Since 1.13 will remove metadata, how do I do some DataFixing/DataFixer, my blocks rely heavily on metadata.

TheRPGAdventurer

Hi yall, I need help for this is my first time to attempt DataFixing my mod rely heavily on metadata, one example is my dragon egg block that is split into custom breeds by metadata, so I want to make it it's own block but the world saves might remember it's old name, all egg breeds are registered as dragonEgg but I have to make each block and fix it.

BlockDragonBreedEgg.class:https://github.com/TheRPGAdventurer/dragonmounts2-1.12.2/blob/master/src/main/java/com/TheRPGAdventurer/ROTD/client/blocks/BlockDragonBreedEgg.java

Wait untill 1.13 is even available for modding, then ask the question. There will likely be a way to hook into the conversion methods to map metadata to corresponding blockstates. Vanilla has this option, why wouldn't mods have it too?

However as of right now it is too early to worry about this. Wait untill an mdk for 1.13 is released.

If you're already working on it, or if you're making new stuff, the best way to "future proof" for 1.13 is to perform the flattening yourself. Basically make all variants of your blocks a separate block. This should generally be compatible and you can move to such a scheme now in 1.12.2.

However, I agree with VoidWalker that otherwise I wouldn't worry about it until we see how 1.13 works and what provisions it already has for data fixing.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, TheRPGAdventurer said:

so all our dragon eggs would jut disappear?

I think he is implying that many mods won't do any data-fixing and so heavily modded games are going to end up having to start brand new worlds. If your server only runs your own mod, then sure, go ahead and look into data-fixing.

Data fixers are a massive mess. Good luck getting them to work, @itsmeow can probably share some knowledge 

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)