Where do I find some documentation to Minecraft mechanics?

DeadPix

I am looking for something like documentation to mechanics of the game and the values of different attributes (right now, for example I would like to know what number should I put in MovementInput.moveForward and MovementInput.moveStrafe to make it the same values as is normal for walking & sprinting in Minecraft.

But in the future I am sure I will have to handle more stuff like this and I will have to look up other values for other attributes. Where can I find those things? I checked for example this: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Sprinting, but it has certainly different values than those I should put in the mentioned class.

If you can't find documentation, look at the implementation.

MovementInputFromOptions#updatePlayerMoveState

increments/decrements

MovementInput#moveForward

and

MovementInput#moveStrafe

based on which movement keys are pressed and then multiplies them by 0.3 if the sneak key is pressed.

EntityPlayerSP#onLivingUpdate

calls

and handles most player movement input (e.g. flying/sprinting toggles, flying vertical movement).

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Thank you for replying. Now I am looking into the implementation as you suggested and can't wrap my mind around this - in EntityPlayerSP on lines 913~917 I see following code:

boolean flag = this.movementInput.jump;
        boolean flag1 = this.movementInput.sneak;
        float f = 0.8F;
        boolean flag2 = this.movementInput.moveForward >= f;
        this.movementInput.updatePlayerMoveState();

When I look into MovementInput#updatePlayerMoveState(), its implementation is blank. Why? And what is the purpose of this in a bigger picture?

What I am pretty much trying to do is essentially simulate player control - I want my mode to take over control and do some actions. My current idea is to implement logic that would every tick (onPlayerTick?) check the state of current task to be performed (for example "travel to coordinates", "break a block" and similar). I will have probably a lot of smaller classes representing tasks to be executed and will be executing them in order to accomplish bigger tasks: e.g. "get to x,y,z" will be composed of "travel to x+1, z+1, adjust y if needed" where "adjust y if needed" would be composed of some logic that would determine when to jump/place a block, how many blocks to place.

For this, will I need to know stuff like "how long in ticks does it take for this particular block to break"? And what do you think of my current approach? Do you see possible weak spots in doing this the way I am currently planning to do it?

Also, would you recommend to me to use something else than setting up MovementInput value properly and putting it to getMinecraft().thePlayer.movementInput?

Thanks in advance for any help provided!

I recommend finding the vanilla mob AI classes, setting some break points, and then tracing the "thought" processes of a few animals and monsters as the game runs in the debugger. Watching variables such as speed and acceleration will give you benchmarks.

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

Thank you for replying. Now I am looking into the implementation as you suggested and can't wrap my mind around this - in EntityPlayerSP on lines 913~917 I see following code:

boolean flag = this.movementInput.jump;
        boolean flag1 = this.movementInput.sneak;
        float f = 0.8F;
        boolean flag2 = this.movementInput.moveForward >= f;
        this.movementInput.updatePlayerMoveState();

When I look into MovementInput#updatePlayerMoveState(), its implementation is blank. Why? And what is the purpose of this in a bigger picture?

MovementInput#updatePlayerMoveState

is overridden by

, which actually reads the player's input. In vanilla,

EntityPlayerSP#movementInput

is always an instance of

MovementInputFromOptions

Those flags store the

MovementInput

values from the previous tick before updating the

MovementInput

with the player's current input.

flag

(set from

MovementInput#jump

) is used to toggle creative and elytra flight and to charge/release the horse jump meter.

flag1

(set from

MovementInput#sneak

) and

flag2

(set from

MovementInput#moveForward

being greater than or equal to [nobbc]0.8)[/nobbc] is used to toggle sprinting (i.e. only start sprinting if the player wasn't holding sneak and wasn't moving forward at full speed).

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.