[1.10.2] Add a potion effect to an armor

themistik

Hello.

A pretty simple question for you maybe, but for me, I just feel PAIN. I've search for hours, and no one technique works...

Like the title of the topic, all I want is to add a Potion effect to an armor.

public class ItemModArmor extends ItemArmor{

private PotionEffect[] effects;

public ItemModArmor(ArmorMaterial materialIn, int renderIndexIn, EntityEquipmentSlot equipmentSlotIn, String unlocalizedName) {
		super(materialIn, renderIndexIn, equipmentSlotIn);
		this.setUnlocalizedName(unlocalizedName);
		this.setRegistryName(new ResourceLocation(References.MODID, unlocalizedName));
	}

public ItemModArmor(ArmorMaterial materialIn, int renderIndexIn, EntityEquipmentSlot equipmentSlotIn, String unlocalizedName, PotionEffect...potionEffects) {
		super(materialIn, renderIndexIn, equipmentSlotIn);
		this.effects = potionEffects;
	}

protected void onArmorTick(ItemStack stack, World worldIn, EntityPlayer player)
	{
	    if (stack.getItem() == ModArmor.canardChestplate) {
			for(PotionEffect effect : effects) {
				player.addPotionEffect(new PotionEffect(effect));
			}
	    }
	}

this is my main class for the armor. Easy to use.

First, I wanted to stay in this "easy to use" way. So I was think if the armor works like the food ; You added a potion effect to your constructor, like this :

public class ItemModFood extends ItemFood{

private PotionEffect[] effects;

public ItemModFood(String unlocalizedName, int amount, boolean isWolfFood, PotionEffect...potionEffects) {
		super(amount, isWolfFood);
		// TODO Auto-generated constructor stub
	}

public ItemModFood(String unlocalizedName, int amount, float saturation, boolean isWolfFood, PotionEffect...potionEffects) {
		super(amount, saturation, isWolfFood);
		// TODO Auto-generated constructor stub
	}

protected void onFoodEaten(ItemStack stack, World worldIn, EntityPlayer player)
	{
		}
	}

And I define the potion effects in my ModFood class, the one who is initalized.

public static void init() {
		weed = new ItemModFood("weed", 1, 1, false, new PotionEffect(Potion.getPotionById(9), 500, 0), new PotionEffect(Potion.getPotionById(1), 500, 0));
	}

public static void register() {
		registerItem(weed);
	}

public static void registerRenders() {
		registerRender(weed);
	}

public static void registerItem(Item item) {
		item.setCreativeTab(MainClass.Tab);
		GameRegistry.register(item);
		Utools.getLogger().info("Register item for" + item.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5));
	}

public static void registerRender(Item item) {
		ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(item, 0, new ModelResourceLocation(new ResourceLocation(References.MODID, item.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5)), "inventory"));
		Utools.getLogger().info("Registered render for " + item.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5));
	}
}

(Sorry for the weed'joke, It was a request from a friend of mine, and I've seen in this item a good way to learn how to add potion effect to food stuff)

So, this works. There is a way to make this for an armor ? Because I've tried, but it dosen't work this way, obviously. So I've tried many things from other tutorials/videos, but I dosen't work.

After a decade, I've abandonned this "easy to use" method, and try an "harder" method. BUT ! This one dosen't work too !

protected void onArmorTick(ItemStack stack, World worldIn, EntityPlayer player)
	{
	    if (stack.getItem() == ModArmor.canardChestplate) {
			}
	    }
	}

This is in my main class for armor.

I'm so lost I'm ready to throw anything up...

All I want, is to add a potion effect to an armor. If this is possibile, making the potion effect easy to add like the food method.

Thanks for the help.

Ps : Sorry if you don't understand all of this, English is not my native langage. Don't hestitate to ask me something.

The constructor you're using for your new PotionEffect() is one which assigns a duration of 0 to the effect. Most effects won't actually be visible with a zero duration. You should try using one of the other constructors which takes in a duration and using a non-zero duration with it. If that still doesn't work, try adding a System.out.println() debug output inside that FOR loop to see if it's even running, and what the effect is if so; that should give you some more insight into the problem.

Whatever Minecraft needs, it is most likely not yet another tool tier.

Are you sure ? Beacause I have this :

595760d983b4c_Sanstiqzdqzdqzdqzdtre.png.040c227680621912f96a2a091fb31a5f.png

I'll give a try for the PrintIn.

EDIT :

It seems its my For who dosen't work.

I have tried that :

Captqzdqzdure.PNG.ff86f29e2b0d8ef915a935a9f70e1c47.PNG

The console dosent show me anything about it.

Edited by themistik
added screenshot

2 minutes ago, IceMetalPunk said:

The constructor you're using for your new PotionEffect() is one which assigns a duration of 0 to the effect.

No, he isn't. The constructor for PotionEffect takes in a Potion, duration and then amplifier so OP is passing 500 as the duration.

Getting potions by ID though... 

19 minutes ago, themistik said:

Potion.getPotionById(9)

Should not be used. I personaly have no idea what is potion with an ID of 9. And what if it changes later? Potions should be referenced from the MobEffects class instead of their IDs.

22 minutes ago, themistik said:

Unlocalized names have nothing to do with registry names.

26 minutes ago, themistik said:

onArmorTick(ItemStack stack, World worldIn, EntityPlayer player)

This signature doesn't look right to me. I think that the method params have a different order. Add an Override annotation to the method. If eclipse reports an error then I am correct. You should not manually write overrides, let your IDE do that for you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

No, he isn't. The constructor for PotionEffect takes in a Potion, duration and then amplifier so OP is passing 500 as the duration.

Getting potions by ID though... 

Should not be used. I personaly have no idea what is potion with an ID of 9. And what if it changes later? Potions should be referenced from the MobEffects class instead of their IDs.

Unlocalized names have nothing to do with registry names.

This signature doesn't look right to me. I think that the method params have a different order. Add an Override annotation to the method. If eclipse reports an error then I am correct. You should not manually write overrides, let your IDE do that for you.

The tutorial i'm using uses PotionEffect with an Id. I don't want to screw up things so I don't try anything this way

Same thing for " this.setRegistryName(new ResourceLocation(References.MODID, unlocalizedName)); "

For the signature, yes your are correct.

1 minute ago, V0idWa1k3r said:

*Facepalm* Whoops, I was looking at an entirely different line of code when I wrote that... I probably shouldn't try to help people at 4AM without sleep. I guess I'm taking the "Always Be Coding" motto too far...

Sorry, themistik! But, yes, as voidwalker pointed out, you've got your order of parameters mixed up; the ItemStack comes last, not first.

• Like 1

Whatever Minecraft needs, it is most likely not yet another tool tier.