[1.10.2] Loot pool #addPool --

Glistre

Not sure if I can still request for support for 1.10.2 in this forum, but if not, any advice on 1.12.2 would surely help:  I don't really understand what is a Loot Pool or a Loot Entry.   I am getting a crash on startup on the line #addPool which I have placed into my EventHandler:

"Attempted to add a Duplicate Pool to loot table"

This could be a simple error or related to all the steps I have missed such as registering my custom chest?? I am simply trying to add loot items to both custom chest I have created and existing Vanilla chests.

What should I do?  I could use some help solving the error, understanding how the Loot system works, and steps I need to accomplish adding my custom loot items and Vanilla items to both the custom chests and Vanilla chests?  

Spoiler

@SubscribeEvent
    public void lootLoad(LootTableLoadEvent evt)

{        

if (evt.getName().toString().equals(Reference.MODID + ":glistre_chest_gold") || evt.getName().equals(LootTableList.CHESTS_SPAWN_BONUS_CHEST))
    {
    LootEntry entry1 = new LootEntryItem(ItemRegistry.ancient_book, 90, 60, new LootFunction[0], new LootCondition[0], "Additive entry");-->//not sure what to put here for the String value "Additive entry" is that the json file??

LootPool pool1 = new LootPool(new LootEntry[]{entry1}, new LootCondition[0], new RandomValueRange(1), new RandomValueRange(0,1), "Additive Pool"); -->//again not sure what to put here for the String value "Additive Pool" is that supposed to be a json file for a new Pool??

evt.getTable().addPool(pool1);

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

On 3/20/2018 at 12:09 PM, Draco18s said:

I appreciate the help, however, I do not understand your usage.  Could you possibly help me understand my error as well then your help would make a lot more sense to me?  :

1)What should the string values be for "Additive Entry" or "Additive Pool"  -- would that be the name of your json file for your pool? 

2) Or would the "Additive Entry" String be the json for your item you are adding? 

3) Why do I get a message "Attempted to add duplicate pool" anyway ?  

4) I still need to register this but is that even related?

4 hours ago, Glistre said:

I appreciate the help, however, I do not understand your usage.  Could you possibly help me understand my error as well then your help would make a lot more sense to me?  :

1)What should the string values be for "Additive Entry" or "Additive Pool"  -- would that be the name of your json file for your pool? 

2) Or would the "Additive Entry" String be the json for your item you are adding? 

The name is irrelevant, it just needs to be unique within the Table. It's so other mods can fetch the table/pool by name.

If the name is the same, you will get that message

4) I still need to register this but is that even related?

Register what how?

Edited by Draco18s

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

45 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

If the name is the same, you will get that message

The same as what?  I have tried putting all sorts of different entries for the String "Additional Entry" and "Additional Pool"  I have put the name of the item, random names, the name of the json file for the pool, nothing works.  I get the same error "Attempted to add duplicate pool"  plus the name of whatever I put for that string.  I don't get it.  seems like no one else has had this issue

Show your usage code.

Spoiler

@SubscribeEvent

{        
// 
//    if (!evt.getName().toString().equals(Reference.MODID + ":glistre_chest_gold") || evt.getName().equals(LootTableList.CHESTS_SPAWN_BONUS_CHEST))

if (!evt.getName().toString().equals(Reference.MODID + ":glistre_chest_gold") || evt.getName().equals(LootTableList.CHESTS_SPAWN_BONUS_CHEST))

{
//    public LootEntryItem(Item itemIn, int weightIn, int qualityIn, LootFunction[] functionsIn, LootCondition[] conditionsIn, String entryName)

/*    LootEntry entry1 = new LootEntryItem(ItemRegistry.ancient_book, 90, 60, new LootFunction[0], new LootCondition[0], "glistremod:custom_chest_loot");

LootPool p1 = new LootPool(new LootEntry[]{entry1}, new LootCondition[0], new RandomValueRange(1), new RandomValueRange(0,1), "glistremod:custom_chest_loot");

evt.getTable().addPool(p1);*/

LootPool main = evt.getTable().getPool("main");
    main.removeEntry("minecraft:wooden_axe");
    main.addEntry(new LootEntryItem(ItemRegistry.ancient_book, 10, 10, new LootFunction[0], new LootCondition[0], "glistremod:custom_chest_loot"));
    evt.getTable().removePool("pool3");

