[Solved!] Letting sword class choose whether it has a sweep attack

wolfboyft

In my mod, Chocolate Armoury (it's meant to be close to vanilla ^_^,) I want to make my new type of sword, ChocolateSword, choose whether it can sweep attack. Here are my current paths:

I can make ChocolateSword extend ItemSword.

Con: sweep attack capability is judged on whether the item class instanceof ItemSword.

Pro: It can be enchanted like a sword, won't break blocks in creative mode and all that stuff-- because those check whether it's instanceof ItemSword.

Or... Make ChocolateSword be a copy of ItemSword.

Pro: Sweep attack doesn't happen.

Con: Some ChocolateSword child(?) classes will be intended to have sweep attacks.

Con: Now it can't be enchanted like a sword and it breaks blocks in creative mode.

I'm thinking that the extending of ItemSword seems a bit but it is still not right. Maybe if I change the

if (itemStack.getItem() instanceof ItemSword) {
	flag3 = true;
}

in EntityPlayer's `attackTargetEntityWithCurrentItem(Entity targetEntity)` method to

if ((itemStack.getItem() instanceof ItemSword && !(itemStack.getItem() instanceof ChocolateSword)) || (itemStack.getItem() instanceof ChocolateSword && itemStack.getItem().canSweep())) {
	flag3 = true;
}

I'm kinda dehydrated right now and amn't very good with Java yet so don't expect an intelligent idea, but I thought that if I give ChocolateSword a canSweep() method that returns, say, true by default, and my non-sweepin' child classes (still not sure if that's the right terminology) can return false with an @Override'd version of canSweep then that would work

I'm pretty sure that with the && in the brackets to the right of the ||... if it's not an instance of ChocolateSword Java won't try and call the canSweep() that only instances of ChocolateSword have, therefore avoiding an error. Right?

thank you for any help

i'm gonna get some water.

Edited by wolfboyft
set to solved

-wolfboyft

Unfortunately for you, EntityPlayer#attackTargetEntityWithCurrentItem can't just be rewritten like that (unless maybe you replace the player entity completely). Many times, Forge supplies an event that does what you need. In your case, check out the very first line of attackTargetEntityWithCurrentItem. You can see that there is a Forge hook called onPlayerAttackTarget. You can hook into that event, and then do whatever you need to (possibly copying portions of the original method, possibly canceling the event when you are done with your stuff, to prevent the vanilla code from running). Basic documentation on using Forge events is here.

• Thanks 1