[1.12.2] [Solved] Possible to disable MusicTicker?

FireController1847

So I've been working on a mod that completely overhauls the music system in Minecraft, but I have one issue that I don't want to let my little "hack" 'fix'.

Basically, I have my own MusicTicker that handles its own randoms, but while mine runs the Minecraft music ticker runs in the background as well. Is there a way to disable it outright, or somehow override it, or is the code below the only way of "handling" it?

The code below is how I am handling this right now...

@SubscribeEvent
  public void onSoundPlayed(PlaySoundEvent event) {
  if (AdvancedMusic.musicTicker == null)
    return;
  if (event.getSound().getCategory() == SoundCategory.MUSIC) {
    System.out.println("SONG MUSIC");
    if (!(event.getSound() instanceof Song)) {
      event.setResultSound(null);
      return;
    }
    if (AdvancedMusic.musicTicker.getCurrentMusic() == null)
      return;
    System.out.println("CUSTOM SONG MUSIC");
    System.out.println("CURRENT SONG: " + AdvancedMusic.musicTicker.getCurrentMusic().getName());
  }
}

Edited by FireController1847

I am on my journey of making a remake of matmos, as explained here.

I don't know, just the fact that there's another listener constantly checking for songs every client tick in the background. It's like having two full music systems running. But I have no problem doing it this way, I was just wondering if there was a better way I didn't know about :)

I am on my journey of making a remake of matmos, as explained here.

In modern computing having something that is checked occasionally isn't going to be a performance problem. Even every tick there are literally 10's of thousands (maybe more) checks going on. The only things that will really bog down a computer nowadays are things like large loops or recursions especially if they include expensive operations. But just doing a couple straight-forward checks for value and/or type on the occasion where the music attempts to start won't be a problem.

When programming it is good to think about performance optimization but you should always start with trying to make your code well-structured logically. This helps prevent bugs and aids maintenance and collaboration. If you think there is a possible performance concern then profile your code and see what is really causing problems and focus on that. There is no point fretting over the little stuff when performance is going to be dominated by a couple big offenders.

• Thanks 1

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/