That's what i have I rewrote again it still give errors on "glistremod:custom_chest_loot"  ="Attempt to add duplicate to pool...: glistremod:custom_chest_loot

Loot table:

Spoiler

package com.glistre.glistremod.loot_tables;

import com.glistre.glistremod.reference.Reference;

import net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocation;
import net.minecraft.world.storage.loot.LootTable;
import net.minecraft.world.storage.loot.LootTableList;

/** https://github.com/Choonster/TestMod3/blob/7d877920df256a11d7797178addd8d9d32cf92c7/src/main/java/choonster/testmod3/init/ModLootTables.java **/

/** Registration and reference for new loot tables **/
public class GlistreLootTables {

public static final ResourceLocation custom_chest_loot = register("custom_chest_loot");

private static ResourceLocation register(String id) {
        return LootTableList.register(new ResourceLocation(Reference.MODID, id));
    }
}

Json:

Spoiler

{
    "pools": [
        {
            "name": "main",
            "rolls": 1,
            "entries": [
                {
                    "type": "item",
                    "name": "glistremod:ancient_book",
                    "weight": 40
                },
                {
                    "type": "empty",
                    "weight": 60
                }
            ]
        }
    ]
}

Your loot table load event if-check will (just about) always be true.

You're checking if(not-A || is-B)

16 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

Your loot table load event if-check will (just about) always be true.

You're checking if(not-A || is-B)

Deleted !  Same error plus additional error: com.google.gson.JsonSyntaxException: Expected name to be an item, was unknown string 'glistremod:ancient_book'

