calclavia

Just saw in the Minecraft forum they announced MC 1.3 for August 1st and they will release a week before that a preview version for mods to have some time to update themselves. I'm not a long term modder so I would like to know how Forge upgrade to new version of Minecraft. Is it immediate? Or taking a few weeks? Also what would the major changes mods will have to make for this update?

1.3 will be a major change.

It compleetly re-write the entirity of how MC functions by adding in the local SMP for single player.

So it'll take some time.

No garentees but I'll work on it as best I can.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Think of it this way.  It will be easier to port your multiplayer capable mod, then it will be a single player only mod (since you will have to make it support the multiplayer code, whether multiplayer or not).  ;)

In other words, making my mod multiplayer now will make the transition to 1.3 easier? If so I might do so, but on the last minute. I always feel that multiplayer slows my development speed down.

Think of it this way.  It will be easier to port your multiplayer capable mod, then it will be a single player only mod (since you will have to make it support the multiplayer code, whether multiplayer or not).  ;)

In other words, making my mod multiplayer now will make the transition to 1.3 easier? If so I might do so, but on the last minute. I always feel that multiplayer slows my development speed down.

In that case, do not make a single player, just make multiplayer.  ;)

Won't be able to debug lol... I'm glad that there won't be this variable called World.isRemote anymore.... :)

Won't be able to debug lol... I'm glad that there won't be this variable called World.isRemote anymore.... :)

Debugging is easy still.  :P

Although they aren't releasing the official API in 1.3, it seems that mojang is working on it.  When the API get's released, what does that mean for forge?  What I've been getting from a few modders is that it will become obsolete.  Figured I'd come to the source to get clarification on the role that forge will play after the official Minecraft API get's released.