[SOLVED] Dealing with malformed packets.

Lucius Q. User

If a certain kind of packet is recieved on a server, then either the mod has a bug, or the client is hacking. What should the server do in such situation? Kick the player from server? Tell the player in chat that a error occured? Something entirely different?

Edited by Lucius Q. User

5 hours ago, Lucius Q. User said:

Let's say in my mod a have a gui that allows the player to select a block in the world. When the block is selected, the client sends a packet with it's coordinates to the server. Some blocks can't be selected in this manner and the gui disallows them from being selected. 

My question is: What should the server do, if the packet contains coordinates for one of the disallowed blocks. Kick the player from server? Tell the player in chat that a error occured? Something entirely different?

Ok. So the thing is that even when you are playing in singleplayer there is still a server. In Minecraft we have both physical and logical sides. Meaning that singleplayer both has a server and a client, and Multiplayer is separated physically between server and client. So I suggest just telling the player that the block(s) that s/he selected are wrong and which ones they selected are wrong.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

39 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

Ok. So the thing is that even when you are playing in singleplayer there is still a server. In Minecraft we have both physical and logical sides. Meaning that singleplayer both has a server and a client, and Multiplayer is separated physically between server and client. So I suggest just telling the player that the block(s) that s/he selected are wrong and which ones they selected are wrong.

Sigh.

1. I know about sides, thanks.

2. The question is: If a certain kind of packet is recieved on a server, then either the mod has a bug, or the client is hacking. What should i do in such situation. 

I edited the OP to make it more concise. 

1 minute ago, Lucius Q. User said:

The question is: If a certain kind of packet is recieved on a server, then either the mod has a bug, or the client is hacking. What should i do in such situation. 

I would make it a config option. Allow the server admin(s) to selected between kicking or sending a message.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.