Spoiler

[18:40:59] [Server thread/ERROR]: Couldn't load loot table glistremod:custom_chest_loot from file:/C:/Users/wesle_000/Desktop/1.10.2Programming/bin/assets/glistremod/loot_tables/custom_chest_loot.json
com.google.gson.JsonSyntaxException: Expected name to be an item, was unknown string 'glistremod:ancient_book'
    at net.minecraft.util.JsonUtils.getItem(JsonUtils.java:129) ~[JsonUtils.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.util.JsonUtils.getItem(JsonUtils.java:146) ~[JsonUtils.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.world.storage.loot.LootEntryItem.deserialize(LootEntryItem.java:83) ~[LootEntryItem.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.world.storage.loot.LootEntry$Serializer.deserialize(LootEntry.java:72) ~[LootEntry$Serializer.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.world.storage.loot.LootEntry$Serializer.deserialize(LootEntry.java:48) ~[LootEntry$Serializer.class:?]
    at com.google.gson.TreeTypeAdapter.read(TreeTypeAdapter.java:58) ~[TreeTypeAdapter.class:?]
    at com.google.gson.internal.bind.TypeAdapterRuntimeTypeWrapper.read(TypeAdapterRuntimeTypeWrapper.java:40) ~[TypeAdapterRuntimeTypeWrapper.class:?]
    at com.google.gson.internal.bind.ArrayTypeAdapter.read(ArrayTypeAdapter.java:72) ~[ArrayTypeAdapter.class:?]
    at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:803) ~[Gson.class:?]
    at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:868) ~[Gson.class:?]
    at com.google.gson.Gson$1.deserialize(Gson.java:126) ~[Gson$1.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.util.JsonUtils.deserializeClass(JsonUtils.java:378) ~[JsonUtils.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.util.JsonUtils.deserializeClass(JsonUtils.java:390) ~[JsonUtils.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.world.storage.loot.LootPool$Serializer.deserialize(LootPool.java:153) ~[LootPool$Serializer.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.world.storage.loot.LootPool$Serializer.deserialize(LootPool.java:147) ~[LootPool$Serializer.class:?]
    at com.google.gson.TreeTypeAdapter.read(TreeTypeAdapter.java:58) ~[TreeTypeAdapter.class:?]
    at com.google.gson.internal.bind.TypeAdapterRuntimeTypeWrapper.read(TypeAdapterRuntimeTypeWrapper.java:40) ~[TypeAdapterRuntimeTypeWrapper.class:?]
    at com.google.gson.internal.bind.ArrayTypeAdapter.read(ArrayTypeAdapter.java:72) ~[ArrayTypeAdapter.class:?]
    at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:868) ~[Gson.class:?]
    at com.google.gson.Gson$1.deserialize(Gson.java:126) ~[Gson$1.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.util.JsonUtils.deserializeClass(JsonUtils.java:378) ~[JsonUtils.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.util.JsonUtils.deserializeClass(JsonUtils.java:400) ~[JsonUtils.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.world.storage.loot.LootTable$Serializer.deserialize(LootTable.java:209) ~[LootTable$Serializer.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.world.storage.loot.LootTable$Serializer.deserialize(LootTable.java:204) ~[LootTable$Serializer.class:?]
    at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:768) ~[Gson.class:?]
    at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:717) ~[Gson.class:?]
    at com.google.gson.Gson.fromJson(Gson.java:689) ~[Gson.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.common.ForgeHooks.loadLootTable(ForgeHooks.java:1063) ~[ForgeHooks.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.world.storage.loot.LootTableManager$Loader.loadBuiltinLootTable(LootTableManager.java:148) [LootTableManager$Loader.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.world.storage.loot.LootTableManager$Loader.load(LootTableManager.java:71) [LootTableManager$Loader.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.world.storage.loot.LootTableManager$Loader.load(LootTableManager.java:52) [LootTableManager$Loader.class:?]
    at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$LoadingValueReference.loadFuture(LocalCache.java:3524) [guava-17.0.jar:?]
    at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$Segment.loadSync(LocalCache.java:2317) [guava-17.0.jar:?]
    at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$Segment.lockedGetOrLoad(LocalCache.java:2280) [guava-17.0.jar:?]
    at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$Segment.get(LocalCache.java:2195) [guava-17.0.jar:?]
    at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache.get(LocalCache.java:3934) [guava-17.0.jar:?]
    at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache.getOrLoad(LocalCache.java:3938) [guava-17.0.jar:?]
    at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$LocalLoadingCache.get(LocalCache.java:4821) [guava-17.0.jar:?]
    at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$LocalLoadingCache.getUnchecked(LocalCache.java:4827) [guava-17.0.jar:?]
    at net.minecraft.world.storage.loot.LootTableManager.getLootTableFromLocation(LootTableManager.java:39) [LootTableManager.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.world.storage.loot.LootTableManager.reloadLootTables(LootTableManager.java:48) [LootTableManager.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.world.storage.loot.LootTableManager.<init>(LootTableManager.java:34) [LootTableManager.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.world.WorldServer.init(WorldServer.java:157) [WorldServer.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.server.integrated.IntegratedServer.loadAllWorlds(IntegratedServer.java:87) [IntegratedServer.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.server.integrated.IntegratedServer.startServer(IntegratedServer.java:124) [IntegratedServer.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:496) [MinecraftServer.class:?]
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) [?:1.8.0_60]
[18:40:59] [Server thread/ERROR] [FML]: Exception caught during firing event net.minecraftforge.event.LootTableLoadEvent@47b2271c:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Attempted to add a duplicate entry to pool: glistremod:custom_chest_loot
    at net.minecraft.world.storage.loot.LootPool.addEntry(LootPool.java:141) ~[LootPool.class:?]
    at com.glistre.glistremod.events.GlistreModEventHooks.lootLoad(GlistreModEventHooks.java:82) ~[GlistreModEventHooks.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.eventhandler.ASMEventHandler_9_GlistreModEventHooks_lootLoad_LootTableLoadEvent.invoke(.dynamic) ~[?:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.eventhandler.ASMEventHandler.invoke(ASMEventHandler.java:90) ~[ASMEventHandler.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.eventhandler.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:185) [EventBus.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.event.ForgeEventFactory.loadLootTable(ForgeEventFactory.java:625) [ForgeEventFactory.class:?]
    at net.minecraftforge.common.ForgeHooks.loadLootTable(ForgeHooks.java:1073) [ForgeHooks.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.world.storage.loot.LootTableManager$Loader.loadBuiltinLootTable(LootTableManager.java:148) [LootTableManager$Loader.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.world.storage.loot.LootTableManager$Loader.load(LootTableManager.java:71) [LootTableManager$Loader.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.world.storage.loot.LootTableManager$Loader.load(LootTableManager.java:52) [LootTableManager$Loader.class:?]
    at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$LoadingValueReference.loadFuture(LocalCache.java:3524) [guava-17.0.jar:?]
    at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$Segment.loadSync(LocalCache.java:2317) [guava-17.0.jar:?]
    at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$Segment.lockedGetOrLoad(LocalCache.java:2280) [guava-17.0.jar:?]
    at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$Segment.get(LocalCache.java:2195) [guava-17.0.jar:?]
    at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache.get(LocalCache.java:3934) [guava-17.0.jar:?]
    at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache.getOrLoad(LocalCache.java:3938) [guava-17.0.jar:?]
    at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$LocalLoadingCache.get(LocalCache.java:4821) [guava-17.0.jar:?]
    at com.google.common.cache.LocalCache$LocalLoadingCache.getUnchecked(LocalCache.java:4827) [guava-17.0.jar:?]
    at net.minecraft.world.storage.loot.LootTableManager.getLootTableFromLocation(LootTableManager.java:39) [LootTableManager.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.world.storage.loot.LootTableManager.reloadLootTables(LootTableManager.java:48) [LootTableManager.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.world.storage.loot.LootTableManager.<init>(LootTableManager.java:34) [LootTableManager.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.world.WorldServer.init(WorldServer.java:157) [WorldServer.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.server.integrated.IntegratedServer.loadAllWorlds(IntegratedServer.java:87) [IntegratedServer.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.server.integrated.IntegratedServer.startServer(IntegratedServer.java:124) [IntegratedServer.class:?]
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:496) [MinecraftServer.class:?]
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) [?:1.8.0_60]
[18:40:59] [Server thread/ERROR] [FML]: Index: 2 Listeners:
[18:40:59] [Server thread/ERROR] [FML]: 0: NORMAL
[18:40:59] [Server thread/ERROR] [FML]: 1: ASM: com.glistre.glistremod.events.GlistreModEventHooks@6d95b51d lootLoad(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/LootTableLoadEvent;)V
[18:40:59] [Server thread/ERROR] [FML]: 2: ASM: com.glistre.glistremod.events.GlistreModEventHooks@7aee9f49 lootLoad(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/LootTableLoadEvent;)V
[18:40:59] [Server thread/ERROR]: Encountered an unexpected exception
com.google.common.util.concurrent.UncheckedExecutionException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Attempted to add a duplicate entry to pool: glistremod:custom_chest_loot

