceLocation(References.MODID, RessourcePath)).setRegistryName(Name);
        sounds.add(NewSound);
        return NewSound;
    }

public List<SoundEvent> getSounds(){
        return sounds;
    }
}

2- Create New Item with ModItem class and your custom ItemRecord class

Spoiler

CustomCD Class :

public class zdermodCd extends ItemRecord {
    public zdermodCd(String name, SoundEvent sound){
        super(name, sound);
        setRegistryName(name).setUnlocalizedName(name);
        setCreativeTab(mainClass.modtab);
        ModItems.INSTANCE.getItems().add(this);
    }
}

ModItem Class :

@Mod.EventBusSubscriber(modid = References.MODID)
public class ModItems {
	// instance of the current item
	public static final ModItems INSTANCE = new ModItems();

private static List<Item> items;
	public static Item gros_vinil;
    public static SoundEvent sound_vinil;

public void init() {

items = Lists.newArrayList();

// SoundEvent variable create again because call ModSound.gros_vinil just don't Work 
		sound_vinil = new SoundEvent(new ResourceLocation(References.MODID, "gros_vinil")).setRegistryName("gros_vinil");

//set new items and their properties
		gros_vinil = new zdermodCd("gros_vinil", sound_vinil );
	}
	@SubscribeEvent
	public static void registerModels(ModelRegistryEvent e) {
		for (Item item : items) {
			registerModel(item);
		}
	}
	// Set the model ressources location
	private static void registerModel(Item item) {
		ModelResourceLocation ressources =  new ModelResourceLocation(new ResourceLocation(References.MODID, item.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5)),"inventory" );
		ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(item, 0, ressources );
	}

public List<Item> getItems(){
		return items; 
	}
}

3- Register Sound and items

Spoiler

@SubscribeEvent
	public void onRegisterBlocks(RegistryEvent.Register<Block> e)
	{
		ModBlocks.INSTANCE.init();
		e.getRegistry().registerAll(ModBlocks.INSTANCE.getBlocks().toArray(new Block[0]));
	}

@SubscribeEvent
	public void onRegisterSoundEvents(RegistryEvent.Register<SoundEvent> e)
	{
		ModSounds.INSTANCE.init();
		e.getRegistry().registerAll(ModSounds.INSTANCE.getSounds().toArray(new SoundEvent[0]));

}

4- Create sounds.json at your modid root and specify every sounds location

Spoiler

{
  "gros_vinil": {
    "category": "record",
    "sounds": [
      {
        "name": "zdermod:music/gros_vinil",
        "stream": true
      }
    ]