[1.12] Is there a way to color BakedQuad's?

BeardlessBrady

19 minutes ago, BeardlessBrady said:

As the title suggests I want to be able to colour BakedQuads.

If I'm not mistaken BakedQuads store a texture of sorts you can generate that with code.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

I'm baked quads include their color (tint index) but I think you can also use LightUtil#renderQuadColor? take a look at RenderItem#renderQuads for an example

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

I found it thanks! But I tried using it on the quads I want to change the color of and it doesnt seem...to be doing anything.

This is where the Color the Quads: https://github.com/BeardlessBrady/Currency-Mod/blob/3b28b7f982b489298a715e59ee0fe6e0fcf53fa8/src/main/java/beard/modcurrency/client/BakedModelCurrencyFinalized.java

This is the method that colors the quads I quickly made: https://github.com/BeardlessBrady/Currency-Mod/blob/3b28b7f982b489298a715e59ee0fe6e0fcf53fa8/src/main/java/beard/modcurrency/client/BakedModelCurrencyFinalized.java

The colour is a special integer. Try doing

primeList = colorQuads(primeList, -0x445B75 | 0x1000000);

I'm pretty sure you construct the colour integer something like this

int colour = -(invertedRGBInteger) | 0x1000000

where invertedRGBInteger is a normal RGB colour integer except the colour scale is inverted (0x000000 is white not black). I think this is right, I’m going off my memory and this code that I wrote a while ago. I’ll go do some testing and post a more helpful answer

Edit: I have no clue how the you use the color, I'm going to work backwards from ForgeHooksClient.putQuadColor which appears to be where the magic happens

Edit: I'm stupid, the color includes alpha (the alpha value is either transparent or solid, no in-between)

int colorRGBA = 0;

colorRGBA |= 0x00 << 16;// r

colorRGBA |= 0xFF << 8; // g

colorRGBA |= 0x00 << 0; // b

colorRGBA |= 0xFF << 24;// a

renderQuadsColor(bufferbuilder, quads, colorRGBA);

Edited by Cadiboo

About Me

Spoiler

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

I don't think you can easily change the color of a baked quad. The color for rendering quads is gotten by calling Minecraft.getMinecraft().getItemColors().colorMultiplier(stack, bakedquad.getTintIndex()); (colorMultiplier has been renamed to getColorFromItemstack) in RenderItem.func_191970_a (func_191970_a has been renamed to renderQuads). The only way that I can think of to recolour quads would be to modify this method or modify ItemColors to return a different color somehow.

You can however really easily render baked quads with a different color as I showed in my previous post.

About Me

Spoiler

public List<BakedQuad> colorQuads(List<BakedQuad> quads, int color) {
        for (int i = 0; i < quads.size(); i++) {
            net.minecraftforge.client.model.pipeline.LightUtil.renderQuadColor(Tessellator.getInstance().getBuffer(), quads.get(i), color);
        }
        return quads;
    }

renderQuadColor renders the quad. It doesn't change the properties of said quad. So this would obviously do nothing to the quad.

int colorRGBA = 0;
colorRGBA |= 0x00 << 16;// r
colorRGBA |= 0xFF << 8; // g
colorRGBA |= 0x00 << 0; // b
colorRGBA |= 0xFF << 24;// a
renderQuadsColor(bufferbuilder, quads, colorRGBA);

Or you could simply write 

int colorRGBA = 0xFF00FF00;

And have the same effect without the bitshifts and or.

As for the actual question.

Quads are usually stored in the ITEM vertex format which has the color element. So you can absolutely apply color to BakedQuads.

It is pretty straight forward. Each quad contains 4 vertices which each contain the elements of the format in the order specified by that format. In BakedQuads those vertices are unified into a single array:

protected final int[] vertexData;

This doesn't stop you from modifying the vertex data by modifying the array. 

So the logical order of operations would be to iterate 4 times(4 vertices per quad), get the color element in the array by multiplying the current vertex's index with the size of each vertex and adding the offset to the color element. All that data is available to you in the format of the quad.

So basically you would need to create a custom BakedQuad wrapper and change what you return in the BakedQuad#getVertexData method.

This might be tough to understand so here is a functional example:

private static class ColoredQuad extends BakedQuad
{
    private boolean wasRecolored; // Caching whether the recoloring occured.
    private int[] vertexData; // The data of the quad.

// Wrapper constructor
    public ColoredQuad(BakedQuad original)
    {
        super(original.getVertexData(), original.getTintIndex(), original.getFace(), original.getSprite(), original.shouldApplyDiffuseLighting(), original.getFormat());
        this.vertexData = original.getVertexData();
    }

private void recolor()
    {
        // First getting the format of the quad.
        VertexFormat format = this.format; 

// Getting the size of each vertex.
        int size = format.getIntegerSize();

// Getting the color offset. Dividing by 4 because the offset is specified in bytes.
        int offset = format.getColorOffset() / 4;

// The color you want to recolor the quad to. Note that the format for the color is ABGR!
        int newColor = 0xFF0000FF;

// Iterating over the vertices(4 vertices per quad)
        for (int i = 0; i < 4; i++)
        {
            // Modifying the element of the vertex at [i] at [offset] with the new color.
            this.vertexData[offset + size * i] = newColor;
        }

// Caching that the operation was performed.
        this.wasRecolored = true;
    }

// The vertex data getter.
    @Override
    public int[] getVertexData()
    {
        // Recolor the quad if it wasn't recolored.
        if (!this.wasRecolored)
        {
            this.recolor();
        }

return this.vertexData;
    }
}

And here is how it looks when I replace the model of the Iron Ingot with the one that colored the quads:

ironexample.png.2634656f4807f8fa585d49d0f802ca30.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1