Not sure off the top of my head.

On 3/23/2018 at 10:46 AM, Glistre said:

com.google.gson.JsonSyntaxException: Expected name to be an item, was unknown string 'glistremod:ancient_book'

There's no Item registered with this name, are you sure you typed it correctly?

On 3/23/2018 at 10:46 AM, Glistre said:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Attempted to add a duplicate entry to pool: glistremod:custom_chest_loot

Forge requires that each LootEntry in a LootPool has a unique entry name. The entry name defaults to the name of entry's item or loot table, but you can specify a custom entry name through JSON or the LootEntry subclass constructor if you want to have multiple entries for the same item/loot table.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

I have this json named custom_chest_loot located in src/main/resources/assets/glistremod/loot_tables  ; my json for ancient_book is located in src/main/resources/assets/glistremod/item

Spoiler

{
    "pools": [
        {
            "name": "pool0",
            "rolls": 1,
            "entries": [
                {
                    "type": "item",
                    "name": "glistremod:ancient_book",
                    "weight": 40
                },
                {
                    "type": "empty",
                    "weight": 60
                }
            ]
        }
    ]
}

Post the GlistreModEventHooks class, the class where you register your items and the class of the ancient book item.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

1 hour ago, Choonster said:

Post the GlistreModEventHooks class, the class where you register your items and the class of the ancient book item.

