how much ram will be needed?

ozm8

Hello im gonna get a modded forge server on a vps using centos 7. Problem is i don't have much experience with running a modded server. I have ran lots of normal spigot minecraft servers using linux but just wondering how much ram would my sserver need for a modded server?

4 hours ago, Insane96MCP said:

Depends on the modpack / amount of mods

Somehow I knew that would be the answer :) well about 4 mods im gonna use a dinosaurs mod with some other mods that add like gadgets and stuff but also with sponge forge with plugins

It depends on the intensity of the mods. You could have 10 mods which are really light which require less RAM than one intensive mod. I'd say allocate 512MB, and increase it if the server's struggling. Allow it a bit of buffer above what it absolutely requires and it'll be fine.

3 hours ago, AntiRix said:

I'd say allocate 512MB, and increase it if the server's struggling.

A Vanilla server running on 512MB will struggle, i generally start with 1GB, adding mods my advice is to start at 3GB, usually 8GB is the max needed otherwise you will lose performance from GC and likely have a poor configuration (eg too many entities)

Vanilla: 1gb

Modded 2gb+

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)