[1.12.2] neighborChanged, but with player

Corey

Is there a method similar to Block#neighborChanged that has a reference to the player that placed the block?  I could use BlockEvent.PlaceEvent, but I have to do a fair bit of work and don't want the code to have to run every time a block is placed if I can avoid it.

2 hours ago, Corey said:

Is there a method similar to Block#neighborChanged that has a reference to the player that placed the block?

No. neighbourChanged happens when any additional block is changed regardless of whether it was changed by a player or something else, like a piston. You will pretty much have to use PlaceEvent as far as I am aware. 

2 hours ago, Corey said:

don't want the code to have to run every time a block is placed if I can avoid it.

What exactly is your code going to do? Checking a few blocks around the placed one and invoking a method within them if the condition is correct is a very fast operation. Performance should not be a concern here, and in any way write functional code first, optimize it later if needed. 

• Like 1

I scan the recipe registry for matching recipes (drying around a firepit).  It's not a huge deal since I only have to scan if I find a firepit around the block, I was mostly just curious.  I need a player reference so I can check if the player has the ability to do it.

I'm assuming PlaceEvent only fires when players place blocks, since getPlayer is nonnull, but I'm not concerned about automation in the early game anyway.