[1.11.2] [UNSOLVED] Block connections & Blockstates

Bektor

Hi,

I'm wondering how I can achieve something like in the picture below, but with a few differences:

• Side X looks differently than the other sides when a machine is connected to side X.

I thought about something like this, just that I'm calculating that stuff automatically for all sides:

/** Whether this fence connects in the northern direction */
    public static final PropertyBool NORTH = PropertyBool.create("north");
    /** Whether this fence connects in the eastern direction */
    public static final PropertyBool EAST = PropertyBool.create("east");
    /** Whether this fence connects in the southern direction */
    public static final PropertyBool SOUTH = PropertyBool.create("south");
    /** Whether this fence connects in the western direction */
    public static final PropertyBool WEST = PropertyBool.create("west");

Then I thought about adding some other property (maybe <EnumFacing> stuff??) to know the specific side (can only be one at the same time).

Base idea: In the middle is a default cube and more models are added to either side depending on the connections. So something similiar to another problem I had some time ago (can't find the link currently),

but with one side beeing different as stateted.

My problem know is (assuming the thoughts from above are correct and the best possible way):

• How to handle getStateFromMeta, getActualState and getMetaFromState?
  • How to handle the JSON file that model X will be used on side X instead of the normal model which is used for all other sides? [side x = any side && number of side x connections <= 1]
  • How would I handle the above when it would be: number of side x connections < all possible sides

Thx in advance.

Bektor

Unbenannt.png

Developer of Primeval Forest.

Use bool properties, like the fence and cobblestone wall do. There is no reason to get fancier than that.

getStateFromMeta / getMetaFromState will likely do nothing special

getActualState will handle the which-sides-are-connected bool properties (they do not need to be encoded in metadata because their properties of the world)

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

43 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

Use bool properties, like the fence and cobblestone wall do. There is no reason to get fancier than that.

Wouldn't this mean I've got 12 properties? 6 for all the possible sides and another 6 for all possible sides of the "side x".

Also I don't see where this meets with the conditions of side x.

44 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

they do not need to be encoded in metadata because their properties of the world

Meaning visual stuff doesn't need to be encoded to metadata and everything else does, correct?

2 hours ago, Bektor said:

Wouldn't this mean I've got 12 properties? 6 for all the possible sides and another 6 for all possible sides of the "side x".

Yes. And?

You could also use an enum:

NOT_CONNECTED, CONNECTED, CONNECTED_MACHINE

2 hours ago, Bektor said:

Meaning visual stuff doesn't need to be encoded to metadata and everything else does, correct?

Well, it can be non-visual information as well. But yes, any information you can arrive at by looking at adjacent blocks does not need to be encoded in metadata.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

1 hour ago, Draco18s said:

Yes. And?

Well, quite a lot. (thinking of over-complex json files with a lot of lines)

1 hour ago, Draco18s said:

You could also use an enum:

NOT_CONNECTED, CONNECTED, CONNECTED_MACHINE

I guess this would be difficult because it doesn't tell the json file at which side the special model should be used.

I'm also wondering how I could got about limiting the connections so that only one special model can be used to avoid multiply sides having this special

model as it should indicate a connection towards a machine and the block can only connect to one machine at a time, but to a dozen cables at the same time.

Also, how would I go with the JSON file? I mean, thinking of the boolean properties I would be required to create 6 entries for the 6 properties in the json file and inside of all of those entries I would again need to define 6 entries + one for when none of these other six is used, creating 42 entries... and that's totally not what I want.

While also having the problem with multiply special models beeing used at the same time?

35 minutes ago, Bektor said:

Well, quite a lot. (thinking of over-complex json files with a lot of lines)

I guess this would be difficult because it doesn't tell the json file at which side the special model should be used.

I meant that enum for each side instead of two booleans.

35 minutes ago, Bektor said:

Also, how would I go with the JSON file? I mean, thinking of the boolean properties I would be required to create 6 entries for the 6 properties in the json file and inside of all of those entries I would again need to define 6 entries + one for when none of these other six is used, creating 42 entries... and that's totally not what I want.

While also having the problem with multiply special models beeing used at the same time?

Use the Forge format where each property is separate from each other:

http://mcforge.readthedocs.io/en/latest/blockstates/forgeBlockstates/#sub-models

On 10/26/2017 at 1:11 AM, Draco18s said:

Use the Forge format where each property is separate from each other:

http://mcforge.readthedocs.io/en/latest/blockstates/forgeBlockstates/#sub-models

Hm... This still results into nearly 200 lines of json file...

I've also got another problem:

• I've created now an array containing all of the first 6 properties and another one for the next 6 properties. How do I combine them now in createBlockState?

new BlockStateContainer({ A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L})

The parameter to BlockStateContainer's constructor already takes an IProperty[] array, so use array operation magic.

Edited by Draco18s

Use BlockStateContainer.Builder to create the BlockStateContainer, you can call BlockStateContainer.Builder#add once for each array of properties

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

On 10/30/2017 at 8:41 AM, Choonster said:

Use BlockStateContainer.Builder to create the BlockStateContainer, you can call BlockStateContainer.Builder#add once for each array of properties

Thx, didn't know there was such a method.

Thought as can be seen in the image: There is also an connection on the wrong side (happens only for west and east sides).

Unbenannt.thumb.png.22f419e976e60fae7fbd9d66f9ad8a02.png

protected boolean isValidConnection(IBlockAccess worldIn, BlockPos pos, IBlockState neighbourState, EnumFacing facing) {
        if(super.isValidConnection(worldIn, pos, neighbourState, facing))
            return true;

TileEntity tile = worldIn.getTileEntity(pos.offset(facing));
        if(tile != null)
            return EnergyUtils.hasCapability(tile, facing);

return false;
    }

private boolean canConnectToMachine(final IBlockAccess worldIn, final IBlockState state, final BlockPos pos, EnumFacing facing) {
        final BlockPos neighborPos = pos.offset(facing);
        final IBlockState neighbourState = worldIn.getBlockState(neighborPos);

return this.isValidConnection(worldIn, pos, neighbourState, facing) && !(neighbourState instanceof BlockCableConnector) && !(neighbourState instanceof BlockCable);
    }

@Override
    public IBlockState getActualState(IBlockState state, IBlockAccess worldIn, BlockPos pos) {
        for(final EnumFacing facing : EnumFacing.VALUES)
            state = super.getActualState(state, worldIn, pos).withProperty(SPECIAL_PROPERTIES.get(facing.getIndex()), this.canConnectToMachine(worldIn, state, pos, facing));

return state;
    }

@Override
    protected BlockStateContainer createBlockState() {
        return new BlockStateContainer.Builder(this)
                .add(CONNECTED_PROPERTIES.toArray(new IProperty[CONNECTED_PROPERTIES.size()]))
                .add(SPECIAL_PROPERTIES.toArray(new IProperty[SPECIAL_PROPERTIES.size()]))
                .build();
    }

BlockCableConnector is this block while BlockCable is the block on the left side of the image. The SPECIAL_PROPERTIES adds this larger thing on the smaller middle part of the cable while the CONNECTED_PROPERTIES just adds the normal element to the side (which can be seen in there.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Set a breakpoint in getActualState. Use the debugger to step through / into the decision processes to see where the errant state is being made.

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.