Suffocation support?

RaustBD

Hey, does Forge currently support alternate conditions for suffocation besides being in water? See, I have a very minor, not-officially-released mod that would greatly benefit from being able to make the player start suffocating under alternate conditions. Am I in luck?

Basically, what I wanted to do was make it so that the player took suffocation damage from open flames in areas not exposed to the sky. I suppose I could just make the game randomly inflict suffocation damage on the player using an ontick or something, though this would certainly be nicer...

Doing things 'onTick' is bad

It causes sutpid crap and the lead cause of lag on servers.

Why not make a smoke block, that can suffocate the player but let them walk through it, just like water does?

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

I think my air spreader mod may help you.

Here is the code you should look at:

public void updateTick(World par1World, int par2, int par3, int par4, Random par5Random)
    {
        if (!par1World.isRemote)
        {
                for (int var6 = 0; var6 < 4; ++var6)
                {
                    int var7 = par2 + par5Random.nextInt(3) - 1;
                    int var8 = par3 + par5Random.nextInt(5) - 3;
                    int var9 = par4 + par5Random.nextInt(3) - 1;
                    int var10 = par1World.getBlockId(var7, var8 + 1, var9);

if (par1World.getBlockId(var7, var8, var9) == 0)
                    {
                        par1World.setBlockWithNotify(var7, var8, var9, mod_airSpread.airSpreader.blockID);
                    }
                }
        }
    }

I use that to make my block spread through the air.  You can easily change it to make a "smoke" block spread and "suffocate" the player.  It technically already does that.

width=320 height=64http://www.slothygaming.com/img/ota.png[/img]

If your grammar is shit and you blatantly don't know what you're doing, I will not help you.

done right that code could be used to make cool environmental lighting effects. since the player could think the air is green or red though its still giving off white light. also too suffocate the player or add strange effects too the player like reduced speed, jumping or increase damage taken.

I used it for more of a survival thing.  http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1312152-making-mods-for-free

Just download the mod_airSpread.  It really does cause a interesting survival effect.  You need the latest version of Forge or you will get a visual error while holding it.

If your grammar is shit and you blatantly don't know what you're doing, I will not help you.

I used it for more of a survival thing.  http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1312152-making-mods-for-free

Just download the mod_airSpread.  It really does cause a interesting survival effect.  You need the latest version of Forge or you will get a visual error while holding it.

How much extra load does this place on a computer? I really like the idea and want to use it on SMP to make it hard for players to survive. think i can look at your source code and see about making it smp for you?

I can make a SMP version for you.  The problem is when it gets REALLY big.  My computer can handle it just fine.  As long as it isn't on a really big server with lots of people, it should be okay.  It uses grass logic but it has no special conditions for expanding.  It just does.

I can make a SMP version for you.  The problem is when it gets REALLY big.  My computer can handle it just fine.  As long as it isn't on a really big server with lots of people, it should be okay.  It uses grass logic but it has no special conditions for expanding.  It just does.

hmm seems easy enough though if i do add it to my server i might change its look and add special conditions to spread. My idea is too add it only to the nether world that way its no so bad for lag. Maybe just add it to the world generator for the nether to replace air.

I will make a special version for you so it replaces air in the nether and doesn't suffocate you when it spreads into your face, unless you want that.  Just PM me what you want it to do and I can make a version like that.

I will make a special version for you so it replaces air in the nether and doesn't suffocate you when it spreads into your face, unless you want that.  Just PM me what you want it to do and I can make a version like that.

I was thinking of making it so the player had to wear protective armor in order to walk around in it. Plus have a limited air supply. Though if you don't mind i can code it myself if you want to work on something else.