What's the proper way to register a tileEntity?

MrDireball

I'm trying to register the TileEnity for my custom block called "data_block", but Forge says that the method I'm using is obsolete, and also I don't even know if I'm doing it right.

GameRegistry.registerTileEntity(DataTileEntity.class, Reference.MOD_ID + ".data_block"); //This is in preInit of Main.

I say that I don't know if I'm doing it right because I've also seen different people us all of the following when entering the path string for TileEntites.

Reference.MOD_ID + "data_block"

Reference.MOD_ID + ".data_block"

Reference.MOD_ID + "_data_block"

Reference.MOD_ID + ":data_block"

Edited by MrDireball
additional information

1 hour ago, MrDireball said:

I'm trying to register the TileEnity for my custom block called "data_block", but Forge says that the method I'm using is obsolete, and also I don't even know if I'm doing it right.

GameRegistry.registerTileEntity(DataTileEntity.class, Reference.MOD_ID + ".data_block"); //This is in preInit of Main.

I say that I don't know if I'm doing it right because I've also seen different people us all of the following when entering the path string for TileEntites.

Reference.MOD_ID + "data_block"

Reference.MOD_ID + ".data_block"

Reference.MOD_ID + "_data_block"

Reference.MOD_ID + ":data_block"

I believe it needs to be a ResourceLocation instead of just a String

e.g.,

GameRegistry.registerTileEntity(DataTileEntity.class, new ResourceLocation(Reference.MOD_ID + ".data_block"));

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cptcorndog said:

I believe it needs to be a ResourceLocation instead of just a String

e.g.,

GameRegistry.registerTileEntity(DataTileEntity.class, new ResourceLocation(Reference.MOD_ID + ".data_block"));

Using this method made the obsolete warning go away and seems to be the correct way of doing it, but how do I check to see if it actually ends up getting registered?

9 hours ago, Siqhter said:

How I do it is something like:

Hide contents

public static void register() {
    GameRegistry.registerTileEntity(YourTileEntity.class, "modidyourtileentity");
}

and then call the method in your Main.java init method.

Don't do that, please. You're registering your TE with a plain string and not even prefixing it with your mod ID.  That method is even deprecated in recent Forge builds.  Correct way is:

GameRegistry.registerTileEntity(YourTileEntity.class, new ResourceLocation("your_mod_id", "your_tile_entity_name));

7 hours ago, MrDireball said:

Using this method made the obsolete warning go away and seems to be the correct way of doing it, but how do I check to see if it actually ends up getting registered?

You'll know pretty quickly if you registered it when you attempt to place any blocks of that tile entity. If you can place them, your TE is registered :)  However, if the registerTileEntity() call didn't throw an exception or log a warning in your log file, it should be safe to assume it succeeded.

6 hours ago, desht said:

Don't do that, please. You're registering your TE with a plain string and not even prefixing it with your mod ID.  That method is even deprecated in recent Forge builds.  Correct way is:

GameRegistry.registerTileEntity(YourTileEntity.class, new ResourceLocation("your_mod_id", "your_tile_entity_name));

You'll know pretty quickly if you registered it when you attempt to place any blocks of that tile entity. If you can place them, your TE is registered :)  However, if the registerTileEntity() call didn't throw an exception or log a warning in your log file, it should be safe to assume it succeeded.

I disabled the line of code that I had in Main, and nothing happened. Then I realized that I had put code in CommonProxy to register it, and apparently didn't need anything in Main. So I commented out the code in CommonProxy to see what would happen. I was able to place the block and interact with it and everything, and I saw no indication in-game that something was wrong, but errors were repeatedly logged in the console complaining about missing mapping or something.

17 hours ago, MrDireball said:

I disabled the line of code that I had in Main, and nothing happened. Then I realized that I had put code in CommonProxy to register it, and apparently didn't need anything in Main. So I commented out the code in CommonProxy to see what would happen. I was able to place the block and interact with it and everything, and I saw no indication in-game that something was wrong, but errors were repeatedly logged in the console complaining about missing mapping or something.

Tile entity registration needs to be done on both client and server, so why are you even using a proxy??  While we're at it, "CommonProxy" is an anti-pattern you should get rid of. The whole point of proxies is to implement different behaviour on the client and server; if the same code needs to be executed, then it shouldn't be in a proxy at all. The correct way to do this is to create an IProxy interface, and two implementations: a ClientProxy for the client and ServerProxy for the server. Pass those classnames to your @SidedProxy annotation, and define your proxy object with type IProxy.

As for your tile entities, just register them from your FMLPreInitializationEvent handler.

Edited by desht

On 1/11/2019 at 6:49 AM, desht said:

Tile entity registration needs to be done on both client and server, so why are you even using a proxy??  While we're at it, "CommonProxy" is an anti-pattern you should get rid of. The whole point of proxies is to implement different behaviour on the client and server; if the same code needs to be executed, then it shouldn't be in a proxy at all. The correct way to do this is to create an IProxy interface, and two implementations: a ClientProxy for the client and ServerProxy for the server. Pass those classnames to your @SidedProxy annotation, and define your proxy object with type IProxy.

As for your tile entities, just register them from your FMLPreInitializationEvent handler.

I just learned both Java and how to mod Minecraft a few days ago, so I don't actually know what a proxy is. I was just told somewhere to register TileEntities in a proxy.

On 1/13/2019 at 1:46 AM, MrDireball said:

I just learned both Java and how to mod Minecraft a few days ago, so I don't actually know what a proxy is. I was just told somewhere to register TileEntities in a proxy.

Whoever told you that didn't know what they were talking about. Proxies exist because the Minecraft client and server, while sharing a lot of common code, also do things that other does not, e.g. the client knows about models, textures, GUI's, and the server neither knows nor cares about such things - try to register a model on the server, and it'll crash. So you should be doing client-side specific code from your side-specific proxy implementation. On the other hand, tile entity registration is identical on both sides, so proxies are completely unnecessary there.

Have a read of https://mcforge.readthedocs.io/en/latest/concepts/sides/ and when you're done, go back and read it again.  It's really important to understand this fundamental Forge concept.

Edited by desht