Before posting that, looking at my ItemRegistry it does not look like I have correctly registered the ancient book item.  I will attempt to fix that first and then see what happens then post result

4 hours ago, Choonster said:

GlistreModEventHooks class:

Spoiler

@SubscribeEvent

{        

if (evt.getName().toString().equals(Reference.MODID + ":glistre_chest_gold") || evt.getName().equals(LootTableList.CHESTS_SPAWN_BONUS_CHEST))
    {

LootEntry entry1 = new LootEntryItem(ItemRegistry.ancient_book, 90, 60, new LootFunction[0], new LootCondition[0], Reference.MODID + ":ancient_book");

evt.getTable().getPool("main").addEntry(entry1);    

LootPool p1 = new LootPool(new LootEntry[]{entry1}, new LootCondition[0], new RandomValueRange(1), new RandomValueRange(0,1), "glistremod/loot_tables:custom_chest_loot");

}

}

ItemRegistry class:

Spoiler

package com.glistre.glistremod.init;

import com.glistre.glistremod.GlistreMod;
import com.glistre.glistremod.items.books.ItemAncientBook;

public class ItemRegistry {

public static void GlistreMod(){
        init();
        register();
    }

// DECLARE THE  BOOK
        public static Item ancient_book;   //changed from ItemStack to Item 1.10.2

public static void init(){

//LOAD THE BOOK

ancient_book = new ItemAncientBook("ancient_book", "ancient_book").setUnlocalizedName("ancient_book").setMaxStackSize(16);
}

public static void register(){
        registerItem(ancient_book);

}

}

public static void registerItem(Item item){
        item.setCreativeTab(TabRegistry.glistre_tab_1);
        GameRegistry.register(item);
        GlistreMod.log.info("Registered item: " + item.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5));
}

public static void registerRenders()
    {

registerRender(ancient_book);

}

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
        public static void registerRender(Item item)
    {

ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(item, 0 , new ModelResourceLocation(Reference.MODID + ":" + item.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5),
 "inventory"));

}     
}

ItemAncientBook class:

Spoiler

package com.glistre.glistremod.items.books;

import java.util.List;

import net.minecraft.client.Minecraft;
import net.minecraft.client.gui.GuiScreenBook;
import net.minecraft.entity.Entity;
import net.minecraft.entity.player.EntityPlayer;
import net.minecraft.entity.player.EntityPlayerMP;
import net.minecraft.inventory.Slot;
import net.minecraft.item.Item;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemWrittenBook;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemStack;
import net.minecraft.nbt.NBTTagCompound;
import net.minecraft.nbt.NBTTagList;
import net.minecraft.nbt.NBTTagString;
import net.minecraft.util.text.TextFormatting;
import net.minecraft.world.World;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.relauncher.Side;
import net.minecraftforge.fml.relauncher.SideOnly;

public class ItemAncientBook extends ItemWrittenBook
{
    public ItemAncientBook(String unlocalizedName, String registryName)
    {
       this.setUnlocalizedName(unlocalizedName);
       this.setRegistryName(registryName);
        this.setMaxStackSize(16);
    }

private NBTTagList putTableOfContents(NBTTagList bookTagList)
    {
     NBTTagList bookPages = new NBTTagList();
        bookPages.appendTag(new NBTTagString("Page 1"));

return bookTagList;
    }

/**
     * Called whenever this item is equipped and the right mouse button is pressed. Args: itemStack, world, entityPlayer
     */

public ItemStack onItemRightClick(ItemStack itemStackIn, World worldIn, EntityPlayer playerIn)
    {
       // playerIn.displayGUIBook(itemStackIn);
       if (playerIn.worldObj.isRemote)
      {
      Minecraft.getMinecraft().displayGuiScreen(new GuiScreenBook(playerIn, itemStackIn, false));
      }
        return itemStackIn;
    }

public void onUpdate(ItemStack itemStack, World world, Entity entity, int unknownInt, boolean unknownBool)
    {
       NBTTagList bookPages = new NBTTagList();

