[1.12.2] Help rotating block

adrianrv1999

Hello, i'm really new at minecraft modding but i know some java,

i created a block chair and i want it to rotate when i place it, i mean, like stairs do in vanilla,

i don't know how to look into vanilla code and i don't fing nothing searching,

thanks for the help and sorry for probably sh*tt* question

Edited by adrianrv1999
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, diesieben07 said:

This is not an Eclipse support forum. If I remember correctly, Eclipse will list libraries under "Referenced Libraries".

finded it, thanks ❤️ but still haven't idea to rotate blocks

Edited by adrianrv1999

if you are looking for simple rotation, then stairs may not be the best example. Stairs rotate, but also can be placed upside down and their bounding boxes change.

1) add property facing to your block

public static final PropertyDirection FACING = BlockHorizontal.FACING;

2) set default blockstate in the block constructor

this.setDefaultState(this.blockState.getBaseState().withProperty(FACING, EnumFacing.NORTH));

3) create the proper blockstatecontainer

@Override
	protected BlockStateContainer createBlockState() {
		 return new BlockStateContainer(this, new IProperty[] { FACING});
	}

4) meta-> blockstate and blockstate->meta. a meta value is store with each blockstate. you have to convert this to and from the blockstate property value (below is taken from one of my blocks with other properties removed manually without testing, but think it is ok)

@Override
	public IBlockState getStateFromMeta(int meta) {

EnumFacing enumfacing = EnumFacing.getFront(meta);

if (enumfacing.getAxis() == EnumFacing.Axis.Y)
	        {
	            enumfacing = EnumFacing.NORTH;
	        }

return this.getDefaultState().withProperty(FACING, enumfacing);
	}
	@Override
	public int getMetaFromState(IBlockState state) {

EnumFacing facing=state.getValue(FACING);

int meta=((EnumFacing)state.getValue(FACING)).getIndex();

return meta;
	}

5)set the property values in the blockstate json. (the "mod" is your modid, the "model" is your model json which should be located in assets/[mod]/models/block. If you wanted different models for different directions, just change here.

{
    "variants": {
        "facing=north": { "model": "mod:model" },
        "facing=east":  { "model": "mod:model", "y": 90 },
        "facing=south": { "model": "mod:model", "y": 180 },
        "facing=west":  { "model": "mod:model", "y": 270 },

}
}

I think that is all you need. Good luck. Don't get discouraged modding, once you get used to looking into the minecraft code, it gets easier.

• Thanks 2

There are tutorials out there. Just put some time into your problem before posting here. People (often the same people) have answered the same questions over and over and over again. If your issue looks like you thought it through and did some research, people will be more helpful (in general).

https://shadowfacts.net/tutorials/forge-modding-112/

http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/p/minecraft-modding-containers.html

https://github.com/TheGreyGhost/MinecraftByExample

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, aw_wolfe said:

@Override
	public IBlockState getStateFromMeta(int meta) {
		EnumFacing enumfacing = EnumFacing.getFront(meta);
	        if (enumfacing.getAxis() == EnumFacing.Axis.Y) {
	            enumfacing = EnumFacing.NORTH;
	        }
	        return this.getDefaultState().withProperty(FACING, enumfacing);
	}

This is over-engineered. The check for the Axis being Y and setting the facing to North isn't really needed. The only way this could ever happen is if you used external tools to force the block metadata to be something other than what the allowable states are.

Use EnumFacing.getHorizontal(meta) instead.

@Override
	public int getMetaFromState(IBlockState state) {
		EnumFacing facing=state.getValue(FACING);
		int meta=((EnumFacing)state.getValue(FACING)).getIndex();
		return meta;
	}

This is likewise over-engineered copy paste "I don't know what the fuck I'm doing" garbage. You created a local facing variable and then don't even use it. You even cast the property to an EnumFacing (why?) and use getIndex, which is wrong. No wonder you have to fix things with the getAxis == Y....

return state.getValue(BlockHorizontal.FACING).getHorizontalIndex();

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

• 7 months later...
On 6/20/2018 at 4:53 PM, Draco18s said:

This is over-engineered. The check for the Axis being Y and setting the facing to North isn't really needed. The only way this could ever happen is if you used external tools to force the block metadata to be something other than what the allowable states are.

Use EnumFacing.getHorizontal(meta) instead.

This is likewise over-engineered copy paste "I don't know what the fuck I'm doing" garbage. You created a local facing variable and then don't even use it. You even cast the property to an EnumFacing (why?) and use getIndex, which is wrong. No wonder you have to fix things with the getAxis == Y....

return state.getValue(BlockHorizontal.FACING).getHorizontalIndex();

As i copyed aw_wolfe´s stuff into my block-class, i get purple, black blocks instead of my model, if I placing it in my Minecraft-test-world.

I don´t know, what exactly i have to replace with the lines, you show here as a better choice...

Edited by Drachenbauer

2 hours ago, Meldexun said:

make your own thread

And

2 hours ago, Meldexun said:

show us what you already have so that we can help you.

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

• 1 year later...

HI ! so i don't know someone will come back but I haved the same problem as adrianrv1999 but now I can rotate my block but I still have a problem , my bounding box aren't get rotated. If you know a fix plz help...

I telled nothing sorry

Edited by Aziz
I found a way to rotate it