Mod Download Site

calclavia

i actual could care less if its associated with forge, i'm just looking to make an auto updater/installer. Something simple that pulls from the game server and build a list from the urls provided. Also show the adfly links and stuff so modder don't fell cheated of there .0005$ a view. Similar to techie pack's auto installer that uses spout's src. But, thank you for making it clear you don't want this for forge.

Just gunna point it out again, that I am not gunna sanction any of this.

It is a LARGE endeavor. And I know you all mean well, but honestly I doubt any of you aside from Overmind have the skills or experience to pull it off.

Not trying to be a dick, its just the facts.

None of your ideas are special or unique, I can personally say I've considered them all before.

Forge is NOT a full blown Modding API.

Forge is NOT the end-all be-all for modding.

That is up to Mojang to do, it is there project. It is there company, it is there responsibility to do this. It's what they get paid for.

There are already a plethora of other tools out there that make mod management a cake walk. And with a few things that I have in mind for Forge in the future even simpler, but, the full blown system like you guys are talking about is NOT something that Forge should be doing or associated with.

I understand why you guys want the Forge name associated with it, because if you didn't have the name, you'd fall to ambiguity along with the many other sites/systems like this that have already been made.

But unless something major happens related to Minecraft, I don't see this coming to fruit.

You speak the truth. We were just coming up with ideas. No action has been actually done yet.

The reason I wanted this to be part of Forge is because it will sound "more official" than just a random installer, and also Forge is so far the more organized forum on mods.

But if Forge officials do not agree with this (you), so be it. You said previously that even after the modding API comes out, Minecraft won't have such a thing. I am not sure if that is an assumption or a fact. I don't think mods are mojang's responsibility until the modding API comes out. What would Forge be after the modding API comes out? A communnity for modders?

But anyway, I respect your rejection, an its fine.

i actual could care less if its associated with forge, i'm just looking to make an auto updater/installer. Something simple that pulls from the game server and build a list from the urls provided. Also show the adfly links and stuff so modder don't fell cheated of there .0005$ a view. Similar to techie pack's auto installer that uses spout's src. But, thank you for making it clear you don't want this for forge.

If it's just a installer, it should be easy enough. Consider making this in Java so it would be Mac compatible.

The plan was to always make an updater/installer in java. Since one of the updater i used for my server works well its just not comparable with linix or mac(s). For the moment i just want to get a basic version done that download all the mods from the modder's sites. Showing there site and/or the adfly link in some cases too maybe bypass needing to get full permission. Though i'll still ask first so i can get the direct links and a banner/pic too show instead of a site. Though right now this is all ideals, at the moment we need to get something started. Calclaiva how long do you think it would take you to get a app done with a few buttons?

Also not being grouped with Forge is a good thing. This way when the updater/installer is done no one will think forge only mods are offered. :)

The plan was to always make an updater/installer in java. Since one of the updater i used for my server works well its just not comparable with linix or mac(s). For the moment i just want to get a basic version done that download all the mods from the modder's sites. Showing there site and/or the adfly link in some cases too maybe bypass needing to get full permission. Though i'll still ask first so i can get the direct links and a banner/pic too show instead of a site. Though right now this is all ideals, at the moment we need to get something started. Calclaiva how long do you think it would take you to get a app done with a few buttons?

Also not being grouped with Forge is a good thing. This way when the updater/installer is done no one will think forge only mods are offered. :)

I am not sure. This is a side project after all for me. My main projects are ICBM and Universal Electricity which are pretty big projects. I looked at this example and I thought it might be helpful for you: http://netbeans.org/kb/docs/java/gui-functionality.html

I will be posting source codes in this Repo in the future: https://github.com/calclavia/mod-installer

You speak the truth. We were just coming up with ideas. No action has been actually done yet.

The reason I wanted this to be part of Forge is because it will sound "more official" than just a random installer, and also Forge is so far the more organized forum on mods.

But if Forge officials do not agree with this (you), so be it. You said previously that even after the modding API comes out, Minecraft won't have such a thing. I am not sure if that is an assumption or a fact. I don't think mods are mojang's responsibility until the modding API comes out. What would Forge be after the modding API comes out? A communnity for modders?

But anyway, I respect your rejection, an its fine.

As long as you guys understand that it is far more then just coming up with ideas, or coming up with functional code. a project like this has many many facets that if you don't plan for will make things explode.

I never said that after the modidng api comes out, Mojang won't have such a thing. And if I did, times have changed. All I have to say about that is that I can't speak of it definitively because the information I have been given is neither official nore mine to give out.

But, a undertaking of such magnitude is something best left for those with the resources and experience to pull it off properly. {Mojang} There is nothing wrong with spitballing theoretical ideas, but just to remind you, Forge has already crashed 3 high end servers with its downloads, what would you expect from something that has to chime in every time someone connects to a server or logs in?

For the current time modding is a good enough state that unless people are really stupid they should be just fine installing things. However, if you really want to be helpful, you could write tutorials and point people in the direction of the plethora of already available tools. Most people don't use them simply out of ignorance to there existence.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

i understand that this isnt gonna happen, and i agree with the reasons for it not happening.

however, id just like to point out that making it wouldnt be as complex as you guys are thinking :P

in the JEditorPane class theres a very nice method called setPage(String url) that as you can guess will display a HTML file in the JEditorPane... just thought id mention that :)

i understand that this isnt gonna happen, and i agree with the reasons for it not happening.

however, id just like to point out that making it wouldnt be as complex as you guys are thinking :P

in the JEditorPane class theres a very nice method called setPage(String url) that as you can guess will display a HTML file in the JEditorPane... just thought id mention that :)

Yeah we're simply making a mod installer that displays the ads of the mods so it's legal.

yep...

web browsers are possibly one of the easiest useful programs to make, i think i got a very basic one in java down to about 30 lines of code... and i cant see a program like this differing from a web browser too much

'it' being the entire project, the server backend, the support experience and experience designing the architecture that will be needed to run this type of thing.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

We don't really need that big of a server back end if most of the stuff is handled client side and by the package makers. The only things the server will do is tell the client the list of mods it needs. It will never actually store any of the mods or provide download for mods. Mostly the mod list would already be download and only update if the version # don't match.

We don't really need that big of a server back end if most of the stuff is handled client side and by the package makers. The only things the server will do is tell the client the list of mods it needs. It will never actually store any of the mods or provide download for mods. Mostly the mod list would already be download and only update if the version # don't match.

That still requires more work than you would think.

In my mind nothing takes a lot of work, but from your view you might be right. Mainly since i don't know the full extent that it takes too make the server half of this. Only problem i do see though is keeping version # strait with what is downloaded. If the file name doesn't match the version #'s name it won't install right. Other than that its simple download and move around.

Handling configurations of mods, getting them to work together for block IDs (very few use a decent and uniform configuration system, forge needs to enforce such a thing or so, ID conflicts are irritating), synchronizing with a server, etc...

I agree. Even with 4069 IDs, it's still possible to get a ID conflict. Forge should handle ID syncs in servers. Simply send a data pack with IDs for mods that use them and then change the clients IDs to fit the server. Once again it's easy to say it but might not be easy to actually do this...

Handling configurations of mods, getting them to work together for block IDs (very few use a decent and uniform configuration system, forge needs to enforce such a thing or so, ID conflicts are irritating), synchronizing with a server, etc...

I agree. Even with 4069 IDs, it's still possible to get a ID conflict. Forge should handle ID syncs in servers. Simply send a data pack with IDs for mods that use them and then change the clients IDs to fit the server. Once again it's easy to say it but might not be easy to actually do this...

There is already a pull request for that on github, just needs cleaning and such.