[1.12.2] Rendering "phantom" blocks?

Kinniken

Hi all,

I have a need to render "phantom blocks", to provide feedback as to where a structure would go. I know some mods to do this, and Minecraft.getMinecraft().getBlockRendererDispatcher() seems to support rendering blocks independently of whether they exist in the world or not.

Is there any decent tutorial on this?

Thanks

Doesn't the Schematica mod do exactly this? Not sure if it uses default structure blocks or its own structure contaiiner, but should work for what you're trying to do. Also lets you "nudge" structures by a few blocks making it WAY easier than default structure blocks. 

That mod is the main reason I'm anticipating the Forge 1.13 release. Game just isn't the same without it if you're trying to build big. 

4 minutes ago, Kinniken said:

Is there any decent tutorial on this?

No, this is too advanced and specific for there to be a tutorial on it.

7 minutes ago, Kinniken said:

I have a need to render "phantom blocks", to provide feedback as to where a structure would go. I know some mods to do this, and Minecraft.getMinecraft().getBlockRendererDispatcher() seems to support rendering blocks independently of whether they exist in the world or not.

This can be done in RenderWorldLastEvent, you must check if the Block is your block/the position of the structure. And if it has a TE that determines if it should be rendered you will need to sync that.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

38 minutes ago, krlsmnk said:

Doesn't the Schematica mod do exactly this? Not sure if it uses default structure blocks or its own structure contaiiner, but should work for what you're trying to do. Also lets you "nudge" structures by a few blocks making it WAY easier than default structure blocks. 

That mod is the main reason I'm anticipating the Forge 1.13 release. Game just isn't the same without it if you're trying to build big. 

Right! I don't use vanilla structures, but that's fine, it's the rendering/OpenGL part I need info on. Thanks, I'll check their code and see what I can learn from it.

36 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

No, this is too advanced and specific for there to be a tutorial on it.

This can be done in RenderWorldLastEvent, you must check if the Block is your block/the position of the structure. And if it has a TE that determines if it should be rendered you will need to sync that.

I'll check that too.