[1.12.2]Safely changing ResourceLocation used to register a TileEntity

FredTargaryen

I want to change the line

GameRegistry.registerTileEntity(TileEntityFireplace.class, new ResourceLocation(DataReference.MODID+":fireplaceTE"));

to

GameRegistry.registerTileEntity(TileEntityFireplace.class, new ResourceLocation(DataReference.MODID+":fireplace"));

but if I run post-change Minecraft with a pre-change world I get the error

[15:23:33] [Server thread/WARN] [minecraft/TileEntity]: Skipping BlockEntity with id ftfloocraft:fireplace

and the TileEntity is gone, because there doesn't seem to be an opportunity to remap the pre-change TileEntity to the post-change ResourceLocation. MissingMappingsEvent didn't seem to fire for TileEntities. My only idea right now is to register the tile entity once with the old ResourceLocation and once with the old one, and then somehow migrate the NBT data over. Is there a better way?
Thanks for reading.

Maybe I do not entirely understand you, but you want to change the Tile's ID, without losing the data from another world? I don't think there is any way to do this. If you change the ID, the game doesn't recognize the TE in the world, which will make it not load it into game. Why do you care about the data attached to this block so much? I'm guessing you are in a testing environment, so changes like this will break existing TEs, but you can just put down the block with the new TE id and it should work the same.

• Like 1

Yep, I don't want to lose data from a world made before changing the ID. The TileEntity stores teleporter data, so on a world with lots of teleporters players would have to break and replace all their teleporters and that could be tedious with a lot of teleporters in the world. I also have another TileEntity which has an inventory, and I wouldn't want players' items to be destroyed. I can keep the IDs the way they are; I'd just like to be able to change the ID to make my code a bit more consistent.

Forge provides the MissingMappingsEvent, I think it also fires for tile entities.

14 hours ago, FredTargaryen said:

GameRegistry.registerTileEntity(TileEntityFireplace.class, new ResourceLocation(DataReference.MODID+":fireplace"));

Don’t construct a ResourceLocation like that (domain+”:”+path), construct it with the overload that takes seperate parameters (domain, path)

• Like 1

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

Yeah, my bad, you need DataFixers for TileEntities. Mojang has also recently open-sourced their datafixing library

2 minutes ago, FredTargaryen said:

because your way is harder to screw up

Mostly the harder to screw up

• Like 1

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)