[1.12.2] Testing mod compatibility

Leppa

While adding compatibility, how can I test whether my mod works without the mod I'm adding stuff for without building and running in regular forge?

I'm adding the other mod (TCon)'s JAR to my build path and libs folder, then using seperate classes for TCon compat things. It works, but how can I test? If I directly remove it, I get errors (from imports and objects and everything).

Wait, what are you trying to achieve? Are you saying you want your mod to run okay even if the user doesn't have the other mod at all? Or are you just asking how to add the mod into your Eclipse run?

If you have code that references a mod that might not be loaded, you have to do special things to make that work properly such as using the @Optional annotation or creating a special proxy system.

If you just want to know how to add mods to your development environment, I think NolValue is correct except I think  (might be wrong) that the version of the other mod's JAR needs to be the deobfuscated one. You can often ask the mod author for this, or can find it linked wherever the mod's download repository is.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

Sometimes it makes the most sense to just do your testing in the final build environment. I mean you can start mucking around with dragging things in and out of your dev environment, but it doesn't take that long to just build and test either.

I think if you want to do it your dev environment I think you'd set up the mod as library outside the mod folder. During the run it would look for mod jars in the mod folder but in the development environment it wouldn't complain about it not being there. 

But other folk here know more about such things than I do.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/