Wrench Ore Dictionary?!

calclavia

I wish there was something like that... Hate all the wrenches I have that fills up my chest! Maybe have Forge offer a way to allow a dictionary for mod common items. Something like ore dictionary but not for ores, instead for items that can be used interchangeably. That might be useful. I am planning on adding a system like that to my Universal Electricity API so the add-ons will have no problem using each other's items. But if Forge has something like that, then it might give some use for modders.

Or is there already a way you could do that?

Thanks,

Calclavia

You're right, its modifying code, however, this has been sugested many times.

And honestly, it would be up to the modders to design such a interface that wrenches should invoke.

As well as the fact that it would prolly be quite easy to have modders add compatibility themselves.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

And honestly, it would be up to the modders to design such a interface that wrenches should invoke.

As well as the fact that it would prolly be quite easy to have modders add compatibility themselves.

You're right. Too bad Buildcraft, IC2 and Forestry each have their own wrench (and same for my mod) and they are all not compatible with each other!

You're right. Too bad Buildcraft, IC2 and Forestry each have their own wrench (and same for my mod) and they are all not compatible with each other!

Often the wrenches do different things though, especially based on various states.

What they *should* do it make a mod that includes a few tools like wrenches or screwdrivers or whatever and have their mod require it, but you know how well that works.

Or at least an API they can include that does that but only loads one copy from all mods...

I know as far as forestry is concerned the API allows you to add a wrench of your own to be usable on the forestry engines, but honestly not a clue on buildcraft and such.

Buildcraft has this hook allowing you to add the wrench, but then it's only available in BC 3 which won't be release till MC 1.3 I guess.

That's a step forward at least then I guess, least if you need to add a wrench you can try and make it as compatible as possible. For reference if anyone looks the forestry wrench bit is in.

forestry.api.core.ForestryApi and you use it by doing

registerWrench(ItemStack); and it returns true if it has managed to register it and false if it doesn't.

I thought the tools themselves didn't do anything but the machine just reacted to the right click with the item. Similar to how my machine are set up in steam power. They just look for a right click of the wrench then rotate the machine. What could be done in my code is change it to look for an instance of IWrench which would be implemented by every wrench. Then no matter which mod it would rotate if the item use IWrench .

I know as far as forestry is concerned the API allows you to add a wrench of your own to be usable on the forestry engines, but honestly not a clue on buildcraft and such.

Buildcraft has this hook allowing you to add the wrench, but then it's only available in BC 3 which won't be release till MC 1.3 I guess.

I'm playing BC3 :-/