[Solved]I18n.translateToLocal Not Working For Entities Anymore?

jredfox

Why does this not work for entities anymore?

EntityName = I18n.translateToLocal("entity." + s + ".name");

In 1.12 there is no lowercase even though the mob ids changed to lowercase for minecraft so it wasn't working. Ignoring vanilla here is my fix:
translate by entity.modid.mobname.name and if that fails try entity.mobname.name even though second format should be impossible in 1.10.2+ 

not ignoring vanilla. if resource location is minecraft capitalize first mobname.

Solved(issue was not using EntityList.getEntityString(entity)
here is full proper translation of an entity methodTransLateEntity(NBTTagCompound nbt,World w)
https://gist.github.com/jredfox/e819f0ad29e9b52e33392781e745c99b

Edited by jredfox

Ok it appears vanilla is the issue here

entity.Pig.name=Pig

instead of: entity.modid.mob.name=name

So yeah I figured it out get resource location of entity replace ":" with "." and see if I get a proper translation ignoring vanilla's format that didn't even fallow their own rules that were set in 1.10.2+. They fixed it in 1.13 to what forge users had been using for a while

Vanilla isn't a mod, so it doesn't have a mod ID.

Mods should have a : though.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

5 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

Vanilla isn't a mod, so it doesn't have a mod ID.

Mods should have a : though.

minecraft.mobid = mobname it's that way in 1.13

also new ResourceLocation("sheep").getDomain() return "minecraft" since if has no : resource location fills in minecraft been this way in 1.12 not sure about previous like 1.7.10

Edited by jredfox

No resource domain -> minecraft*

*Provided by Forge

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

28 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

No resource domain -> minecraft*

*Provided by Forge

I didn't see any comments in the resource location class that said forge edited the in the "minecraft:" in the past they did patch stuff like that in 1.7. They still patch minecraft mod container for minecraft as well I believe but, as for the resource location that was a mojang gift to modders.

this.resourceDomain = org.apache.commons.lang3.StringUtils.isEmpty(resourceName[0]) ? "minecraft" : resourceName[0].toLowerCase(Locale.ROOT);
this.resourcePath = resourceName[1].toLowerCase(Locale.ROOT);
Validate.notNull(this.resourcePath);

Also you can take a look at the /summon command with no forge in it. I know the changes in the entity string id in 1.10.2+ surprised me to.

/summon minecraft:wither_skeleton

I will post my translate entity method when I am done debugging it fully

Edited by jredfox

Vanilla might've provided it, but vanilla also disregards it in a lot of places too, opting for a blank string.

1 hour ago, Draco18s said:

Vanilla might've provided it, but vanilla also disregards it in a lot of places too, opting for a blank string.

anyways I got a supreme entity translation method if you wanted to use it for you code pretty cool it cannot fail unless there is no general name and also no command sender name. It is marked as the solution above

Edited by jredfox

11 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

What in the fuck are you doing...

Entity::getName. Done. Or Entity::getDisplayName if you want team info as well.

getName() > Returns command sender name which isn't the name of the entity I want unless the translated name is null. This is because you got a player steve and I want to say this is a steve monster spawner I don't say this is a jredfox monster spawner I say this is a steve monster spawner

getDisplayName() > I believe this had failed sometimes and or was crashing my game because was almost always null in every version I tried and or this returned command sender name. There use to be three methods and now there are two 

The translation setup I have is supreme for the general name of the entity. If I wanted a specific name of that entity I would use command sender name Which I might have to make another translation name for my mods anyways once the time comes

Edit display name does something funky

* Get the formatted ChatComponent that will be used for the sender's username in chat
     */
    public ITextComponent getDisplayName()
    {
        TextComponentString textcomponentstring = new TextComponentString(ScorePlayerTeam.formatPlayerName(this.getTeam(), this.getName()));
        textcomponentstring.getStyle().setHoverEvent(this.getHoverEvent());
        textcomponentstring.getStyle().setInsertion(this.getCachedUniqueIdString());
        return textcomponentstring;
    }

Edited by jredfox

Yeah I guess I should rename that to getGeneralTranslation() since even if the entity name returned stomper the giant for a player/boss name it would return something like enderdragon or player

Edited by jredfox

Use EntityList.getTranslationName to get the unlocalised name of an entity type (rather than an individual entity), you can then translate "entity." + unlocalisedName + ".name".

See Entity#getName and ItemMonsterPlacer#getItemStackDisplayName for examples of this.

Edited by Choonster

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

19 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

Then you need to special case players. That is all. None of the funky business you created.

Nothing about that abomination is "supreme".

There is nothing funky here.

Ok after much research I have decided general names are not good enough try command sender names first after removing the tag of custom name so I get the actual translated name.

The reason why my translation method was supreme before is it always got the general name. I just mistranslated how to get the entity string name in 1.12.2+ I was use to 1.7.10 code that changed then didn't look to see how they did it now. my translation method is once again supreme

Call TransLateEntity(NBTTagCompound nbt,World w) and it will always output the right name

Edited by jredfox

"Translate" is one word, the L does not need to be camel-cased.

16 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

"Translate" is one word, the L does not need to be camel-cased.

looks cool though

21 hours ago, Choonster said:

Use EntityList.getTranslationName to get the unlocalised name of an entity type (rather than an individual entity), you can then translate "entity." + unlocalisedName + ".name".

See Entity#getName and ItemMonsterPlacer#getItemStackDisplayName for examples of this.

doesn't always work but, I did see that general translations used the translation from the I8 whatever in the base entity class. Here is why it doesn't always work you will actually get null point exceptions by only using entity list

@Nullable
    public static String getTranslationName(@Nullable ResourceLocation entityType)
    {
        net.minecraftforge.fml.common.registry.EntityEntry entry = net.minecraftforge.fml.common.registry.ForgeRegistries.ENTITIES.getValue(entityType);
        return entry == null ? null : entry.getName();
    }

that reuturns entity.getName() always instead of doing the direct translation like it does in the main entity class. For example some mods return null for getName() and they have a valid translation via the lang files I found this out the hard way with crashes. So I created two separate methods for always determining the best name for the entity open source. 

String s = EntityList.getEntityString(entity);
  String EntityName = I18n.translateToLocal("entity." + s + ".name");

So for mods that return null for getName() like some do and have valid translations from the lang file I made this work around. I still try to get the entities specified name else get general name see code here

ok if nobody else has any other questions on why I had to do what I had to do I think this thread is good enough for people to find the help they need. 

Edited by jredfox

12 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

I want to die. But you are beyond help.

what do you find that's so bad about this method? I try entity.getname() if that return null then I use the general translation that shouldn't return null. What you saw was exception handling. I also ignore nametags since I don't want that for the spawner display name ever. So if you found something that will cause severe errors/not working right please tell me.

I send in an nbt spawner tag from spawndata
{id:"mobid",properties like Color:int} 

Edited by jredfox