bookPages = putTableOfContents(bookPages);

itemStack.setTagInfo("pages", bookPages);
       itemStack.setTagInfo("author", new NBTTagString(TextFormatting.GOLD + "Glistre"));
       itemStack.setTagInfo("title", new NBTTagString(TextFormatting.GOLD + "Ancient Tome"));
       bookPages.appendTag(new NBTTagString(TextFormatting.BLUE + "Enter the Freon Dimension and save the Glistering Biome.  \n \nYe must find the tower where thee flows red bludd."));   
       bookPages.appendTag(new NBTTagString(TextFormatting.DARK_AQUA + "A dark king is corrupting this paradise. \n  \nYe must slay him or all shall be lost."));
       bookPages.appendTag(new NBTTagString(TextFormatting.DARK_RED + "Beware the red bludd. \n \nIt makes you sick."));
       bookPages.appendTag(new NBTTagString(TextFormatting.DARK_GREEN + "You will fair better with special items.")); 
       bookPages.appendTag(new NBTTagString(TextFormatting.GOLD + "Loot the King's chest. . .if you dare!"));
       bookPages.appendTag(new NBTTagString(TextFormatting.DARK_RED + "ALWAYS WATCH OUT BEHIND YOU!!!!")); 
    }

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
    public boolean hasEffect(ItemStack stack)
    {
        return true;
    }
}

Cannot find what's wrong -- same error "Attempt to add a duplicate entry to pool: glistremod:ancient_book"  

Aside:  Also, my GUI screen does not display when I right click

Edited by Glistre
typo

3 hours ago, Glistre said:

{

LootEntry entry1 = new LootEntryItem(ItemRegistry.ancient_book, 90, 60, new LootFunction[0], new LootCondition[0], Reference.MODID + ":ancient_book");

--> evt.getTable().getPool("main").addEntry(entry1);    

LootPool p1 = new LootPool(new LootEntry[]{entry1}, new LootCondition[0], new RandomValueRange(1), new RandomValueRange(0,1), "glistremod/loot_tables:custom_chest_loot");

--> evt.getTable().getPool("main").addEntry(entry1);

You're adding entry1 to the event's LootTable twice, both times to the "main" LootPool. You never add p1 to the event's LootTable.

No two loot entries in a loot pool can have the same name (and any loot entry will always have the same name as itself), so this is what causes the error.

16 minutes ago, Choonster said:

You're adding entry1 to the event's LootTable twice, both times to the "main" LootPool. You never add p1 to the event's LootTable.

No two loot entries in a loot pool can have the same name (and any loot entry will always have the same name as itself), so this is what causes the error.

So should I change "main" to "p1" for the second "main"?  When I do I get an NPE on that line of code

: [18:50:55] [Server thread/ERROR] [FML]: Exception caught during firing event net.minecraftforge.event.LootTableLoadEvent@2cb84442:
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.glistre.glistremod.events.GlistreModEventHooks.lootLoad(GlistreModEventHooks.java:82) ~[GlistreModEventHooks.class:?]

Spoiler

evt.getTable().getPool("p1").addEntry(entry1);

46 minutes ago, Glistre said:

So should I change "main" to "p1" for the second "main"?  When I do I get an NPE on that line of code

: [18:50:55] [Server thread/ERROR] [FML]: Exception caught during firing event net.minecraftforge.event.LootTableLoadEvent@2cb84442:
java.lang.NullPointerException

Hide contents

evt.getTable().getPool("p1").addEntry(entry1);

As I said before, you never add p1 to the event's LootTable; so LootTable#getPool will return null when called with "p1".

You're already adding entry1 to p1 in the LootPool constructor, so there's no need to add it again on the next line. You need to call LootTable#addPool to add p1 to the event's LootTable.

That said, are you sure you want to have the same entry for the ancient book in both the "main" pool and the "p1" pool?

1 hour ago, Choonster said:

As I said before, you never add p1 to the event's LootTable; so LootTable#getPool will return null when called with "p1".

You're already adding entry1 to p1 in the LootPool constructor, so there's no need to add it again on the next line. You need to call LootTable#addPool to add p1 to the event's LootTable.

