[1.11.2]Fluid Textures and using Universal Buckets in recipes

tyrian

I'm struggling to create my first fluid for my mod. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Firstly I want to be able to use the fluid in recipe's. I'm currently using Forge's UniversalBuckets but I can't seem to figure out  how to reference this as an item from my ModCrafting class. I'm guessing it's a simple one line of code but I have no clue where to start.

but the big issue is

I can't seem to wrap my head around the setting the textures up.

I think it's my resource locations. The png's are labelled correctly but I honestly don't know how to set up the path correctly. I've kind of been learning Java as I go...

the texture png's are located in

/MDKExample/src/main/resources/assets/tmm/textures/fluid/liquidessence_flow.png

/MDKExample/src/main/resources/assets/tmm/textures/fluid/liquidessence_still.png

Other than the Pre-init and init in the main file / proxy's here's all my code

here's the fluid class:

Spoiler

package Magic.fluids;

public class FluidLiquidessence extends Fluid{

public FluidLiquidessence(){
        super("liquidessence", new ResourceLocation(Magic.MOD_ID, "liquidessence.flow"), 
                new ResourceLocation(Magic.MOD_ID, "fluids/liquidessence_still"));
        setLuminosity(5);
        setViscosity(2000);
        FluidRegistry.registerFluid(this);
        FluidRegistry.addBucketForFluid(this);

}

}

and the ModFluids class:

Spoiler

package init;

public class ModFluids {

public static FluidLiquidessence fluidliquidessence;
    public static BlockFluidLiquidessence blockfluidliquidessence;

public static void registerFluids() {
        fluidliquidessence = new FluidLiquidessence();
        blockfluidliquidessence = new BlockFluidLiquidessence();
    }
     public static void renderFluids() {
        blockfluidliquidessence.render();
        }
    }

and finally the blockstate json

Spoiler

"forge_marker":1,
    "variants": {
        "normal": [{
            "model": "forge:fluid",
            "transform":"forge:default-item:,
            "custom":{
                    "fluid":"liquidessence"
                    }
             }]
        }
    }

Thank you kind people of the internet

Fluid textures go in src/main/resources/assets/<modid>/textures/<path>, where <modid> is your mod ID and <path> is the path component of the texture ResourceLocation.

The UniversalBucket instance is stored in the ForgeModContainer#universalBucket field. Use ForgeModContainer.getInstance to get the ForgeModContainer instance.

In 1.11.2, use UniversalBucket.getFilledBucket to get an ItemStack of the UniversalBucket filled with the specified Fluid. In 1.12+, this has been deprecated in favour of FluidUtil.getFilledBucket.

Keep in mind that vanilla recipes don't support ingredients with NBT in 1.11.2, you'll need to create your own recipe classes (you'll probably want to extend an existing recipe class). In 1.12+, use a minecraft:item_nbt ingredient in a JSON recipe to create an NBT-sensitive ingredient.

Edit: Fluid textures go in src/main/resources/assets/<modid>/textures/<path>, not src/main/resources/assets/<modid>/textures/blocks/<path>.

Edited by Choonster
  • Like 1

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Hey Choonster

I've moved my textures to the path you suggested keeping them with other blocks but they still don't seem to work.

I'm sure this is a really simple thing but I have no idea how to reference the resource.

currently my resource location is specified like this:

super("liquidessence", new ResourceLocation(Magic.MOD_ID, "liquidessence.flow"), 
                new ResourceLocation(Magic.MOD_ID, "fluids/liquidessence_still"));

I'm guessing it's this one line or my .json

really appreciate the help.

My previous post was incorrect, fluid textures actually go in assets/<modid>/textures/<path>. I forgot that I automatically add a prefix to my fluid textures so that the textures can go in the assets/<modid>/textures/blocks directory.

new ResourceLocation(Magic.MOD_ID, "liquidessence.flow") is expanded to assets/<modid>/textures/liquidessence.flow.pngnew ResourceLocation(Magic.MOD_ID, "fluids/liquidessence_still") is expanded to assets/<modid>/textures/fluids/liquidessence_still.png.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Hey man

Thanks so much for all your help. I'm almost there I think.

The only error I get for my texture now is:

[08:42:39] [Client thread/ERROR] [TEXTURE ERRORS]:     Problem: broken aspect ratio and not an animation
[08:42:39] [Client thread/ERROR] [TEXTURE ERRORS]:       textures/fluid/liquidessence_still.png
[08:42:39] [Client thread/ERROR] [TEXTURE ERRORS]:       textures/fluid/liquidessence_flow.png

Not really sure how to fix this... my texture size is 16x256 so it should have a correct aspect ratio, and is animation suppose to be defined in the json?

Static textures need to be square (i.e. equal width and height). Animated textures need to have a height equal to N times their width (where N is the number of frames).

Animated textures require an mcmeta file with the same name as the texture (e.g. liquidessence_still.png.mcmeta) that specifies the animation data. See the wiki for the full format or the vanilla liquid mcmeta files for examples.

I have all the textures working now :D

Thank you so much for all you help. I also have buckets showing up in the correct creative tab.

I realize this is probably getting pretty irritating for you so I swear this is the last problem...

when I try to use a universal bucket in my mod recipe class I use:

ForgeModContainer.getInstance().universalBucket

which means any universal bucket can be used in the recipe

but when I add

.getFilledBucket(UniversalBucket, "fluidliquidessence")

to specify a particular fluid it wants me to define UniversalBucket as a variable which just leads to further warnings.

Am I missing something obvious? do you have an example I can read through?

1 minute ago, tyrian said:

when I try to use a universal bucket in my mod recipe class I use:

ForgeModContainer.getInstance().universalBucket

which means any universal bucket can be used in the recipe

but when I add

.getFilledBucket(UniversalBucket, "fluidliquidessence")

to specify a particular fluid it wants me to define UniversalBucket as a variable which just leads to further warnings.

Am I missing something obvious? do you have an example I can read through?

You can't use a class where a value is expected (e.g. in the argument list of a method call), this is basic Java.

UniversalBucket.getFilledBucket is a static method that takes an instance of UniversalBucket (e.g. the one stored in the ForgeModContainer#universalBucket field) as its first argument. Don't call static methods on instances, your IDE should warn you when you do this.

7 minutes ago, tyrian said:

can you point me in the right direction for a tutorial or example. I'm kind of just guessing my way through this.

What do you want a tutorial/example on? Basic Java concepts? Creating an ItemStack of the Universal Bucket?

Creating an itemstack of the universal bucket.

Everything I try throws up errors.

I get that the solution is probably super simple and basic Java but as I said before I'm just learning this as I go.

I really appreciate the help and I get that you probably think I'm an idiot but I'm just trying my best dude.

1 hour ago, tyrian said:

Creating an itemstack of the universal bucket.

All you need to do is call the UniversalBucket.getFilledBucket method. Pass the UniversalBucket instance (from the ForgeModContainer#universalBucket field) as the first argument and your Fluid as the second argument.

It's a static method, so you call it on the class rather than an instance.

Ohhhhh.

I understand what you mean now.

UniversalBucket.getFilledBucket((ForgeModContainer.getInstance().universalBucket), (ModFluids.fluidliquid))

it totally works.

thanks man, I really appreciate the help, and I get why you were saying it was simple.

I have learnt a lot. :D