Looking for help with assigning player data to the player entity!

cowlegs

Basically, I'm at a stage in my mod where I'd like to take a look at player data that persists upon leaving/dying and is loaded when the player joins or respawns. Only issue being that I can't find any up-to-date tutorials anywhere that help me in this particular area..

I'm hoping to implement a string data value called 'nentype' that has a randomized value from a list of strings that gets set upon joining the game for the first time, and then gets saved for future use.

Could anyone give me a run down on how I might be able to go about this, or link me a tutorial that's up to date with forge 1.12.2?

Thanks.

On 3/23/2018 at 3:06 PM, That_Martin_Guy said:

Take a look at capabilities. Create one that stores a string, and set the string when the player joins.

So I took a look over at the capabilities section on the forge forum (Thanks for that by the way) but I seem to have run into an error...

my;

CapabilityManager.INSTANCE.register(INen.class, new NenStorage(), Nen.class);

line in my CommonProxy seems to have an error, though it's not entirely clear on how I can go about fixing it.

The error messages that come up are as follows;

https://gyazo.com/b4cfae27d3795d1c439c2127dd5d762c

2 minutes ago, That_Martin_Guy said:

I can't really tell completely, but it looks like you're calling that outside a method, which you can't do. If it is inside of a method, post your code instead of showing the error.

Oh, I didn't think of that.

I managed to fix it by putting it within a method, thanks a bunch :)