Need help understanding the client/server model.

dAkshEN3

I'm working on a mod which requires extra data for each loaded chunk to be synchronised  between players, as well as updated periodically on the server and the players then sent the updated data. However, The huge lack of tutorials and examples of this kind of system makes it incredibly difficult to work out how to implement.

I have spend days looking through the code and trying to work out how the hell it all works, but I still cannot understand it. So I here are some questions I need answered:

Does the server know where each player is?

Does the server know which chunks each player has loaded?

In a multiplayer game, which side (client or server) receives ChunkEvents and ChunkDataEvents?

In a multiplayer game, which side holds the entities?

Are there any existing open-source forge mods which also have to sync additional chunk data that I can use as reference? The only mod I can think of is ThaumCraft, but it's closed-source.

Thanks to anyone who can answer any of these questions. I have asked similar questions here previously and gotten no response, despite being unable to find any tutorials on the subject.

"The hypothesis of God gives an incomparably absolute opportunity to understand everything and know absolutely nothing. Give man an extremely simplified system of the world and explain every phenomenon away on the basis of that system." - Arkady/Boris Strugatsky

Creator of Advanced Power Systems for BuildCraft

• 1 month later...