1.11.2 Creating custom Ore. [SOLVED]

DavidSullivan

New to this so bare with me please.

I am now making blocks no problem but I want to make a custom ore.

I can see there is a class BlockOre.

One would think that all ores drop metals so why don't they have a setItemDropped or SetOreDropped function?

Or am I missing something.

Do I really have to extend and override to return the idDropped?

If so what is the point of BlockOre?

Because vanilla ore blocks drop themselves, which is handled by the super class,

Block

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

David what exactly are you looking to do?

I Love To Help People. Unless They Are The Kind Of People Who Just Doesn't Know Anything. Those People Need Some Serious Help. This Could Help But......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t0GlXWx_PY

ThingsMod Git: https://github.com/EscapeMC/Things-Mod-1.10.2

TeamMadness Mod Git: https://github.com/EscapeMC/TeamMadness-Mod-1.10.2

If I somehow help you, please click the "Thank You" button. If I am a total waste of time, please click the "Applaud" button.

I'm designing my first mod. I figure in order to build the stuff in my mod I will need some custom ores.

Figured I should add a copper ore, which would smelt to Copper_Ingots

then I could use those those in recipes to build custom engines and such in the future.

If Im reading this correct I simply extend the BlockOre and

@overide

public Item getItemDropped(IBlockState state, Random rand, int fortune)

or is this an old way of doing it?

OK. I can make blocks and declare things like

cheese = new ItemFood(...

and I understand this gives said Item certain properties that make it act like food.

I can't find one that looks obvious like ItemOre or ItemMetal.

Is there one that makes it able to be melted in the forge?

I'm designing my first mod. I figure in order to build the stuff in my mod I will need some custom ores.

Figured I should add a copper ore, which would smelt to Copper_Ingots

then I could use those those in recipes to build custom engines and such in the future.

If Im reading this correct I simply extend the BlockOre and

@overide

public Item getItemDropped(IBlockState state, Random rand, int fortune)

or is this an old way of doing it?

If you're looking to have a block that when destroyed it drops itself, do nothing. If you want this "Copper Ore" to drop "Copper Ingot" when destroyed, use

this.getItemDropped(state, rand, fortune)

in the block class itself.

Is that right diesieben07?

OK. I can make blocks and declare things like

cheese = new ItemFood(...

and I understand this gives said Item certain properties that make it act like food.

I can't find one that looks obvious like ItemOre or ItemMetal.

Is there one that makes it able to be melted in the forge?

If you want a smelting recipe, you need to use GameRegistry.addSmelting in the init.

I Love To Help People. Unless They Are The Kind Of People Who Just Doesn't Know Anything. Those People Need Some Serious Help. This Could Help But......

If I somehow help you, please click the "Thank You" button. If I am a total waste of time, please click the "Applaud" button.

This seems like a really common task for most modders

has anyone ever created a custom ore and do you have a code example that will simplify this.

If not I will figure it out and post one eventually.

If you want example code for an ore, look in my signature for my GitHub on TeamMadness Mod, I made many ores there.

If you want a smelting recipe, you need to use GameRegistry.addSmelting in the init.
preInit.

Oh, I use my smelting and crafting recipes in the init. Sorry

These are great comments everyone thanks you. So taking different bits.

I made a normal block called copperBlock

in the language pack I called it Copper Ore.

when destroyed it drops a block of copper ore.

Then I added

GameRegistry.addSmelting(copperBlock, new ItemStack(ModItems.cheese, 2), 3F);

just to test it. cheese is a custom Item I added earlier.

now when I put the copper in the furnace it wont burn.

what am I missing

Well, we don't have access to all of your code. Care to post any of it so we can actually help you?

Sure I'll start with this and you tell me if you need more.

package me.DSul.SullyModPack.Init;

import me.DSul.SullyModPack.ModInfo;

import net.minecraft.block.Block;

import net.minecraft.block.BlockOre;

import net.minecraft.block.material.MapColor;

import net.minecraft.block.material.Material;

import net.minecraft.client.renderer.block.model.ModelResourceLocation;

import net.minecraft.creativetab.CreativeTabs;

import net.minecraft.init.Items;

import net.minecraft.item.Item;

import net.minecraft.item.ItemBlock;

import net.minecraft.item.ItemStack;

import net.minecraft.util.ResourceLocation;

import net.minecraftforge.client.model.ModelLoader;

import net.minecraftforge.fml.common.registry.GameRegistry;

/**

* Created by ManLand-PC on 1/19/2017.

*/

public class ModBlocks {

public static Block cheeseBlock;

public static Block copperBlock;

public static void init(){

cheeseBlock = new Block(Material.SPONGE).setUnlocalizedName("cheeseblock").setCreativeTab(CreativeTabs.DECORATIONS);

copperBlock = new Block(Material.IRON).setUnlocalizedName("copperblock").setCreativeTab(CreativeTabs.DECORATIONS);

copperBlock.setHardness(2f);

}

public static void registerBlocks(){

registerBlock(cheeseBlock);

registerBlock(copperBlock);

}

public static void registerRenders(){

registerRender(cheeseBlock);

registerRender(copperBlock);

}

public static void registerRender(Block block){

Item item = Item.getItemFromBlock(block);

ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation(item, 0, new ModelResourceLocation(ModInfo.MOD_ID + ":" + item.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5), "inventory"));

}

public static void registerBlock(Block block){

GameRegistry.register(block, new ResourceLocation(ModInfo.MOD_ID, block.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5)));

GameRegistry.register(new ItemBlock(block), new ResourceLocation(ModInfo.MOD_ID, block.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5)));

}

}

By the way, "3.0" there isn't any different than "1.0"

The number is the "probability that the furnace will drop 1 experience per item smelted."  A value greater than 1 is treated as 1.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

I found the problem.

I was GameRegistry.addSmelting(copperBlock, new ItemStack(ModItems.cheese, 2), 3F);

before I even registered the blocks.

Moved it to the end of

public static void registerBlocks(){

registerBlock(cheeseBlock);

registerBlock(copperBlock);

}

and now it works.

[[[ SOLVED ]]]

super easy to make custom ore blocks.

just create a normal block with your ore name then after registeringItems and registeringBlocks

--> so the game knows what you are working with

use

Cough. [nobbc][nobbc][/nobbc] is a thing, guys.

It is a tag that prevents BBcode inside it from being parsed.

Watch.

[nobbc]This sentence is rendered as is[/nobbc]

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, supreme marshal said:

I have the same problem, I created some custom block but when I create a Smelting Recipe, the block won't burn in the furnace. But I couldn't fix my problem like you did. 

This thread is a year old, if it didn't solve your problem start a new thread which contains all relevant info, such as your code and any errors.