blockActivated hook

MALfunction84

Summary: This hook would allow modders to replace the right-click behavior of existing blocks.

Reasoning: I'm the developer of Somnia, and I'm currently using the ISleepHandler implementation I submitted.  Currently, beds still explode if you sleep in them in other worlds (Nether, The End), and it's something I'd like to change in my mod.  I could edit BlockBed, but a Forge hook seems to be a better option.  But why limit the hook to just the bed block?

Details: Modders would be able to register an IBlockActivation with Forge.  A hook would need to be inserted into the various PlayerController classes in the onPlayerRightClick method.  The hook would consume all the same arguments as the Block.blockActivated method plus the Block type.  It would return true if an activation occurred by a registered IBlockActivation or false if not.  In the false case, it would fall through to call Block.blockActivated normally.

Offer to Implement: I will gladly implement this hook myself on the client-side, but someone else would need to do the server-side implementation.

Slightly offtopic, but I still wonder if there is any chance for an MP capable version of Somnia?  :)

I'd love to make that happen someday, but I have very little time to devote to new development.  It's mostly maintenance these days.

Edit: Official modding support is supposedly coming in 1.4.  I'm eager to see how far that will take me as far as preserving compatibility.

Github in its help has full descriptions for how to do pull requests, let me see if I can find it for you, this is not quite the one I was looking for but is a nice and raw start:  https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo

Regardless, githubs general help has all the information you would need:  https://help.github.com/

Thanks!  I have my repo set up now with ScottKillen as a collaborator.  Right now, it's just an unmodified fork.  I'd like to test my changes before I commit them, but when I run build.bat, I get errors...

=================================== Build Start =================================
src_work -> src
1872 File(s) copied

forge_client -> minecraft
[snip]
17 File(s) copied

forge_server -> minecraft_server
[snip]
3 File(s) copied

forge_common -> minecraft
[snip]
57 File(s) copied

forge_common -> minecraft_server
[snip]
57 File(s) copied

'inject_version.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
'inject_version.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
== MCP 6.2 (data: 6.2, client: 1.2.5, server: 1.2.5) ==
# found jad, ff, jad patches, ff patches, osx patches, srgs, name csvs, doc csvs, param csvs, astyle, astyle config
== Recompiling client ==
> Cleaning bin
> Recompiling
'"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_33\bin\javac" -Xlint:-options -deprecation -g -source 1.6 -target 1....' failed : 1

== ERRORS FOUND ==

src\minecraft\net\minecraft\src\forge\ForgeHooks.java:392: warning: [deprecation] net.minecraft.src.forge.ISpecialMobSpawnHandler in net.minecraft.src.forge has  been deprecated
    static LinkedList<ISpecialMobSpawnHandler> specialMobSpawnHandlers = new LinkedList<ISpecialMobSpawnHandler>();
                      ^

src\minecraft\net\minecraft\src\forge\MinecraftForge.java:181: warning: [deprecation] net.minecraft.src.forge.ISpecialMobSpawnHandler in net.minecraft.src.forge has been deprecated
    public static void registerSpecialMobSpawnHandler(ISpecialMobSpawnHandler handler)
                                                      ^

src\minecraft\net\minecraft\src\forge\ModCompatibilityClient.java:8: cannot find symbol
symbol  : class CodecIBXM
import paulscode.sound.codecs.CodecIBXM;
                             ^

src\minecraft\net\minecraft\src\forge\ModCompatibilityClient.java:130: cannot find symbol
location: class net.minecraft.src.forge.ModCompatibilityClient
        SoundSystemConfig.setCodec("xm",  CodecIBXM.class);
                                          ^

src\minecraft\net\minecraft\src\forge\ModCompatibilityClient.java:131: cannot find symbol
        SoundSystemConfig.setCodec("s3m", CodecIBXM.class);
                                          ^

src\minecraft\net\minecraft\src\forge\ModCompatibilityClient.java:132: cannot find symbol
        SoundSystemConfig.setCodec("mod", CodecIBXM.class);
                                          ^

4 errors
2 warnings
==================

== Recompiling server ==
> Cleaning bin
> Recompiling
- Done in 5.47 seconds
=================================== Build Finished 0 =================================

The file inject_version.bat is not present in the repo anywhere.  It was removed on April 6, 2012.

I have no idea why CodecIBXM.class is not found.  Actually, that's not true.  In build.bat, it only copies the forge_client\src\net path, which omits forge_client\src\paulscode and forgeclient\src\ibxm...

xcopy /Y /E forge\forge_client\src\net\* src\minecraft\net

My only thought is that I must have set up my workspace incorrectly or I'm calling the wrong scripts to test.  Any pointers?

You must of done something wrong because you're using 1/2 updated shit.

inject_versions was MOVED to a python script int he same commit, it was not removed completely.

Not sure how you managed that one.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

You must of done something wrong because you're using 1/2 updated shit.

inject_versions was MOVED to a python script int he same commit, it was not removed completely.

Not sure how you managed that one.

Thanks for responding.  There are still references to inject_version.bat in build.bat, so I guess I shouldn't be using build.bat at all?

Actually, I've replaced the contents of build.bat with the following, and it seems to work:

@echo off
..\runtime\bin\python\python_mcp build.py %*

build.sh and setup.sh should probably be similarly altered to invoke their corresponding python scripts, but all this is outside the scope of the feature I'm trying to add.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...