Creating Mirror dimension of Overworld

Durtle02

Hi, so I'd like to create an exact copy of the overworld so I can use a block as a regenerative thing however I don't know where to start. Could I get a quick run down of how the dimension generation works, how I can copy the world seed and where the files are that specifically handle generating the overworld are in the MC source code are? Also any UPDATED tutorials you have would be cool.
Thanks.

Durtle02

I don't optimize my code before it works.

Fun thing, I tried to do the exact same thing two years ago. Just generate a random new dimension with the same WorldGen and seed the overworld has and you should be (mostly) fine. Has been quite a struggle to find any good reference material back then. And I have no idea how much things have changed.

But why would you even want to create a copy of the overworld? If you just want to reset everything to how it has been when the world was generated you could just delete the chunk and let MC regenerate it. Way faster and uses a lot less disk space.

Here could be your advertisement!

7 hours ago, Jacky2611 said:

But why would you even want to create a copy of the overworld?

I'm remaking an old mod and one of the blocks is regenerative of the mirror world. So it looks in mirror world, checks if blocks are same, and if not, makes it so.

8 minutes ago, Durtle02 said:

I'm remaking an old mod and one of the blocks is regenerative of the mirror world. So it looks in mirror world, checks if blocks are same, and if not, makes it so.

What is the range of the regen? One chunk the whole world? A couple blocks?

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

3 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

What is the range of the regen? One chunk the whole world? A couple blocks?

So you place it and it checks the surrounding blocks. If they are different, if they are it sets them as itself and turns itself to whatever the block is at it's cords in the mirror world (using random ticks). If it's not the same, it sets itself as air and doesn't change any others. 
Recreating this: 

1 minute ago, Durtle02 said:

So you place it and it checks the surrounding blocks. If they are different, if they are it sets them as itself and turns itself to whatever the block is at it's cords in the mirror world (using random ticks). If it's not the same, it sets itself as air and doesn't change any others. 
Recreating this: 

Instead of creating a mirror dimension/World instance, I would say use WorldSaveDatat and the chunk loading event. On a chunks first load load the chunk into nbt and then put that nbt in a Map<ChunkPos, NBTTagCompound(or some other nbt thing)>. Then save all of this in WorldSaveData to the disk. And load it when the world loads back into the map. The map should be static and only changed and accessed on the Server side. Then you can access the Map in your Blocks class and change the Blocks according to the NBT.

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Just now, Durtle02 said:

You will need to be able to get to the dimension though.

Why? What you explained was that it just needs to load from an original copy of the world.

1 minute ago, Animefan8888 said:

Why? What you explained was that it just needs to load from an original copy of the world.

I don't know how to explain it but they do. 

Also I want players to be able to get there.

4 minutes ago, Durtle02 said:

I don't know how to explain it but they do. 

Also I want players to be able to get there.

Then you could probably just do DimensionManager.registerDimension(id, DimensionType.OVERWORLD), I am not sure, but that will make the WorldProvider the same so it might.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

Then you could probably just do DimensionManager.registerDimension(id, DimensionType.OVERWORLD), I am not sure, but that will make the WorldProvider the same so it might.

Where would I go doing this? In my dimension files, correct?

Just now, Durtle02 said:

Where would I go doing this? In my dimension files, correct?

It has to be called from your @Mod class.

• Like 1

One of the inits. Not sure which one though.

Edit: preinit

And thx, your video just gave me an idea on how to solve one of my own problems. (Without overloading the server)

And do you need something to teleport you to your dimension?

Edited by Jacky2611

And if I wanted to use it like this 

public void blockSpread(World world, BlockPos posNumber){
    if (world.getBlockState(posNumber).getBlock() != Blocks.AIR){

}
  }

how would I do so?

What exactly is this supposed to do, where is it, and could you please rename posNumber to pos?

Show us more code. Preferably a GitHub repo.

4 minutes ago, Jacky2611 said:

What exactly is this supposed to do, where is it, and could you please rename posNumber to pos?

It's just an example. If I wanted to use detection like that with the other world. Pos is blocks location.

public void blockSpread(World world, BlockPos posNumber)
  {
    if (world.getBlockState(posNumber).getBlock() != MirrorWorld.getBlockState(posNumber).getBlock()){
    	world.setBlockState(posNumber, MirrorWorld.getBlockState(posNumber));
	}
  }

Like this.

It's just an example. If I wanted to use detection like that with the other world. Pos is blocks location.

if (!world.isRemote) {
	WorldServer mirrorWorld = DimensionManager.getWorld(id);
	// Do stuff
}

• Like 1

if (!world.isRemote) {
	WorldServer mirrorWorld = DimensionManager.getWorld(id);
	// Do stuff
}

So then to test for in other world what would I run in '//Do stuff'? Like how this 

world.getBlockState(posNumber).getBlock()

will modify in the overworld with what I have but what would it look like for the mirrorworld?

Just now, Durtle02 said:

So then to test for in other world what would I run in '//Do stuff'? Like how this 

world.getBlockState(posNumber).getBlock()

will modify in the overworld with what I have but what would it look like for the mirrorworld?

mirrorWorld.getBlockState() Gets from the mirror world.

world.setBlockState(...) Sets a blockstate in the overworld

Also IBlockStates are singletons so compare with ==

• Like 1

mirrorWorld.getBlockState() Gets from the mirror world.

world.setBlockState(...) Sets a blockstate in the overworld

Also IBlockStates are singletons so compare with ==

Alright will do! Thanks for all the help and bearing me, I have very little clue what I'm doing and with such little preexisting resources it makes it hard to find out. I always hate asking on the forums because I feel like I'm wasting peoples time so thank you.

Just now, Durtle02 said:

I always hate asking on the forums because I feel like I'm wasting peoples time so thank you.

No problem. I can't speak for others, but I am on here because I like helping people debug their code and help them with ideas somewhat. So you are not wasting my time.

• Like 1

Just now, Animefan8888 said:

So you are not wasting my time.

No so much wasting time but just having little knowledge of what I'm doing, but that's why people help, so then later I can help too.

Nah, we are perfectly happy helping you as long as the best answer gets a like. And it's not like I have anything better to do. My own mods usually run out of ideas or I get stuck in some really boring part of development. (like writing jsons. ugh)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jacky2611 said:

Nah, we are perfectly happy helping you as long as the best answer gets a like. And it's not like I have anything better to do. My own mods usually run out of ideas or I get stuck in some really boring part of development. (like writing jsons. ugh)

Then again you could just make a json writer for yourself. I already made a BlockState writer. It does both the forge and vanilla BlockState jsons.

Edited by Animefan8888
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

Then again you could just make a is in writer for yourself. I already made a BlockState writer. It does both the forge and vanilla BlockState jsons.

Fun things: one of the things at the top of my possible projects list is a model json maker. But writing a really good ui and figuring out the eclipse api would be so boring...

• Like 1