[1.12.2] [solved] Getting Tile Entity block coords from a GUI class

GooberGunter

Hey, so I'm trying to change the GUI of a custom Container based on items inside the Tile Entity, but I can't really find a good way to tell the server how to find the tile entity the player is currently accessing. One approach I had was to use the look vector but that's giving me really weird problems. Is there a better way of finding a tile entity's BlockPos from the client side?

Here's the GUI if you want to look at it:

Spoiler

package com.GooberGunter.GrandSorcery.client.gui;

import com.GooberGunter.GrandSorcery.GSReferences;
import com.GooberGunter.GrandSorcery.GrandSorcery;
import com.GooberGunter.GrandSorcery.common.block.ModBlocks;
import com.GooberGunter.GrandSorcery.common.block.tileentities.ExperimentTableTE;
import com.GooberGunter.GrandSorcery.common.block.tileentities.TEBase;
import com.GooberGunter.GrandSorcery.common.networking.packets.RequestPaperMessage;

import net.minecraft.client.Minecraft;
import net.minecraft.client.gui.inventory.GuiContainer;
import net.minecraft.inventory.Container;
import net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocation;
import net.minecraft.util.math.BlockPos;
import net.minecraft.util.math.Vec3d;
import net.minecraftforge.common.DimensionManager;

public class ExperimentGui extends GuiContainer{

int size;
	private static boolean hasPaper;

public ExperimentGui(Container inventorySlotsIn) {
		super(inventorySlotsIn);
		this.xSize=304;
		this.ySize=249;
		this.size=this.height;
		this.hasPaper=false;
	}

@Override
	protected void drawGuiContainerBackgroundLayer(float partialTicks, int mouseX, int mouseY) {
		this.drawInteractiveGui(partialTicks, mouseX, mouseY);
	}

public static void setPaper(boolean paper) {
		hasPaper=paper;
	}

protected void drawInteractiveGui(float partialTicks, int mouseX, int mouseY) {
		//TODO send message requesting paper
		GrandSorcery.handler.INSTANCE.sendToServer(new RequestPaperMessage(this.getTEPos()));
		if(hasPaper==true) {
			this.mc.getTextureManager().bindTexture(new ResourceLocation(GSReferences.MODID+":"+"textures/gui/inscriber_workbench_paper.png"));
		}else {
			this.mc.getTextureManager().bindTexture(new ResourceLocation(GSReferences.MODID+":"+"textures/gui/inscriber_workbench_empty.png"));
		}
		this.drawModalRectWithCustomSizedTexture((this.width/2)-(this.xSize/2), (this.height/2)-(this.ySize/2), this.xSize, this.ySize, this.xSize, this.ySize, this.xSize, this.ySize);
	}

public BlockPos getTEPos() {
		Vec3d v = Minecraft.getMinecraft().player.getLookVec();
		for(int u=0; u<9; u++) {
			v.addVector(u, u, u);
			BlockPos pos = new BlockPos(v);
			if(Minecraft.getMinecraft().world.getBlockState(pos).getBlock()==ModBlocks.wkbnch && Minecraft.getMinecraft().world.getBlockState(pos)==DimensionManager.getWorld(0).getBlockState(pos)) {
				return pos;
			}
		}
		return null;
	}

}

I'd rather not use the look vector if it isn't necessary. I have the feeling it's better to use vectors in motion rather than position

Edited by GooberGunter

15 hours ago, GooberGunter said:

Hey, so I'm trying to change the GUI of a custom Container based on items inside the Tile Entity, but I can't really find a good way to tell the server how to find the tile entity the player is currently accessing. One approach I had was to use the look vector but that's giving me really weird problems. Is there a better way of finding a tile entity's BlockPos from the client side?

Here's the GUI if you want to look at it:

Reveal hidden contents

package com.GooberGunter.GrandSorcery.client.gui;

import com.GooberGunter.GrandSorcery.GSReferences;
import com.GooberGunter.GrandSorcery.GrandSorcery;
import com.GooberGunter.GrandSorcery.common.block.ModBlocks;
import com.GooberGunter.GrandSorcery.common.block.tileentities.ExperimentTableTE;
import com.GooberGunter.GrandSorcery.common.block.tileentities.TEBase;
import com.GooberGunter.GrandSorcery.common.networking.packets.RequestPaperMessage;

import net.minecraft.client.Minecraft;
import net.minecraft.client.gui.inventory.GuiContainer;
import net.minecraft.inventory.Container;
import net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocation;
import net.minecraft.util.math.BlockPos;
import net.minecraft.util.math.Vec3d;
import net.minecraftforge.common.DimensionManager;

public class ExperimentGui extends GuiContainer{

int size;
	private static boolean hasPaper;

public ExperimentGui(Container inventorySlotsIn) {
		super(inventorySlotsIn);
		this.xSize=304;
		this.ySize=249;
		this.size=this.height;
		this.hasPaper=false;
	}

@Override
	protected void drawGuiContainerBackgroundLayer(float partialTicks, int mouseX, int mouseY) {
		this.drawInteractiveGui(partialTicks, mouseX, mouseY);
	}

public static void setPaper(boolean paper) {
		hasPaper=paper;
	}

protected void drawInteractiveGui(float partialTicks, int mouseX, int mouseY) {
		//TODO send message requesting paper
		GrandSorcery.handler.INSTANCE.sendToServer(new RequestPaperMessage(this.getTEPos()));
		if(hasPaper==true) {
			this.mc.getTextureManager().bindTexture(new ResourceLocation(GSReferences.MODID+":"+"textures/gui/inscriber_workbench_paper.png"));
		}else {
			this.mc.getTextureManager().bindTexture(new ResourceLocation(GSReferences.MODID+":"+"textures/gui/inscriber_workbench_empty.png"));
		}
		this.drawModalRectWithCustomSizedTexture((this.width/2)-(this.xSize/2), (this.height/2)-(this.ySize/2), this.xSize, this.ySize, this.xSize, this.ySize, this.xSize, this.ySize);
	}

public BlockPos getTEPos() {
		Vec3d v = Minecraft.getMinecraft().player.getLookVec();
		for(int u=0; u<9; u++) {
			v.addVector(u, u, u);
			BlockPos pos = new BlockPos(v);
			if(Minecraft.getMinecraft().world.getBlockState(pos).getBlock()==ModBlocks.wkbnch && Minecraft.getMinecraft().world.getBlockState(pos)==DimensionManager.getWorld(0).getBlockState(pos)) {
				return pos;
			}
		}
		return null;
	}

}

I'd rather not use the look vector if it isn't necessary. I have the feeling it's better to use vectors in motion rather than position

If you are good at planning the mods I would like you on my team

4 hours ago, HomixHD said:

If you are good at planning the mods I would like you on my team

Similarly, if you're not, they won't.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

30 minutes ago, HomixHD said:

I could not contact you because he told me that my box was full

Yes, the forum is FUBAR. If you have any conversations, your inbox is considered "full."

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.