Developing a new mod in modded environment

Jagholin

Hello fellow developers,

I want to create a new mod, that would interact with other forge mods(e.g. Thaumcraft) by means of present open APIs. I also want to be able to run/debug my mod directly from an IDE(i use Eclipse).

That's where i run into some problems. Obviously i cannot use obfuscated archives of other mods in Forge's standard minecraft environment(as i understand, the minecraft's jars in Forge are deobfuscated by MCP). I also obviously have no access to other mod's sources(Thaumcraft is closed source mod).

As i see it now, there are 2 possible ways:

1. De-compile the 3rd party mods with MCP, change the minecraft names to deobfuscated ones, compile it back again, and put resulting zip/jars into /forge/mcp/jars/mods

2. Change the eclipse environment so that, after pressing the run button, it automatically compiles and obfuscates my sources, creates an archive, puts it in external minecraft's mod folder, and runs that minecraft instance. Obviously, this is worse because of additional overhead/inability to debug obfuscated sources.

It seems to me, there must be a standard approach to this, i just cant find it yet.

If the mods you want have an API then you can use that and you should be fine to interact with that mod, when the mod is closed down and ain't telling you how to access it's code or interact with it then you can't as far as I know directly mod addon's to that mod.

Except for the fact that if you mod using Forge's hooks and interfaces many mods can use that to interact with your mods, for example the ISidedInventory interface makes it possible for BC pipes to connect to your inventory blocks, even without using any kind of code from BC or any API.

As for mods which have API's you could import the API's or Whole mods(in case of open soruce mods) as separate projects into eclipse and then use their contents to integrate your mod with their's.

If you guys dont get it.. then well ya.. try harder...

• 4 weeks later...

And by the way there's Bearded Octo Nemesis.

Deobfuscate the mods in question, then dump em into your mcp mods folder.

Read the EAQ before posting! OR ELSE!

This isn't building better software, its trying to grab a place in the commit list of a highly visible github project.

www.forgeessentials.com

Don't PM me, I don't check this account unless I have to.