Spawning Particles on LivingHurtEvent?

jredfox

hi living death event is server side only so how am I suppose to add particles to living hurt event for a vanilla mob? I don't want the same algorithm as the /particle command I want the same type of algorithm as though a mob had died but, with another particle yes it is vanilla particle. writing this code on server side does nothing how to update clients? I am testing with default death particle algorithm might change it

public static void spawnParticles(EntityPlayerMP e) 
	{
        	for (int k = 0; k < 20; ++k)
        	{
        		Random rand = getRND(e);
            		double d2 = rand.nextGaussian() * 0.02D;
            		double d0 = rand.nextGaussian() * 0.02D;
           		double d1 = rand.nextGaussian() * 0.02D;
        e.world.spawnParticle(EnumParticleTypes.EXPLOSION_NORMAL, e.posX + (double)(rand.nextFloat() * e.width * 2.0F) - (double)e.width,e.posY + (double)(rand.nextFloat() * e.height), e.posZ + (double)(rand.nextFloat() * e.width * 2.0F) - (double)e.width, d2, d0, d1);
        	}
    	}

Edited by jredfox

Just now, jredfox said:

hi living death event is server side only so how am I suppose to add particles to living hurt event for a vanilla mob? I don't want the same algorithm as the /particle command I want the same type of algorithm as though a mob had died but, with another particle yes it is vanilla particle. writing this code on server side does nothing how to update clients? I am testing with default death particle algorithm might change it

public static void spawnParticles(EntityPlayerMP e) 
	{
        	for (int k = 0; k < 20; ++k)
        	{
        		Random rand = getRND(e);
            		double d2 = rand.nextGaussian() * 0.02D;
            		double d0 = rand.nextGaussian() * 0.02D;
           		double d1 = rand.nextGaussian() * 0.02D;
        e.world.spawnParticle(EnumParticleTypes.EXPLOSION_NORMAL, e.posX + (double)(rand.nextFloat() * e.width * 2.0F) - (double)e.width,e.posY + (double)(rand.nextFloat() * e.height), e.posZ + (double)(rand.nextFloat() * e.width * 2.0F) - (double)e.width, d2, d0, d1);
        	}
    	}

Use setdead

2 minutes ago, TheRPGAdventurer said:

Use setdead

setdead to what? I am applying particle effects to the player and this event occurs only on server side please explain. I can't just use setDead this is on hurt for the player. 

I might decide to change these to hearts later on

Edited by jredfox

To spawn particles from the logical server, use one of the spawnParticle overloads defined in WorldServer rather than the ones defined in World. These send a packet to players within range of the specified coordinates (or just the specified player if using the overload with an EntityPlayerMP argument) that tells their clients to spawn the specified number and type of particles.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

1 hour ago, Choonster said:

To spawn particles from the logical server, use one of the spawnParticle overloads defined in WorldServer rather than the ones defined in World. These send a packet to players within range of the specified coordinates (or just the specified player if using the overload with an EntityPlayerMP argument) that tells their clients to spawn the specified number and type of particles.

the particle that I am messing with have xyz speeds as well as xyz what does this mean how to translate the two seem like different methods to me?

World.spawnParticle(EnumParticleTypes particleType, double xCoord, double yCoord, double zCoord, double xSpeed, double ySpeed, double zSpeed, int... parameters)

WorldServer.spawnParticle(particleType, xCoord, yCoord, zCoord, numberOfParticles, xOffset, yOffset, zOffset, particleSpeed, particleArguments);

Is there a way I could simply make my own packet to spawn them on client side or do you have a better way maybe the xyz offsets are xyz speed?

Edited by jredfox

12 minutes ago, jredfox said:

the particle that I am messing with have xyz speeds as well as xyz what does this mean how to translate the two seem like different methods to me?

If you look at the method that handles the particle packet (NetHandlerPlayClient#handleParticles), you'll see that it generates random x, y and z speeds based on the speed you specified in the WorldServer method.

If you need more control than the WorldServer methods give you, you can create your own packet to spawn the particles.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

7 minutes ago, Choonster said:

If you look at the method that handles the particle packet (NetHandlerPlayClient#handleParticles), you'll see that it generates random x, y and z speeds based on the speed you specified in the WorldServer method.

If you need more control than the WorldServer methods give you, you can create your own packet to spawn the particles.

create my own class or use the object. Ok so I send this packet I create then how do I make the client do stuff to spawn the particles in just client world.spawnParticles and get the mincecraft world from Minecraft.getMinecraft()?

Edited by jredfox

25 minutes ago, jredfox said:

Ok so I send this packet I create then how do I make the client do stuff to spawn the particles in just client world.spawnParticles and get the mincecraft world from Minecraft.getMinecraft()?

Yes, call World#spawnParticles on the client World in the packet's handler to spawn the particles.

10 minutes ago, Choonster said:

Yes, call World#spawnParticles on the client World in the packet's handler to spawn the particles.

ok I will see how to make a packet and register a packet then I will try this later.

how do I know if the packet is being sent to all players within range? The method you had me look at said this player sends packet well that looks like it only sends it to himself? 

