[1.10.2]Where are banner/shield textures applied?

Electronium

I am attempting to learn how the banners and shields work in Minecraft, and I cannot figure out where the textures are specified for the patterns, nor how they are applied to the model.

I am working on a mod that will allow you to craft a banner with your chestplate to create a tabard, so we can complete that knight's coat of arms look. With the release of shields, I figured this question might be easier to answer, but the only class I can find is the ItemShield class, which doesn't clarify anything any more than the TileEntityBanner class could.

Exploring the Minecraft source code can get really confusing, especially for a relatively new modder like myself. If you can answer my question, that would be amazing, but even a nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you  ;D

(edit) I also get the feeling implementation is gonna be different in a forge mod than it is in the minecraft core, so insight there is also welcome ^~^

Push yourself to make something cool! If you never do it, you never get better than barebones.

Ah, I finally found the renderByItem method in TileEntityItemStackRenderer, so now I think I've gotta figure out how to adjust my armor to render in a similar/the same pipeline. (I believe the latter would require a coremod, wouldn't it?)

I suppose it's time to brush up on rendering techniques in forge

Push yourself to make something cool! If you never do it, you never get better than barebones.

TileEntityItemStackRenderer#renderByItem

is responsible for rendering the banner/shield items (as well as skulls, chests and shulker boxes). This uses

TileEntityBanner#setItemValues

to read colour/pattern data from the

ItemStack

and

BannerTextures.Cache#getResourceLocation

to get the

ResourceLocation

of the shield texture from the

TileEntityBanner

instance.

Mods can register a

TileEntitySpecialRenderer

for their

Item

s, but this is deprecated and will be removed as soon as possible. Instead, you should use the baked model system to generate models and textures at runtime like Forge's

ModelDynBucket

does.

You can also use the capability system to store your data as objects instead of having to read it from and write it to NBT every time you interact with it.

Unfortunately, syncing of item capabilities is tricky. Capability-only changes to an

ItemStack

in a server-side

Container

will cause an

SPacketSetSlot

to be sent for the slot, but this doesn't include the capability data so the client-side copy of the capability data will be reset to the default.

This PR and this issue discuss potential fixes for this.

One way to handle the syncing currently is to register an

IContainerListener

, as described in this thread.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.