[1.12.1] [Solved] Particle effect

Erfurt

Hey guys,

So I'm working on some portal stuff for a custom dimension, and I wanted to use portal particles, but with another color than the vanilla one. As I haven't been able to find any way of doing this, I thought that I would just remake the particle effect with the color values that I wanted. But after looking at the source code and forum posts about Minecraft particles, I have become doubtful if it will work.

So basically I want to know if I can simply "copy" the code from the ParticlePortal class, and change the red, green and blue color values to match what I want. Or if I have to do some major changes to the class? Also how do I register a new particle effect, as I can't find anything in the GameRegistry or the ForgeRegistries for particles?

Of Course if there's a way to change the color of an already existing particle effect, I would like to know it. But I would still like to know the other two things, as they would come in handy if I want to add  more custom particle effects someday.

I don't really have any code other than the vanilla ParticlePortal code, but as I have become somewhat confused, I hope you guys would still like to help me :)

Edited by Erfurt
Solved

13 hours ago, wyn_price said:

If you create a new instance of the particle, you can set the rbg color of it and change what color it is

This might sound stupid, but when you say new instance, do you mean if I create a new particle that either  extends ParticlePortal, or is a copy of it. Or do you mean when I spawn in the particle? Also if it's the first thing, how do I get it to register?

I'm a bit of a noob sorry

Never mind I have found out now. It was a rather big derp from my side. For people how wants to know, what I did was extend the ParticlePortal class and changed the stuff I needed to change. Then I had to make a new class that I have to call when ever I want to use my particle.

This is what I ended up with.

Spoiler

public class ParticleSpawner
{
	private static Minecraft mc = Minecraft.getMinecraft();

public static Particle spawnParticle(EnumParticleTypes type, double par2, double par4, double par6, double par8, double par10, double par12)
	{
		if (mc != null && mc.getRenderViewEntity() != null && mc.effectRenderer != null)
		{
			int var14 = mc.gameSettings.particleSetting;

if (var14 == 1 && mc.world.rand.nextInt(3) == 0)
			{
				var14 = 2;
			}

double var15 = mc.getRenderViewEntity().posX - par2;
			double var17 = mc.getRenderViewEntity().posY - par4;
			double var19 = mc.getRenderViewEntity().posZ - par6;
			Particle var21 = null;
			double var22 = 16.0D;

if (var15 * var15 + var17 * var17 + var19 * var19 > var22 * var22)
			{
				return null;
			}
			else if (var14 > 1)
			{
				return null;
			}
			else
			{
				if (type == EnumParticleTypes.EADORE_PORTAL)
				{
					var21 = new ParticleEadorePortal(mc.world, par2, par4, par6, par8, par10, par12);
				}

mc.effectRenderer.addEffect(var21);
				return var21;
			}
		}
		return null;
	}
}

Yes I know I could have name the variables better, but whatever it works ;)

The EnumParticleType, is an Enum I have elsewhere, I just named it the same as vanilla does.

Then to get your own particles to spawn, all you need to do is this.

ParticleSpawner.spawnParticle(type, par2, par4, par6, par8, par10, par12);

Just like you would with a vanilla particle, but just use the ParticleSpawner class that you have created instead of the "world.spawnParticle".

• 2 months later...