That said, are you sure you want to have the same entry for the ancient book in both the "main" pool and the "p1" pool?

Okay not really  needed in both pools.  So if I delete everything from LootPool and leave "evt.getTable().getPool("main").addEntry(entry1);"  I get the error still "Attempt to add duplicate item to pool"

But if I delete "evt.getTable().getPool("main").addEntry(entry1);"

and change the LootPool part to this:

evt.getTable().addPool(p1);

Then I get the error "Attempt to add duplicate pool to loot table: glistremod/loot_tables:custom_chest_loot

I am not understanding this yet

Post your latest loot table file (the one you're adding this entry to), loot table event handler and the full error.

10 hours ago, Choonster said:

Post your latest loot table file (the one you're adding this entry to), loot table event handler and the full error.

I am not sure I even have those files? I thought the entry gets added to "main" or "p1"

This is what I have -- which incidently I copied /edited from your github examples 

GlistreLootTables:

Spoiler

package com.glistre.glistremod.loot_tables;

import net.minecraft.world.storage.loot.LootTable;

/** Registration and reference for new loot tables **/
public class GlistreLootTables {

public static final ResourceLocation custom_chest_loot = register("custom_chest_loot");

}
}

And the loot table load event in GlistreModEventHooks:

Spoiler

@SubscribeEvent

{        
// 
    //    if (evt.getName().equals(LootTableList.CHESTS_SPAWN_BONUS_CHEST))

{
        LootEntry entry1 = new LootEntryTable(new ResourceLocation(Reference.MODID + "custom_chest_loot"), 90, 60, new LootCondition[0], Reference.MODID + ":ancient_book");

/*    LootEntry entry1 = new LootEntryItem(ItemRegistry.ancient_book, 90, 60, new LootFunction[0], new LootCondition[0], Reference.MODID + ":ancient_book");

evt.getTable().getPool("main");*/

evt.getTable().addPool(p1);

}

}

and LootTableRegistry which I call in preInit by      LootTableRegistry.init();
     LootTableRegistry.register() ...could this be a problem --am I registering twice?? :

Spoiler

package com.glistre.glistremod.init;

public class LootTableRegistry {

init();
        register();
    }

}

}

public static final ResourceLocation Custom_Chest_Loot = register("custom_chest_loot");

}
}

Edited by Glistre

You didn't post the full error.

1 hour ago, Glistre said:

I am not sure I even have those files? I thought the entry gets added to "main" or "p1"

Those are the loot pools. The loot table I want to see is glistremod:glistre_chest_gold.

1 hour ago, Glistre said:

init();
        register();
    }

}

}

None of these three methods actually do anything. It's only the initialiser of the Custom_Chest_Loot field that registers the loot table.

The field initialisers should only create the ResourceLocations, the actual registration of the loot table names should be done in preInit.

There's no need to have separate init and register methods.

3 minutes ago, Choonster said:

You didn't post the full error.

Those are the loot pools. The loot table I want to see is glistremod:glistre_chest_gold.

None of these three methods actually do anything. It's only the initialiser of the Custom_Chest_Loot field that registers the loot table.

The field initialisers should only create the ResourceLocations, the actual registration of the loot table names should be done in preInit.

There's no need to have separate init and register methods.

Let me try to fix that I am registering nothing since I am calling LootRegistry.register in preInit?  This is really an ignorant noobish question that will bring me hate but how would I correctly add the loot table names in preInit?

2 minutes ago, Glistre said:

Let me try to fix that I am registering nothing since I am calling LootRegistry.register in preInit?  This is really an ignorant noobish question that will bring me hate but how would I correctly add the loot table names in preInit?

The first paragraph ("None of these three method actually do anything") was describing what your code currently does, the second paragraph ("The field initialisers should only create the ResourceLocations") was describing what your code should do.

What you need to do is as follows:

• In the field initialisers: Create the ResourceLocation for each loot table
  • In a method called from your @Mod class in preInit: Call LootTableList.register for each ResourceLocation

You seem to have two classes (LootTableRegistry and GlistreLootTables) that store and register your loot tables, you should only have one.