What happens if the server sends a packet to the client that doesn't have it null point exception?

Edited by jredfox

17 minutes ago, jredfox said:

how do I know if the packet is being sent to all players within range? The method you had me look at said this player sends packet well that looks like it only sends it to himself? 

The two WorldServer#spawnParticle overloads without an EntityPlayerMP argument loop through all of the WorldServer's player entities and call WorldServer#sendPacketWithinDistance to send the packet to them if they're in range of the specified coordinates.

17 minutes ago, jredfox said:

What happens if the server sends a packet to the client that doesn't have it null point exception?

I believe any packet sent through SimpleNetworkWrapper by a mod that's not present on the client will simply be ignored. If a mod present on both sides sends a packet that hasn't been registered on the client, an exception will be thrown.

23 hours ago, Choonster said:

The two WorldServer#spawnParticle overloads without an EntityPlayerMP argument loop through all of the WorldServer's player entities and call WorldServer#sendPacketWithinDistance to send the packet to them if they're in range of the specified coordinates.

I believe any packet sent through SimpleNetworkWrapper by a mod that's not present on the client will simply be ignored. If a mod present on both sides sends a packet that hasn't been registered on the client, an exception will be thrown.

Ok how do you send a random from the server to the client or should I be using the clients random for the entity. How do I get the entity on the client side's random?

1 minute ago, jredfox said:

Ok how do you send a random from the server to the client or should I be using the clients random for the entity. How do I get the entity on the client side's random?

You can either generate the random number on the server and send it in the packet or generate it on the client.

You need to send the entity's ID (Entity#getEntityId) in the packet and then get the client-side entity from the client World using World#getEntityByID.

1 hour ago, Choonster said:

You can either generate the random number on the server and send it in the packet or generate it on the client.

You need to send the entity's ID (Entity#getEntityId) in the packet and then get the client-side entity from the client World using World#getEntityByID.

that only works for global ids and there could be hundreds with the same id. Couldn't I use uuid?

4 minutes ago, jredfox said:

that only works for global ids and there could be hundreds with the same id. Couldn't I use uuid?

Entity#getEntityId is completely unrelated to global entity IDs. It's a unique entity ID specifically designed to be sent over the network.

Why would the packet need to specify the entity ID? When you send the packet you've already decided to spawn the particle and you know the location you want to spawn it at. Why would the client need the entity information?

You need to tell the client just enough information to get what you want visually. You know the position (the server can add a bit of randomness) and the server can set the speed (with some randomness). If you let the client set the randomness technically every player sees something a bit different (that usually doesn't really matter), but I kinda like the idea of all of them seeing same. In any case, the minimum information you need to send is just the origin position (and client adds randomness and speeds) and the maximum you could send is position and speeds including randomness.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

22 hours ago, jabelar said:

Why would the packet need to specify the entity ID? When you send the packet you've already decided to spawn the particle and you know the location you want to spawn it at. Why would the client need the entity information?

You need to tell the client just enough information to get what you want visually. You know the position (the server can add a bit of randomness) and the server can set the speed (with some randomness). If you let the client set the randomness technically every player sees something a bit different (that usually doesn't really matter), but I kinda like the idea of all of them seeing same. In any case, the minimum information you need to send is just the origin position (and client adds randomness and speeds) and the maximum you could send is position and speeds including randomness.

no because I need the client to determine what entity needs particles

On 5/9/2018 at 7:24 AM, Choonster said:

Entity#getEntityId is completely unrelated to global entity IDs. It's a unique entity ID specifically designed to be sent over the network.

So I got everything up and running then tried registering it and it's not taking the class. It looks like it worked for minechess but, not mine????? My code has a compile error trying to register it even though it extends MessegeBase which has both interfaces.

MineChess:
https://github.com/MineMaarten/MineChess/blob/master/src/minechess/common/network/NetworkHandler.java

Code:
https://github.com/jredfox/norespawnscreen

ok that fixed it. you require the default constructor.

@diesieben07 

I really don't see how your suppose to do it otherwise since you need an handle client and server side within your packet object unless you want static references or composition weirdness all containing the other objects

1 minute ago, diesieben07 said:

Wat? Did you even look at the documentation? You make two classes. Nothing about "static references" or "composition weirdness" (whatever that is supposed to mean).

in order to actually use it you need to call your packet update server/client and in order for that to work you need variables from your IMessege so you need composition on both sides references or have them in both the same class.

so i asked on the forge discord this is what i got from JamiesWhiteShirt

separation of concerns

one part is concerned with the data structure and its serialization, and the other is concerned with dealing with the message

it would, for instance, allow re-using a message class with different handlers on the server and client side

21 minutes ago, loordgek said:

so i asked on the forge discord this is what i got from JamiesWhiteShirt

So I create a packet and I send it to all players but, the entity id is always mine even when another player dies and the particle id is always 0 which isn't what I sent in.

During the hurt event I fire this code from the server to the client:

NetWorkHandler.INSTANCE.sendToDimension(new PacketParticle(EnumParticleTypes.DRAGON_BREATH,player.getEntityId() ),player.dimension);